grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

What a pathetic existence you must have that you need to tweet out presales to films to other theaters VPs just to try and look cool or make it look like your favorite film is doing great or a film that you hate isn't going to do great. 

Just a heads up to new members here...the information we receive from the insiders within the industry is not a right...we are not entitled to any of that information. They're kind enough to share what they can with us with the expectation that we don't go around acting like we are the insiders or that we have "special" information that is directly given us.

Stop acting like Marvel vs DC is the end all be all because I know for a fact that whoever was out there tweeting that stuff was a fanboy of either Marvel or DC and was trying to show that either WW was gonna fail or it was gonna explode and used the presales given to us to make a "point." 

Now the rest of us who actually use the presales for non-franchise films to track the box office get the short end of the stick. Thanks a lot. 

• Like 20

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Some people were taking the presale data to other forums and tweeting to theater CEOs and "the user" didn't want to get in trouble.

It's incredibly bizarre that someone would troll with something as mundane as box office #s. Sad, but nuking the thread was necessary.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, franfar said:

It's incredibly bizarre that someone would troll with something as mundane as box office #s. Sad, but nuking the thread was necessary.

I don't have any idea whether the motivation was trolling or not. Could've easily been they just wanted more clarification and/or information without realizing what they were asking for.

• Like 1

I'm legitimately bummed out that we don't have the old thread anymore. Be prepared for lots of PMs about info in it, mods. :lol:

Anyway, looking around Seattle, presales for Alien on Thursday aren't yet great outside of the Dolby Cinema screens and the new 4DX screen. Which, as someone who went to a 4DX screening of Fate of the Furious, it's crazy to me that anyone would give that experience good word of mouth or go back again.

3 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I'm legitimately bummed out that we don't have the old thread anymore. Be prepared for lots of PMs about info in it, mods. :lol:

Anyway, looking around Seattle, presales for Alien on Thursday aren't yet great outside of the Dolby Cinema screens and the new 4DX screen. Which, as someone who went to a 4DX screening of Fate of the Furious, it's crazy to me that anyone would give that experience good word of mouth or go back again.

Chances are it's just the newness of it. When I went to Regal Pointe Orlando the other day for GOTG in IMAX, the 4DX screen sold about 20 more seats; this location opened back in March. I'm curious to see how the crowds will be later this summer and if IMAX regains some ground there.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'm looking at that pulse link and it looks like the Alien tickets are for today.  Could that be right?  I thought it didn't open until Thursday.

Fandango always says that for presales.

• Like 1

I don't mean to make this a double blow today, but unfortunately am also choosing to bow out going forward.  Found that things intended for this forum only were getting spread to other sites with posters very upset about random comments I had made concerning certain films and the bother isn't worth it.  

I will keep in contact with Tele and a few others, but will general comment only going forward.  

These boards are a valuable source of entertainment and information that is mostly used for fun and discussion.  The reality is that in this day of the internet far too many take something as innocuous as a comic book movie at way too high of a serious level.  

The vast, vast majority of you are great people but a few have bled in recently that don't seem to know where the line is between entertainment and reality.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 39

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't mean to make this a double blow today, but unfortunately am also choosing to bow out going forward.  Found that things intended for this forum only were getting spread to other sites with posters very upset about random comments I had made concerning certain films and the bother isn't worth it.  

I will keep in contact with Tele and a few others, but will general comment only going forward.  

These boards are a valuable source of entertainment and information that is mostly used for fun and discussion.  The reality is that in this day of the internet far too many take something as innocuous as a comic book movie at way too high of a serious level.  

The vast, vast majority of you are great people but a few have bled in recently that don't seem to know where the line is between entertainment and reality.  

This sucks so much because I genuinely looked forward to your updates and discussions you provide but completely understand where you are coming from. I do hope that at some point in time you can comeback and post more often. Thank you for everything. 

It really is a shame that some folks treat CBM as a life or death situation. This has been a long time coming. Not surprised though that WW is what made the tides turn completely over board. 

• Like 18

41 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Where is the 4DX screen?

(I see that the Cinerama isn't getting Alien. Actually their summer schedule for GotG2, Wonder Woman, Baby Driver, and Dunkirk seems pretty spread out. I wonder if they'll slot in a few others closer to release dates.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Stinks for us, but I totally get it and would do the same thing.

I am sure I speak for a lot of us in saying thank you for all the insight, numbers and more you provided here.  It is all truly appreciated :) 

• Like 13

Sigh, it means I can go to sleep earlier on Fridays and Saturdays:(...

Anyway, back to buzz and tracking...I am seeing as many seats sold at my locals for Friday night Alien as Thursday night Alien...and after the last few weeks of lower Thursdays and higher weekend multipliers off the Thursdays than expected, in this newer age of reserved seating, will Thursdays start to mean less and less again for most movies (when midnights weren't really much of the BO)?