grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

15 hours ago, CJohn said:

As expected. At worse, it will be 6th this weekend and it might somehow repeat at 5th again. No way that many theaters were gonna drop it as some people were talking about in the weekend thread.

Yes, but how many showings is it getting at the theaters that kept it?  That matters, too...

At my 3 tracked theaters, here are the showings per day planned for the weekend...

1st local - 3

2nd local - 1 (yes, you read that right)

mall - 4 (last showing at 5:10pm)

So, it's down to 2/3 screen or much less at all 3 of these theaters included in the 3000...so, it's not just the theaters drop, but the showings drop, too...

Edited by TwoMisfits

So, why theaters decide to presale obviously crashing-and-burning animation, I'll never know...

I just decided to check Leap's presales for tonight at my 2 locals...we are out of school, so in prime "animation" territory still...

Of 500ish seats over 6 showings tonight, the movie has sold TWO tickets...this is even lower than Nut Job 2 and Logan Lucky at this point, so start planning on another low single digit opener this weekend...

Speaking of these theaters, they have decided to throw new stuff against a wall and hope something sticks this weekend...they each have 4+ openers/limiteds taking screens and have dropped a lot of holdovers, although (making me happy) Spidey was not one of the drops:)...

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, why theaters decide to presale obviously crashing-and-burning animation, I'll never know...

I just decided to check Leap's presales for tonight at my 2 locals...we are out of school, so in prime "animation" territory still...

Of 500ish seats over 6 showings tonight, the movie has sold TWO tickets...this is even lower than Nut Job 2 and Logan Lucky at this point, so start planning on another low single digit opener this weekend...

Harvey Weinstein, his power, his influence.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Harvey Weinstein, his power, his influence.

Harvey shouldn't be allowed to acquire animated films! It would have done okay had it been released as Ballerina 

Edited by Jonwo

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Harvey shouldn't be allowed to acquire animated films! It would have done okay had it been released as Ballerina 

The overseas version has BOT favorite Dane DeHaan as the voice of the main guy and this country has Nat Wolff as the voice. Geez, Dane's big year is making Taylor Kitsch's 2012 look amazing in comparison.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

8 Pacific/11 Eastern. People will be at parties/bars/wherever, so the box office is going to be impacted like in May 2015.

Theaters too.  Every showing I glance at is completely packed at $40-$43 per seat!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tonight at my theater:

5:00 Leap: 0/63

7:00 All Saints: 0/78

7:00 Dragon: 4/78

7:00 Leap: 0/67

7:00 Terminator: 0/69

9:20 Terminator: 0/78

9:30 Dragon: 0/78

9:40 All Saints: 0/78

10:00 Leap: 0/69

There is a 10 PM showing of Leap?! That is massively stupid.

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tonight at my theater:

5:00 Leap: 0/63

7:00 All Saints: 0/78

7:00 Dragon: 4/78

7:00 Leap: 0/67

7:00 Terminator: 0/69

9:20 Terminator: 0/78

9:30 Dragon: 0/78

9:40 All Saints: 0/78

10:00 Leap: 0/69

Dragon is slaying

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Maybe... not show it at all? It will sell zero tickets anyway so it won't matter :lol:

Would be a better idea tbh, although I doubt the contract would allow it.

From the theatre's perspective, it saves more money to not show a movie than have to play it for one person

• Like 1

Good news for Hitman's Bodyguard at my local AMC. I had a little bit of time on my hands this afternoon, so I was hoping to catch an afternoon show. The 2:45 showing of Hitman's Bodyguard was sold out. I couldn't stay for the 4PM,  but there was also a sold out evening show from what I could see on the kiosk. 

• Like 1