grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Alright, I'm fucking PISSED my AMC didn't get Wind River. This is total BS.

> NEW RELEASES
6 - Leap! Weinstein Company 2,575 - - 1
12 - Birth of the Dragon BH Tilt 1,617 - - 1
16 - All Saints Sony / Columbia 800 - - 1
27 - A Gentleman FIP 135 - - 1
42 - Served Like a Girl Entertainment Studios 9 - - 1
46 - Beach Rats Neon 3 - - 1
> EXPANDING
1 2 Annabelle: Creation Warner Bros. (New Line) 3,565 +23 +0.6% 3
7 16 Wonder Woman Warner Bros. 2,210 +1,407 +175.2% 13
8 13 Despicable Me 3 Universal 2,108 +557 +35.9% 9
9 17 Wind River Weinstein Company 2,095 +1,401 +201.9% 4
17 53 Good Time A24 721 +701 +3,505.0% 3
18 19 The Big Sick Lionsgate 706 +88 +14.2% 10
19 50 Ingrid Goes West Neon 647 +621 +2,388.5% 3
22 30 47 Meters Down Entertainment Studios 307 +161 +110.3% 11
23 27 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Buena Vista 299 +104 +53.3% 17
24 37 The Only Living Boy in New York Roadside Attractions 289 +223 +337.9% 3
30 35 Menashe A24 103 +17 +19.8% 5
34 59 Patti Cake$ Fox Searchlight 59 +45 +321.4% 2
35 54 The Trip to Spain IFC 56 +37 +194.7% 3
40 62 City of Ghosts IFC 13 +1 +8.3% 8
41 78 Crown Heights IFC 10 +7 +233.3% 2
43 68 From the Land of the Moon IFC 8 +1 +14.3% 5
44 82 It Comes At Night A24 7 +4 +133.3% 12
45 88 The Exception A24 4 +2 +100.0% 13
47 104 Il Boom (2017 re-release) Rialto 2 +1 +100.0% 10
> NO CHANGE
2 3 The Hitman's Bodyguard Lionsgate/Summit 3,377 - - 2
4 6 Logan Lucky Bleecker Street 3,031 - - 2
> DECLINING
3 1 The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature Open Road Films 3,090 -913 -22.8% 3
5 4 Dunkirk Warner Bros. 2,774 -497 -15.2% 6
10 10 Girls Trip Universal 1,768 -242 -12.0% 6
11 8 Kidnap (2017) Aviron 1,693 -652 -27.8% 4
13 14 The Glass Castle Lionsgate 1,298 -163 -11.2% 3
14 12 War for the Planet of the Apes Fox 1,114 -494 -30.7% 7
15 11 Atomic Blonde Focus Features 981 -647 -39.7% 5
20 15 Detroit Annapurna Pictures 525 -903 -63.2% 5
21 21 Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets STX Entertainment 318 -147 -31.6% 6
25 25 Cars 3 Buena Vista 214 -33 -13.4% 11
26 28 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales Buena Vista 165 -19 -10.3% 14
28 20 An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power Paramount 127 -387 -75.3% 5
29 23 Step (2017) Fox Searchlight 118 -188 -61.4% 4
31 32 Maudie Sony Classics 96 -28 -22.6% 20
32 31 The House Warner Bros. (New Line) 95 -43 -31.2% 9
33 22 Brigsby Bear Sony Classics 94 -314 -77.0% 5
36 39 Megan Leavey Bleecker Street 52 -7 -11.9% 12
37 34 Lady Macbeth Roadside Attractions 41 -45 -52.3% 7
38 44 A Ghost Story A24 21 -18 -46.2% 8
39 51 Beatriz At Dinner Roadside Attractions 18 -7 -28.0% 12
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh God, my AMC put Friday showtimes up for It, and it's in an average auditorium during the day and the biggest at night. If they're seriously not putting it on multiple screens...... :rofl: 

Exactly the same they did with Annabelle, which wasn't all that smart to begin with, and we are talking about a movie which should have the two biggest screens for itself...

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

This Wind River expansion has to be super last minute; there's still a few big theaters around Orlando like Universal that aren't getting it.

Box Office mentioned it on their weekend preview.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Exactly the same they did with Annabelle, which wasn't all that smart to begin with, and we are talking about a movie which should have the two biggest screens for itself...

Annabelle was the second biggest, mind you :lol: I'm going to be amazed if it doesn't get 3+ screens with how shitty some of the holdovers will be. 

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Box Office mentioned it on their weekend preview.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I can't remember the last time my AMC didn't get something that was in 2k+ theaters. It has to be coming next weekend, right? RIGHT? :sadben: 

All Saints in their second biggest auditorium will be fun to watch, at least :lol: 

http://www.thewrap.com/box-office-predictions-balloon-record-bursting-60-million-opening/

Last week, the first round of tracking had the remake of Stephen King’s seminal horror tale making $50 million in its opening weekend. Now, those numbers have floated up to $60 million, a figure that would give “It” the biggest theatrical debut in horror movie history as well as the biggest opening for any film released in September.

The record currently belongs to “Hannibal,” which made $58 million in its opening weekend in 2001. Second on the list is “Paranormal Activity 3,” which made a $52.5 million opening  in 2011. The September record belongs to “Hotel Transylvania 2” with $48.4 million in 2015.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Annabelle was the second biggest, mind you :lol: I'm going to be amazed if it doesn't get 3+ screens with how shitty some of the holdovers will be. 

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I can't remember the last time my AMC didn't get something that was in 2k+ theaters. It has to be coming next weekend, right? RIGHT? :sadben: 

All Saints in their second biggest auditorium will be fun to watch, at least :lol: 

The idea is still pretty much the same, and you know it was dumb to not plug Annabelle on their biggest screen and be done with it. It deserves 3 screens, I fully agree.

I guess it depends on how the expansion goes? If it goes well enough, they will probably expand it more over LD weekend, if not you will have to go see Alicia Vikander Naked: The Movie instead :sparta:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The idea is still pretty much the same, and you know it was dumb to not plug Annabelle on their biggest screen and be done with it. It deserves 3 screens, I fully agree.

I guess it depends on how the expansion goes? If it goes well enough, they will probably expand it more over LD weekend, if not you will have to go see Alicia Vikander Naked: The Movie instead :sparta:

That movie is only gonna be in like 600-700 theaters (BOM says it's a moderate release), so that probably wouldn't happen :sadben::lol: 

Yeah, Annabelle easily deserved to have the largest all day on OW. Most of the showings that weekend reached the point where you had to be desperate for shit seats if you wanted to see it. I can't imagine what they're going to do with something like mother!, American Made, or (god forbid) Kingsman.

Edited by WrathOfHan

I actually can't believe my theatre brought in WIND RIVER starting tomorrow. Psyched to go see it tomorrow, because usually my theatre doesn't keep movies like this - that expand after limited initial releases - for very long at all. They brought in THE BIG SICK for like a week so I'm wasting no time.

Edited by JB33

@CJohn I remember back in March for Kong's OW they had 2D split between the second biggest and an average auditorium with The Shack and 3D in an average alltogether. Once it sold out literally every show on Friday, they scrambled and cancelled Logan's early showings in the largest auditorium to replace them with Kong. They couldn't even cancel The Shack because of church groups :rofl: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That movie is only gonna be in like 600-700 theaters (BOM says it's a moderate release), so that probably wouldn't happen :sadben::lol: 

Yeah, Annabelle easily deserved to have the largest all day on OW. Most of the showings that weekend reached the point where you had to be desperate for shit seats if you wanted to see it. I can't imagine what they're going to do with something like mother!, American Made, or (god forbid) Kingsman.

The official estimate is actually 600 theaters so might guess is that Harvey will go all in on expanding Wind River again.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

@CJohn I remember back in March for Kong's OW they had 2D split between the second biggest and an average auditorium with The Shack and 3D in an average alltogether. Once it sold out literally every show on Friday, they scrambled and cancelled Logan's early showings in the largest auditorium to replace them with Kong. They couldn't even cancel The Shack because of church groups :rofl: 

Why not just put Kong on the biggest in 2D and an average in 3D? Why not move Logan to two average screens? Why not just put The Shack alone on their 2nd biggest screen? Or why not give The Shack two average theaters and put Logan in the 2nd biggest? They seem to be really fucking stupid :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

The official estimate is actually 600 theaters so might guess is that Harvey will go all in on expanding Wind River again.

Why not just put Kong on the biggest in 2D and an average in 3D? Why not move Logan to two average screens? Why not just put The Shack alone on their 2nd biggest screen? Or why not give The Shack two average theaters and put Logan in the 2nd biggest? They seem to be really fucking stupid :lol:

YEP. A lot of the time when they underestimate a movie, the following weekend they'll keep it in the second biggest to make up for the following weekend (it happened with Kong, Snatched, CU, POTC, and a few others I'm forgetting)

Logan had two screens that weekend: the biggest and an average one. Keeping it in one of the two biggest made sense because it was expected to perform close to Kong, but keeping The Shack in the 2nd biggest made no fucking sense.

All the theaters in this area don't know how to schedule and place movies for shit. The independent chain not far from me often puts movies at the wrong theater (IE Baby Driver got put at their smallest and oldest skewing theater) and pretty much refuses to schedule movies on more than one screen per location. Even for the big openers. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

YEP. A lot of the time when they underestimate a movie, the following weekend they'll keep it in the second biggest to make up for the following weekend (it happened with Kong, Snatched, CU, POTC, and a few others I'm forgetting)

Logan had two screens that weekend: the biggest and an average one. Keeping it in one of the two biggest made sense because it was expected to perform close to Kong, but keeping The Shack in the 2nd biggest made no fucking sense.

Damn church groups :rofl:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Damn church groups :rofl:

And they aren't showing up for All Saints :rofl: When a faith movie is selling poorly in MY area, you know it's going to bomb. Even that one faith movie that was in like 600-700 theaters back in December (Believe?) was selling better than All Saints. I totally won't be surprised if Sony lets theaters drop it next weekend like Brigsby Bear

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

And they aren't showing up for All Saints :rofl: When a faith movie is selling poorly in MY area, you know it's going to bomb. Even that one faith movie that was in like 600-700 theaters back in December (Believe?) was selling better than All Saints. I totally won't be surprised if Sony lets theaters drop it next weekend like Brigsby Bear

I was thinking maybe 2.5-3M for the weekend but it might go lower than that.

• Like 1