grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

8 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Guys, 

I had my single does JNJ vaccine today and have slight temperature and  body ache. Anyway I dont have energy to post detailed numbers but GVK is up almost 68% in MTC1 and about 50% in MTC2. 

AWESOME (about the shot, not the health - I do hope you're also feeling better, and drinking a lot of fluids:)...

• Like 3

On 4/10/2021 at 1:18 PM, Inceptionzq said:

Mortal Kombat Friday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 37 2768 1.34%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 34 2100 1.62%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
199 52 13655 1.46% 9 68

$150 PWPs: 12        
$200 PWPs: 1        
$250 PWPs: 6        
$300 PWPs: 9        
Total 28        

GvK comp: 2.69M

AMC Westminster 24

Total 49 2768 1.77%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 44 2100 2.10%

259 60 13655 1.90%   9  68

$150 PWPs: 13        
Total 29        

Unfortunately no GvK comp for the next few days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just a general question. Were PWP's that prevalent pre-covid? I only started seeing them recently referred to on the forums. 

I just am wondering if these will mainly be a covid period thing, or whether we could see PWPs have an effect post Covid when theatres are back to allowing full attendance (whenever that may be).

10 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

Just a general question. Were PWP's that prevalent pre-covid? I only started seeing them recently referred to on the forums. 

While folks could always rent out theaters, depending on the chain, PWPs became "a thing" during the pandemic.  That is, setting aside showtimes for easy group viewing purchase.

I just am wondering if these will mainly be a covid period thing, or whether we could see PWPs have an effect post Covid when theatres are back to allowing full attendance (whenever that may be).

Cinemark for one seems to be pushing its chips in on the PWP train, with their new "Premium Private Screenings" which we can't even track since that's a "contact us" type thing.

As with most things, I reckon PWPs will be around as long as theaters are making more money on them than what they would get with a normal screening at that time.

In other words, if people keep buying them, sure.  But if people stop buying them, then theaters might reassess once the pandemic is fully in the rear view mirror.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

They didn't exist pre-Covid.  Before groups just bought tickets to regular showings or had to buy out every seat if they wanted an entire showing.

PvPs were created by theater chains (I think Cinemark was 1st, and others copied) to get folks back in during Covid watching any product.  They started with old movies and then grew to include new releases as they happened (at a higher price point).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

While folks could always rent out theaters, depending on the chain, PWPs became "a thing" during the pandemic.  That is, setting aside showtimes for easy group viewing purchase.

Cinemark for one seems to be pushing its chips in on the PWP train, with their new "Premium Private Screenings" which we can't even track since that's a "contact us" type thing.

As with most things, I reckon PWPs will be around as long as theaters are making more money on them than what they would get with a normal screening at that time.

In other words, if people keep buying them, sure.  But if people stop buying them, then theaters might reassess once the pandemic is fully in the rear view mirror.

Thanks for the info :)

And with studios wanting to look at the stream/opening day combo, theatres I can see definitely going to want to see if they can use that PWP as a way of recouping some of those costs, and if its profitable all the better. 

Be interesting to see if people keep up the PWP or not when it all settles down. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

They didn't exist pre-Covid.  Before groups just bought tickets to regular showings or had to buy out every seat if they wanted an entire showing.

PvPs were created by theater chains (I think Cinemark was 1st, and others copied) to get folks back in during Covid watching any product.  They started with old movies and then grew to include new releases as they happened (at a higher price point).

Thanks! :)

As I mentioned to Porthos, be interesting to see if PWP actually becomes a thing people keep doing post pandemic and keep it going (no doubt the theatres will definitely try to push it)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eric Bombay said:

Mortal Kombat Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-13 and Counting (Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 39 284 2754 10.31%

Total Seats Sold Today: 104

Comp

0.281x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-13 Before Release (2.70M)

Really strong stuff so far. GvK didn't really get a huge ticket boost until a few days before release, so it should keep going on up from here in the short-term

Mortal Kombat Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-12 and Counting (Fri)

TOTALS 0 39 319 2754 11.58%

Total Seats Sold Today: 35

Comp

0.294x of Mortal Kombat T-12 Before Release (2.83M)

Well it is an increase from yesterday's comp, but it still seems kind of minimal. But hey, it's still early, and this does seem about right for the cool-down phase.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Tinalera said:

Thanks for the info :)

And with studios wanting to look at the stream/opening day combo, theatres I can see definitely going to want to see if they can use that PWP as a way of recouping some of those costs, and if its profitable all the better. 

Be interesting to see if people keep up the PWP or not when it all settles down. 

I guess PWP make commercial sense as long as 25-50% capacity rule is in place. Once they are allowed to go 100%, PWP will no longer as profitable as before unless this really change the way people see movies in the future.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Borobudur said:

I guess PWP make commercial sense as long as 25-50% capacity rule is in place. Once they are allowed to go 100%, PWP will no longer as profitable as before unless this really change the way people see movies in the future.

See, that's what I'm not too sure about.

How many auditoriums on a rando weekday go with more than a handful of people? If the over/under of leaving money on the table for a $150 PWP is approximately 16 tickets (with adjustments for matinee, senior, children, and so on), then maybe for the screens that aren't seeing much traffic it makes sense to set one or two aside if the demand is there for Private Watch Parties.

But then comes the opening weekend of big movies (not even thinking about mega blockbusters).  Losing any screen in that scenario might be unprofitable.  But what if a chain decides that it's an acceptable loss-leader to have an occasional screen "lose" seats if it builds up longer term loyalty in buying Private Watch Parties.  That is, not maximizing revenue on x given day in case it leads to group Y buying more PWPs down the road.

On the other hand, if folks who are buying PWPs aren't also then spending a lot of money on concessions, then it might start becoming unprofitable at a lower point.  That is, even if the total ticket revenue from a PWP screening might be more than if they left that screen open to the public, the amount of concessions sold might be less if there aren't that many people in a given PWP.  And as we all know, theaters make a lot of their money at the concession line.

But on yet another hand, is the total revenue from a PWP more than, say, some random movie in its six or seventh week of release?  Might end up that holdovers get sacrificed more for a PWP slot.

Yet on even one more hand, if folks don't like having PWPs on smaller screens at a theater, maybe they stop buying them which means a theater has to set aside at least a decent sized screen, which would presumably up the ante on leaving money on the table, especially on weekends.

What I'm getting at is that there are lots of moving parts here and the notion of "unprofitability" might not be as easy to suss out as it might seem at first blush.  Including people getting used to the idea of PWPs and then getting cranky at a theater chain when they start to take them away/cut them back/put them on the worst screens at a theater.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

PWP are have high $$/person, but poor person/auditorium. You’re happy selling them except for when you’re capacity constrained — which, once 100% capacity returns, will probably only be a big thing on 150M+ weekends, which are pretty rare.   

So, theaters will be happy to keep offering PWPs in perpetuity. The question is whether consumers keep using them, and I think the answer will be “yes — some.” There are at least some people who consider it a premium experience are comfortable paying for that.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

AMC Westminster 24

Total 49 2768 1.77%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 44 2100 2.10%

259 60 13655 1.90%   9  68

$150 PWPs: 13        
Total 29        

Unfortunately no GvK comp for the next few days.

AMC Westminster 24

Total 63 2768 2.28%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 55 2100 2.62%

324 65 13655 2.37%  9  68

$150 PWPs: 14        
$300 PWPs: 10        
Total 31        
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Mortal Kombat and Demon Slayer on the same weekend - should I mention my 2 locals already have multiple sellouts of Demon Slayer (1 on Fri each, and my local #1 has 2 on Saturday already)?  It's gonna be a contest of which movie gets the extra screens as they set layouts.  In good news, they probably won't need to keep many things by April 23:)...

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Eric Bombay said:

Mortal Kombat Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-12 and Counting (Fri)

TOTALS 0 39 319 2754 11.58%

Total Seats Sold Today: 35

Comp

0.294x of Mortal Kombat T-12 Before Release (2.83M)

Well it is an increase from yesterday's comp, but it still seems kind of minimal. But hey, it's still early, and this does seem about right for the cool-down phase.

Mortal Kombat Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-11 and Counting (Fri)

TOTALS 1 41 452 2866 15.77%

Total Showings Added Today: 2

Total Seats Added Today: 112

Total Sellouts Added Today: 1

Total Seats Sold Today: 133

Comp

0.408x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-11 Before Release (3.91M)

Well...so much for a cooldown phase. Even taking out the sellout, that's still a very solid bounce of 90 tickets right there. Things are looking up fam!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Mortal Kombat and Demon Slayer on the same weekend - should I mention my 2 locals already have multiple sellouts of Demon Slayer (1 on Fri each, and my local #1 has 2 on Saturday already)?  It's gonna be a contest of which movie gets the extra screens as they set layouts.  In good news, they probably won't need to keep many things by April 23:)...

I think DS deserve a proper tracking!

4 hours ago, Eric Bombay said:

Mortal Kombat Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-11 and Counting (Fri)

TOTALS 1 41 452 2866 15.77%

Total Showings Added Today: 2

Total Seats Added Today: 112

Total Sellouts Added Today: 1

Total Seats Sold Today: 133

Comp

0.408x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-11 Before Release (3.91M)

Well...so much for a cooldown phase. Even taking out the sellout, that's still a very solid bounce of 90 tickets right there. Things are looking up fam!

very good for mortal kombat

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2021 at 1:44 AM, Porthos said:

Looks like some just got bumped up a week:

Not many, mind.  But some.

(I checked the Wayback Machine and saw what you saw that none were scheduled for this weekend or next, but looks like Regal is accelerating plans slightly)

They have 170+++ cinemas reopened on May 7, that is like one-third of their cinema, which to me seem unjustified since no blockbuster on that week, not even a WB film where they have landed a deal. What film they reopen for? Unless it is for regulatory requirement, I hope they move up the plan or at least partially to Apr 23, at least Mortal Kombat or DS are there to draw crowd.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:55 PM, Inceptionzq said:

AMC Westminster 24

Total 63 2768 2.28%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 55 2100 2.62%

324 65 13655 2.37%  9  68

$150 PWPs: 14        
$300 PWPs: 10