grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Also, yes I am using a GvK OD comp for my AQP II Thr Preview comp.  Mostly coz I don't have anything better to use. 👍

Well that, and I also want to get at least one Thr Preview movie under my belt just in case I track any other pandemic era previews.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

AQP2 was projected to do 55m-70m back in Mar last year before the world went upside down. Now any number within this range for opening weekend will be a win since it did just in line with its pre-pandemic projection.  

I feel like Paramount is just hoping that everyone who wanted to see A Quiet Place 2 still does and will accept whatever it makes. After all, it was less than 10 days from opening and had spent pretty much the entire marketing budget when the world went into lockdown mode.

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Honestly, I feel like AQP2 will end up opening higher than it would've pre-pandemic.

I was thinking a bit about this last night after looking at Sacto numbers (for Thr Prev only).  Even though some of the pent up demand to cabin fever has burnt off thanks to some big(ish) movies the last month, I'm not entirely sure the cabin fever effect has been totally dispelled.

To add to that, this might be the first big true suspense/horror flick in theaters in quite a while.

While undoubtedly there will be many folks who plain aren't interested in an apocalyptic setting thanks to, well, everything, the Greeks knew what they were talking about when it came to catharsis (quick and dirty def: dealing with [repressed] emotions through works of art). 

I could see this bombing something fierce.  I could also see it relatively breaking out if it handles the subject matter deftly or it strikes a chord.

Then again, and this might be part of what you were saying, it's not like AQP II was lighting the world on fire ticket sale wise last year.  I was going back through my old posts and I was struck by how anemic the sales were compared to, say, It 2.  And I don't even think it was a 'rona effect at play, as it hadn't sunk in just how truly bad it would be.

• Like 2

A Quiet Place 2 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 26 1258 2.07%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 15 1256 1.19% 1

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
 73  N/A  7224  1.01%  9  39

$150 PWPs: 0        
$200 PWPs: 1        
$250 PWPs: 1        
$300 PWPs: 1        
Total 3        

Added 2 new theaters. Regals that have showtimes for Thursday. I plan to track the other Regals whenever they start doing previews again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I was thinking a bit about this last night after looking at Sacto numbers (for Thr Prev only).  Even though some of the pent up demand to cabin fever has burnt off thanks to some big(ish) movies the last month, I'm not entirely sure the cabin fever effect has been totally dispelled.

To add to that, this might be the first big true suspense/horror flick in theaters in quite a while.

While undoubtedly there will be many folks who plain aren't interested in an apocalyptic setting thanks to, well, everything, the Greeks knew what they were talking about when it came to catharsis (quick and dirty def: dealing with [repressed] emotions through works of art). 

I could see this bombing something fierce.  I could also see it relatively breaking out if it handles the subject matter deftly or it strikes a chord.

Then again, and this might be part of what you were saying, it's not like AQP II was lighting the world on fire ticket sale wise last year.  I was going back through my old posts and I was struck by how anemic the sales were compared to, say, It 2.  And I don't even think it was a 'rona effect at play, as it hadn't sunk in just how truly bad it would be.

You raise an interesting point to me. Could AQP 2 be a possible kind of benchmark for other studios to see if movies about post apoc/ and or virus type settings would resonate with the public. My thought is that people go to theatre to get away from reality for a couple of hours, not be reminded of it (esp in those theatres that are mask/distancing/other covid protocols in effect).

I agree that I think this film is either going to really well (people just wanting to get out and watch a film and not worry about setting and theme), or really poorly (people NOT wanting a gloomy reminder of the world right now). I think its going to be the WOM that will tell the tale as word gets out from viewers to their friends. Opening weekend I think won't really be an accurate take IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

It's interesting because something like The Last of 2 (a dour and depressing post-apocalyptic game that involves viruses) managed to become a huge hit and was generally quite well received. And this was right during the summer peak. But on the other hand, I do feel like the situation got much worse during the 2nd half of last year so maybe there might be a difference (and of course that example was incredibly fanbase driven)?

Definitely a weird situation for this movie to be in. Honestly, one of the reasons I thought it would do better is because I thought it would be having less competition than it had before (where it released right before Mulan and NTTD were coming out) but I just realised its releasing in between two other franchise horror films, so maybe it's in a worse situation than I thought. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Eric Bombay said:

Wrath of Man Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 1 95 256 9007 2.84%

Total Shows Added Today: 8

Total Seats Added Today: 1,402

Total Sellouts Added Today: 1

Total Seats Sold Today: 90

Comps

1.954x of Chaos Walking T-1 Before Release (2.59M)

1.463x of Nobody T-1 Before Release (3.67M)

Wrath of Man Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report Final Count (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 2 99 502 9219 5.45%

Total Shows Added Today: 4

Total Seats Added Today: 212

Total Seats Sold Today: 246

Comps

1.406x of Chaos Walking (1.86M)

0.885x of Nobody (2.22M)

...yeah, this is not gonna be pretty folks.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Eric Bombay said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-22 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 0 94 32 8356 0.38%

I don't have any comps since this is the farthest I've gone back in terms of days before release.

So...I will play benefit of the doubt here and acknowledge that there was no official ticket announcement. It's supposed to come with the trailer tomorrow, so this could just be a case where there's little awareness tickets are available.

But with all that said...this is not what I expected nor what I wanted to see tonight.

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-21 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 1 106 150 9564 1.57%

Total Shows Added Today: 12

Total Seats Added Today: 1,208

Total Seats Sold Today: 118

I hoped that things would get better when the trailer dropped and this isn't so bad. Nothing amazing, but for an "official" start, you can do a lot worse. Of course all this stuff is very up in the air, so we'll see what happens once the dust settles

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 5/5/2021 at 10:51 PM, Porthos said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-22 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

11.917%

Total Sellouts Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

Day One Comp

%

Sold Day 1

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

0/88

3412/3608

5.43%

7.83m

NOTE: Sacramento area tickets did not go on sale locally for the first couple of days of ticket sales nationwide due to area theaters being closed thanks to the 'rona.

NO PWP CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE FOR AQP II

======

AQP II did a LOT better in Sacto for whatever reason than it did in Philly.  In fact, it's already almost where AQP II - Take One was at when it was at T-18 (177 tickets sold).  Give or take, as I didn't realize that it originally had a double feature up and running.

As one might expect, it did very well at Century Arden today.  In fact, so well that when I went back and checked to make sure I didn't have an error in my sheets, a showing sold out.

Not many shows at all and no PWP are available, near as I can tell.  Not yet at least.  Though to be fair, one chain doesn't have Thr Previews up and running, though it did pop in Fri showings late tonight.

One other thing to note.  For whatever reason, neither Atom nor Fandango are showing the normal 7pm and later showings for AQP II at Cinemark locations (it is up for Regal) and are only showing the Q&A one at 5pm . This might be impacting sales elsewhere, I dunno. Hopefully will be fixed by tomorrow.  This does mean that the vast majority of local Cinemark sales were via the corp website.

So is Sacto the outlier or is Philly?  Find out soon enough. :)

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-21 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

19.36%

Total Seats Sold Today

Day Two Comp          (POTENTIALLY LOL - USE AT OWN RISK)

%

Sold Day 2

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

1/88

3280/3608

9.09%

7.61m

NOTE: Sacramento area tickets did not go on sale locally for the first couple of days of ticket sales nationwide due to area theaters being closed thanks to the 'rona.

===

Private Watch Party Showings - Cinemark ($149)

Adjusted Seats Approximation

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25] 

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism in this post.

===========

PWPs for AQP II for showings starting or after 7pm showed up tonight at a couple of Cinemarks, hence into the hopper it goes.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I was hoping for a solid 7-8M OW for Wrath of Man. Good reviews + all premium large format screens + lack of competition + star power in front and behind the screen.

Is it looking that bad?

22 hours ago, Eric Bombay said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-21 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 1 106 150 9564 1.57%

Total Shows Added Today: 12

Total Seats Added Today: 1,208

Total Seats Sold Today: 118

I hoped that things would get better when the trailer dropped and this isn't so bad. Nothing amazing, but for an "official" start, you can do a lot worse. Of course all this stuff is very up in the air, so we'll see what happens once the dust settles

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-20 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 1 106 181 9564 1.89%

Total Seats Sold Today: 31

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/6/2021 at 10:24 PM, Porthos said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-21 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

19.36%

Total Seats Sold Today

Day Two Comp          (POTENTIALLY LOL - USE AT OWN RISK)

%

Sold Day 2

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

1/88

3280/3608

9.09%

7.61m

===

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism in this post.

===========

PWPs for AQP II for showings starting or after 7pm showed up tonight at a couple of Cinemarks, hence into the hopper it goes.

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-20 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

22.86%

Total Seats Sold Today

Day Three Comp          (POTENTIALLY LOL - USE AT OWN RISK)

%

Sold Day 2

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

1/92

3310/3772

12.25%

6.40m

===

===========

Starting to slow down quite a bit in SacTown.  Not sure how much it is lack of screens and how much it is being nearly three weeks away from release.  Acting more like a traditional Thr Preview which slows down after the initial burst than GvK ever did.  Locally at least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I can't believe people aren't turning out in droves for Josh Hartnett's return to movies  Statham going HAM  on bad guys.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:22 PM, Eric Bombay said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-20 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 1 106 181 9564 1.89%

Total Seats Sold Today: 31

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-19 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 1 106 208 9564 2.17%

Total Seats Sold Today: 27 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Porthos said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-20 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

22.86%

Total Seats Sold Today

Day Three Comp          (POTENTIALLY LOL - USE AT OWN RISK)

%

Sold Day 2

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

1/92

3310/3772

12.25%

6.40m

===

===========

Starting to slow down quite a bit in SacTown.  Not sure how much it is lack of screens and how much it is being nearly three weeks away from release.  Acting more like a traditional Thr Preview which slows down after the initial burst than GvK ever did.  Locally at least.

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-19 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

25.17%

Total Seats Sold Today

Day Four Comp          (POTENTIALLY LOL - USE AT OWN RISK)

%

Sold Day 4

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

2/92

3093/3772

18.00%

4.78m

===

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2