grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Pokémon 1998 31M 3-day, 32.8M best 3 of 5 days.  

Then the sequel (Pokemon 2000) did 19.57 off a Fri opening. 

Pretty insane stuff adjusted.

Shiit. comScore only has database from 2001 onwards, not realising that, thought perhaps those were Hollywood films and not foreign ones.

13 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Release is not like a niche film at all. If you consider thursday as previews then the show numbers are at big movies level. Even Saturday show numbers look very impressive. As I said looking at PS there is no way MK is going to outgross DS on saturday. In fact looking at friday show count and ticket price difference I am expecting DS to win friday as well. We will know with increased PS tomorrow as there is way more capacity for DS to sell. 

I have never seen a non hollywood movie open so big. How big were Hero or Broly releases?

Yeah release is wider than usual, which is around 1250 locs but then there's not much playing, so that is helping the release size. The release is wide but target audience is still the same which watch animes. Since its serialised film, with one need to watch the tv series before watching it, the scope of general audience going in blind reduces even further.

Tracking DS for last 6 months or so, I will be very happy if it say does $25-30M as PS of this level will normally suggest, but knowing the fanloaded nature of genre, I am being on realistic side. In fact, having said it loud $18-20M weekend, am worried if it misses that 😶

hopefully it won't come to that.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

2 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

Is DS movie and KM movie kind of movie which is not affected by the review score/points from the critics? 

I believe sort of legs DS has shown in the main Asian markets, don't think reviews matter at this point. In fact its funny how I or anyone for that matter even once bothered about WOM in last 6 months 😛

@WandaLegion

40 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I believe sort of legs DS has shown in the main Asian markets, don't think reviews matter at this point. In fact its funny how I or anyone for that matter even once bothered about WOM in last 6 months 😛

@WandaLegion

All the southest asian markets have at least 2x legs I think.

What about KM ?

Edited by PKMLover

1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

Can I just say, amazing to have a weekend battle again.   

Loking forward to the 2nd weekend battle as well 👀

If only NYC can lift their capacity limit to 33% 3 days earlier....and Regal can at least move up partially part of their reopening plan (170+ cinemas  to be reopened in May 7) to Apr 23, then we won't worry too much on the upper limit of both openers  

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah release is wider than usual, which is around 1250 locs but then there's not much playing, so that is helping the release size. The release is wide but target audience is still the same which watch animes. Since its serialised film, with one need to watch the tv series before watching it, the scope of general audience going in blind reduces even further.

Tracking DS for last 6 months or so, I will be very happy if it say does $25-30M as PS of this level will normally suggest, but knowing the fanloaded nature of genre, I am being on realistic side. In fact, having said it loud $18-20M weekend, am worried if it misses that 😶

hopefully it won't come to that.

What if I say that people doesn't really need to watch the first season before going to see this movie? 😛

The movie is the direct continous of the first season, yes, but this arc is very separated from the first season. The events don't link to the first season too. 

Basically, people just need to read the summary of the characters to learn their face, name and role, and read the brief description of the content of this movie, and already can go to see it. 

I mean, there are already people who went to the cinema to see it and cried, then went home and started to search and watch season 1. 😂

Edited by PKMLover
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, PKMLover said:

What if I say that people doesn't really need to watch the first season before going to see this movie? 😛

Ohh. That's nice. I had seen Corpse telling someone that they need to watch TV series, so thought its direct continuation.

I will probably start TV series in June just in time before digital release.

27 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ohh. That's nice. I had seen Corpse telling someone that they need to watch TV series, so thought its direct continuation.

I will probably start TV series in June just in time before digital release.

It is a direct continuation after season 1 but the events in this movie don't link to the events in season 1 at all. It is not the consequence of what happened in season 1. It happens at different location.

Only need to know the character face, name, and role and some brief background.

Edited by PKMLover

14 hours ago, PKMLover said:

Is DS movie and KM movie kind of movie which is not affected by the review score/points from the critics? 

DS is still at 100% with 10 reviews. MK sits now at 65% with 17 reviews. That's anecdotal but if MK would have gotten 10% or something it would indeed have affected my plan to see it, at least without good reviews from moviegoers. But with these mediocre reviews (even if it ends rotten) I'm absolutely fine. But maybe that's just me.
And I'm seriously wondering if I should change my mind and go "in" (club of Porthos). But I will be happy for both movies if they can reach the projected numbers.                                               

Edited by el sid

5 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

In fact, poking around on wayback, seems Pokémon scored a top 40 OW. Today same OW rank is It with 123M 👀

You kids have no idea how insane Pokemania was in the late 90s. Literally every kid was watching the anime or playing the trading card game or whatever. It was like the MCU or whatever on steroids mah boi

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Eric Bombay said:

You kids have no idea how insane Pokemania was in the late 90s. Literally every kid was watching the anime or playing the trading card game or whatever. It was like the MCU or whatever on steroids mah boi

Somehow I experience this phenomenon although I was only 5, 6 years old

2 hours ago, Eric Bombay said:

Not just the late 90s. I remember Pokemon trading cards being a craze at my school as late as 2007. 

• Like 1

Well Pokemon is worldwide phenomenon. Detective Pikachu billion dollar wasn't entirely a joke. Just that post trailer the film just lost it.

Me personally was never into it. But Pokemon, Doraemon and Shinchan are quite big here.

18 minutes ago, Menor said:

Not just the late 90s. I remember Pokemon trading cards being a craze at my school as late as 2007. 

Pokemon was pretty big into the early 2010s at my school (for like a year or two). I remember having a shitton of trading cards.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Pokemon was pretty big into the early 2010s at my school (for like a year or two). I remember having a shitton of trading cards.

I would have said that may be have grown so might not know if still is big and its not like Pokemon Go wasn't a huge success.

But... my niece and nephews, all like shin chan and doraemon, watch those on TV. Pokemon I don't think they know about. so that is that.

Guys, I know Pokémon is still popular 😂

I just like to act like an old timer despite being the the ripe age of 23. You all know I like being an ass. Still, I do believe it was at its all-time peak in the late 90s, which obviously doesn’t mean people aren’t still into them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

In fact, poking around on wayback, seems Pokémon scored a top 40 OW. Today same OW rank is It with 123M 👀

I guess the Detective Pikachu hard ups had some reason to believe it might blow up then lol

Ahh the good ol’ days.