grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

45 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am waiting for @Menor report on MK but checking the sellout in NY, LA. NJ and Sacramento, it is way behind DS. 

i am getting MK number shortly. I am curious how its doing as just showcount wise its double that of DS for friday. But DS sales are very strong for both thursday and friday. 

On DS I am check all the theatres. If there are shows I pick it up. My number is for reserved seated shows only but for DS that is almost everything. There are barely shows in small towns where there are no reserved seating. Its release is not as wide as big movies. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

On DS I am check all the theatres. If there are shows I pick it up. My number is for reserved seated shows only but for DS that is almost everything. There are barely shows in small towns where there are no reserved seating. Its release is not as wide as big movies. 

Yeah that was what I was interested to see. With 2 MTCs having around 500-550 locs release, I suppose overall would be around 1K only. 

Mortal Kombat (T-7)

MTC1 - 28730/469864 415671.00 2291 shows(417 theatres) //  54 sellouts

MTC2 - 28577/412631 350666.93 2647 shows(294 theatres) // 38 sellouts

Demon Slayer Day 2

MTC1 - 42915/258523 553926.00 1673 shows (355 theatres) +5183 //244 sellouts

MTC2 - 32661/168810 445365.02 1282 shows(265 theatres) +4630 // 133 sellouts

There is absolutely no competition. DS D2 is easily beating MK OD with less shows. I am not seeing 20m OW for MK for now. Let us see how things go. DS had bunch of new shows added in MTC1 just now and so will take a day or 2 to fill them up. I think there is so much more potential to add more shows. But as @Menor said it could be frontloaded though daily sales are still quite good(slightly better than daily sales for GVK at similar point). 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Eric Bombay said:

Mortal Kombat Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-8 and Counting (Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 5 41 809 2866 28.23%

Total Sellouts Added Today: 1

Total Seats Sold Today: 99

Comp

0.603x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-8 Before Release (5.79M)

Missed posting this yesterday, putting this up for comparison's sake

Mortal Kombat Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-7 and Counting (Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 8 41 990 2866 34.54%

Total Sellouts Added Today: 3

Total Seats Sold Today: 181

Comp

0.700x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-7 Before Release (6.72M)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

In Korea, after "kind of" low first week and not so great trending, the legs entered ant-gravity mode for weeks as show was released on Netflix, and more and more folks kept checking the next part in theater. I wonder how and if Netflix plans to "market" the show in USA and if it can work with general audience.

23 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

In Korea, after "kind of" low first week and not so great trending, the legs entered ant-gravity mode for weeks as show was released on Netflix, and more and more folks kept checking the next part in theater. I wonder how and if Netflix plans to "market" the show in USA and if it can work with general audience.

Yeah. The legs for DS movie in Korea is really something. It denied the gravity for more than a month in its later run. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Porthos said:

xposting this info for Trackers.

And, for the non-trackers who might want a few yuks as well. 

20 people at 250 bucks... works out to...what 12 bucks a person? And thats us funds. 

Up here 12 bucks  is about an average price (Canadian dollars), but 12 bucks US works out to I think 15.00 a person (which is pretty norm for Imax stuff) which would make our watch party 312.00 for 20 people.

Esp during this time when lots of people have lost jobs/hours/have trouble paying rent, you'd think Regal might tad that back a bit for some good PR. 

Just find it fascinating the diff between classics and new films is over double in price. Wow

Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

20 people at 250 bucks... works out to...what 12 bucks a person? And thats us funds. 

Up here 12 bucks  is about an average price (Canadian dollars), but 12 bucks US works out to I think 15.00 a person (which is pretty norm for Imax stuff) which would make our watch party 312.00 for 20 people.

Esp during this time when lots of people have lost jobs/hours/have trouble paying rent, you'd think Regal might tad that back a bit for some good PR. 

Just find it fascinating the diff between classics and new films is over double in price. Wow

It's hilarious.  I don't think there is any savings at all locally.  If so, maybe a couple of bucks.  Compare it to the Cinemark plan of $99/$149 and it's $101 difference.  

I know that AMC has higher tiered PWPs, but I don't know the exact details on how it differs since we don't have any AMCs in our neck of the woods.  A quick glance tells me that "type of theater" (presumably Dolby or other PLFs) and being allowed to bring in your own food are factors for higher tiers, but a quick check of the FAQ tells me the $250 Regal is exactly the same as the $149 Cinemark, as it is 20 people max and not allowing outside food/drink.

Near as I can figure folks are paying for the privilege of not being with the great unwashed folks who may or may not be vaccinated.  Which isn't nothing by a long shot.  But in a Cinemark/Regal mixed market?  Well unless one really loves a particular theater (or all the local Cinemarks are booked) it seems like a pretty simple decision.

Demon Slayer(T-5)

MTC1 - 46438/302394 691458.00 1717 shows(302 theatres) +5088 // 156 sellouts and 296 shows have not sold any tickets

MTC2 - 51162/272662 713060.93 2025 shows(271 theatres) +4857 // 186 sellouts and 148 shows have not sold any tickets

Solid increase though its lower than yesterday. May be its a sign of frontloading? Amazing thing is in $ value its still slightly above GVK. I am not updating my prediction as there is not enough data to update. I will update MK and DS D2 tomorrow.

On 3/26/2021 at 3:27 PM, keysersoze123 said:

Godzilla vs Kong(T-5)

MTC1 - 55027/448935 769243.00 2394 shows (322 theatres) +5807 //275 shows have not sold any tickets and 247 sellouts 

MTC2 - 53425/436193 603491.91 2914 shows(264 theatres) +5178 // 461 shows have not sold any tickets and 210 sellouts  

PWP MTC1 has 747 shows sold out and MTC2  1393 shows sold out for the day. 

23 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Demon Slayer (T-6)

MTC1 - 41350/259225 616981.00 1425 shows(284 theatres) +5594 // 134 sellouts and 257 shows have not sold any tickets 

MTC2 - 46305/263214 644927.67 1935 shows(271 theatres) +5686 // 170 sellouts and 185 shows have not sold any tickets

Sold few more tickets compared to GVK at the same point. Need more shows to be added for sure. I think that will happen in final few days. Also interesting thing is average ticket price is higher for DS looking at both MTC and few others have commented about increased ticket price for this movie. So overall BO is higher at 2 MTC with fewer ticket sales. 

I checked AMC Empire and did not see an option for DS PWP and so may be PWP will not be a factor. So its better to compare BO without PWP(we have to extrapolate based on numbers seen). I think 7-8m OD is possible. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Demon Slayer(T-5)

MTC1 - 46438/302394 691458.00 1717 shows(302 theatres) +5088 // 156 sellouts and 296 shows have not sold any tickets

MTC2 - 51162/272662 713060.93 2025 shows(271 theatres) +4857 // 186 sellouts and 148 shows have not sold any tickets

Solid increase though its lower than yesterday. May be its a sign of frontloading? Amazing thing is in $ value its still slightly above GVK. I am not updating my prediction as there is not enough data to update. I will update MK and DS D2 tomorrow.

Does $7-8M for OD still look good? 

15 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

Does $7-8M for OD still look good? 

That was my projection yesterday but @Menor did say it will be frontloaded and so we have to wait and see. It still has high occupancy and its ticket prices seem to be higher. But final week burst of GVK was very big. This movie needs to triple from this point to hit that numbers. I wont say impossible but we have to wait and watch. I will update after Monday data. Let us see how things are relative to GVK on that day to make a projection. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

It's hilarious.  I don't think there is any savings at all locally.  If so, maybe a couple of bucks.  Compare it to the Cinemark plan of $99/$149 and it's $101 difference.  

I know that AMC has higher tiered PWPs, but I don't know the exact details on how it differs since we don't have any AMCs in our neck of the woods.  A quick glance tells me that "type of theater" (presumably Dolby or other PLFs) and being allowed to bring in your own food are factors for higher tiers, but a quick check of the FAQ tells me the $250 Regal is exactly the same as the $149 Cinemark, as it is 20 people max and not allowing outside food/drink.

Near as I can figure folks are paying for the privilege of not being with the great unwashed folks who may or may not be vaccinated.  Which isn't nothing by a long shot.  But in a Cinemark/Regal mixed market?  Well unless one really loves a particular theater (or all the local Cinemarks are booked) it seems like a pretty simple decision.

I didn't know about cinemark....like 100 buck difference. That's definitely more of a deal. Up here Cineplex/Famous Players ect are pretty much all under one umbrella, save for some independents, but we don't have that competing theatre chains anymore, which is a loss for us competition is good.  Not surprised about the "no outside food". Alot of those workers in the theatres pretty much rely on the concessions to pay their paycheck.

And I totally get that comment about being with...."other" unknown people as it were. Suggests to me either Regal doesn't care and/or they can't maybe afford it (I know the theatres have taken a hit, but which of regal or cinemark is closer to the brink I wonder economics wise)

Still 100 buck difference....wow!:what:

I do wonder if our theatres up here will look at the PWP model when (whenever that is) they open up again.

Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 1