grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Roughly DS is looking at 2.45m and MK at 2.55m. 

Guys I am taking a break. I will come back when some big movie like next fast movie opens. 

Is AQP2 not big enough for you?

13 minutes ago, frog said:

MORTAL KOMBAT $6.23M Weekend (Est.) 3,114 Screens / $2,002 Avg. Weekend 2 / -73.2% Change $34.08M Total (North America)

Just so you know, there’s a weekend thread. The tracking thread isn’t really meant for posts like this. Not a big deal now since the box office is super slow, but just so you know :)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Just so you know, there’s a weekend thread. The tracking thread isn’t really meant for posts like this. Not a big deal now since the box office is super slow, but just so you know :)

Okay, I see

17 hours ago, datpepper said:

I'd be interested in how things are looking for Spiral and Wrath of Man. Hopefully the later can do better than other R-rated thrillers like Unhinged, The Little Things, Let Him Go, etc. (Nobody might also be a good comp, though I'm not sure yet if it'll hit that high).

Did a quick cursory glance around my theaters for both. Neither is doing exceptional, and I didn't count exact numbers or anything, but they seem to be doing okay. Wrath of Man looks pretty close to what Nobody did the Monday before premiere. Of course this is all very early and subject to change the closer we get to release.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Eric Bombay said:

Did a quick cursory glance around my theaters for both. Neither is doing exceptional, and I didn't count exact numbers or anything, but they seem to be doing okay. Wrath of Man looks pretty close to what Nobody did the Monday before premiere. Of course this is all very early and subject to change the closer we get to release.

Thanks for checking in on it, hopefully both can do some relatively solid numbers.

Edited by datpepper

How is Those Who Wish Me Dead looking? Tyler Sheridan isn’t a really popular filmmaker which is a shame seeing how great his stuff are, but Angelina Jolie has big star power. Although i can see that as the type of movie that’s huge on HBOMax and so so in theaters.

Just an anecdote that relates to MK and Im really curious how much the HBO stream is taking in. I have a friend who told me the we was with family the other day, watched Mortal Kombat awesome movie, ect. "I said wow, I didn't know london (Ontario Canada) theatres were open" , he said said "We paid 25 dollars and rented it from Microsoft Windows store watched it at home. Says he has some anxious stuff with theatres and he really liked this and may do it more often as it works better for him

Like boom, I was like "right in my own circle, theres 25 plus dollars the theatre won't see (and there was a group of like  5 of them). 

Just a personal anecdote from someone in my social circle, it really "brought home" how much this could affect the theatre takes for movies, and for the theatres who rely on the concessions to pay the bills.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wrath of Man Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 51 121 3995 3.03%

Comps

1.423x of Chaos Walking T-3 Before Release (1.89M)

1.613x of Nobody T-3 Before Release (4.05M)

Paging @datpepper

It's early days, and both movies had very different trajectories in the days ahead, but this is still a decent start IMO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Tinalera said:

Just an anecdote that relates to MK and Im really curious how much the HBO stream is taking in. I have a friend who told me the we was with family the other day, watched Mortal Kombat awesome movie, ect. "I said wow, I didn't know london (Ontario Canada) theatres were open" , he said said "We paid 25 dollars and rented it from Microsoft Windows store watched it at home. Says he has some anxious stuff with theatres and he really liked this and may do it more often as it works better for him

Like boom, I was like "right in my own circle, theres 25 plus dollars the theatre won't see (and there was a group of like  5 of them). 

Just a personal anecdote from someone in my social circle, it really "brought home" how much this could affect the theatre takes for movies, and for the theatres who rely on the concessions to pay the bills.

This is perhaps why box office is not picking up immediately after reopening because people need time to clarify which cinema is opened which one is not and that need time to build awareness and reignite people interest.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Borobudur said:

This is perhaps why box office is not picking up immediately after reopening because people need time to clarify which cinema is opened which one is not and that need time to build awareness and reignite people interest.

I agree, it will have to be a big PR push when theatres open up again here to say "Hey we are open again!" Getting that awareness out will be key. Will be interesting to see what (if any) type of promotion up  here they do to convince people to come back out, whether its groups or discounts or something else.

Updated the showtimes for Wrath today and found some cool stuff:

-Raya is now playing in both Cinemark and Regal screens this Friday. Don't know what this means for any legs, but it at least bodes well for Cruella and Black Widow later this summer.

-A Quiet Place 2 showtimes are popping up at some of the theaters I'm tracking but they are not available for purchase yet. Nothing on Cruella just yet, but I assume tickets for that shouldn't be far behind

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Eric Bombay said:

Raya is now playing in both Cinemark and Regal screens this Friday. Don't know what this means for any legs, but it at least bodes well for Cruella and Black Widow later this summer.

Seems like they reached an agreement while negotiating over Cruella, yeah. More money to lose out on.   

Raya’s already going to ~6x legs, but if it goes +10% instead of -15% or whatever this weekend that could be worth another M or two to get over the ole 6.0

• Like 2