grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

15 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Among whatever I checked. F9 seems to be doing better in Dolby while BW in IMAX.

Why do they even bother with 3D anymore?

james-cameron3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Among whatever I checked. F9 seems to be doing better in Dolby while BW in IMAX.

Why do they even bother with 3D anymore?

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

james-cameron3.jpg

More seriously, BW was shot in 2019 and in 2018/2019 3D showings for Marvel movies did well enough.  And in China they were/are practically the norm, from what I recall.

Still, I think this is the first (major) 3D movie to come out this year, so it'll be interesting to see how theaters handle it in the DOM market.  Can tell you locally that aside from a couple of Regals (which have been known to try to push 3D far beyond what the market will bear), it's only a scattering of showings.

Cinema West: doesn't have a single 3D showing locally.  Not counting them, here are some other $tats:

3D showings locally:                              15/99

3D seats sold [3D/total seats sold]:   83/1089

(If Cinema West theaters were included, the showings would be 15/121)

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah he make multiple films each year.

tenor.gif?itemid=14579006

I mean, someone has to pick up the slack for JCS and IronJimbo. :lol: 

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

All of Asia & Germany I think.

I wasn't questioning them making 3d film but why waste shows on 3D instead go 2D.

Because they'll still sell somewhat.  I mean, right now many theaters are only having one or two 3D showings for BW's preview night.  Even setting aside Cinema West, some don't have any.  I think having one or two 3D showings is acceptable.  Just don't make it so you are "forcing" people to get the 3D showings by putting it in the premium viewing slots/screens.

I can say anecdotally that 3D screen space has plummeted over the years here in Sacramento.  Even Regal has more or less thrown up its hands in defeat (they used to really be bad in trying to force it on folks here).

I do think some directors not named James Cameron still have some pull though, as I have seen some Marvel movies have far more 3D showings than would be expected, but that's probably a side discussion for another thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

From what @Inceptionzq mentioned, same in Denver.

The question for Denver is when AMC will stop blocking seats. Isn’t really hurting anything currently, but I wonder if they’ll be flipping the switch on June 15th. Still doesn’t make sense why they haven’t done so for Fast 9 and Black Widow though. Might just be easier to wait until then for the system?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

The question for Denver is when AMC will stop blocking seats. Isn’t really hurting anything currently, but I wonder if they’ll be flipping the switch on June 15th. Still doesn’t make sense why they haven’t done so for Fast 9 and Black Widow though. Might just be easier to wait until then for the system?

AMC said they're fine keeping the social distancing measures in place for the entire summer. All Florida theaters are still adhering to it, though non-recliner auditoriums have stopped blocking seats in rows ahead and behind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Seems pretty safe to assume we will get biggest 24 hours pre-sales for an MCU solo film behind Endgame and Infinity War.

Is curious though that Fandango hasn't said anything about BW's first day of presales from what I can tell.  Usually they (or a studio) likes to put out a PR blast even if it is pretty meaningless when actually looked at with a critical eye.  Something like "most presales for a Marvel movie since Endgame" would be a natural PR blast (though FFH did well initially, don't forget). 

I mean, we know it did pretty well, so I'm not suggesting anything here.  Just... Curious, is all I am sayin'.

(am I posting this in an attempt to will a statement from Fandango/Atom/Disney into existence?  Not tellin'. :ph34r:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

AMC said they're fine keeping the social distancing measures in place for the entire summer. All Florida theaters are still adhering to it, though non-recliner auditoriums have stopped blocking seats in rows ahead and behind.

How distant is their social distancing? 3 foot? 

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I doubt AMC keeps this up for another month when they see it’s actual relevant to business.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

How distant is their social distancing? 3 foot? 

In Denver, it’s just one seat between parties for the most part. There’s the occasional two seats between parties, even when most are just one seat between in the same showing, idk why some are like that.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 1:26 PM, Inceptionzq said:

Fast 9 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 83 848 9.79%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 78 1665 4.68%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
517 42 12923 4.00% 15 63

A Quiet Place 2 comp: 9.47M

Fast 9 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 94 848 11.08%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 84 1665 5.05%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
550 33 13037 4.22% 15 64

Showings added: 1

Seats added: 114

A Quiet Place 2 comp: 9.39M

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

This time around, I'll be surprised if there is a single PWP for BW's Opening Night in my market.  And even if there are a couple of scattered slots made available, it might be close to a rounding error.

Gonna have to eat my words here slightly, as I have verified that Black Widow IS available for purchase as a PWP at Cinemark for Opening Night.  At $199 (instead of $149 as discussed earlier in the thread).

However, there's only two PWP showings available region wide at the moment.  One at Cen Arden (a 5pm showing, already booked) and a 6pm showing at Cen Greenback (still open, which is how I was able to verify that Cinemark has PWPs available for BW).

But all other Cinemark locations?  No PWPs available 5pm or later.  As of right now.

@Inceptionzq might want to know this as he has Cinemarks in his track.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

On 6/12/2021 at 1:01 AM, Inceptionzq said:

Black Widow Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 149 1980 7.53%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 180 1939 9.28%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST ~11 HOURS TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
743 145 21278 3.49% 15 112

Thought about doing a 24 hour update, but don't really wanna get up that early. There shouldn't be much ticket sales for the next 6 hours anyways, so this will be close to the 24 hour figure. 

Black Widow Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 161 1980 8.13%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 189 1939 9.75%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST 13 HOURS TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
789 46 21278 3.71% 15 112

Won't have any actual comps for a while. I suppose I'll do a comp to the final total of Lion King and Rise of Skywalker, but take them with a big grain of salt.

Black Widow has sold 656 tickets in the comparable theaters.

TLK final count comp: 1.99M, adjusted: 1.61M

TRoS final count comp: 1.84M, adjusted: 1.59M

Edited by Inceptionzq
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@Inceptionzq might want to know this as he has Cinemarks in his track.

Yeah, I've noticed them at my Cinemarks too. There is actually one that has sold at 7:30, but it did so before Black Widow tickets/PWPs were on sale. Noticed when I was setting up my tracking sheet. Might've been an employee that got to reserve it before it went public. But that's the only one that has sold, so I'm not gonna worry about it unless there's a decent amount selling.

• Like 1

Black Widow MTC2 (315 theaters)

Thursday:

Showtimes: 2620

Tickets Sold: 19137/409072

Friday:

Showtimes: 4689

Tickets Sold: 10340/733806

Will add estimated $ values in tomorrow's update. 

Question to other trackers, have you guys been including social distancing blocked seats in the "Seats Available/Total Seats" number? 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I've seen some discussion in the thread about this the last couple of days, but I don't want to hunt for the quotes.

As I look into Canada, not taking caps into account, would it be safe to say that Ontario is the only major holdout right now?  Can't find any easy info on Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI, but as I poke about it does appear that of the major areas of Canada, it's only Ontario which is still shuttered.

Which, given it's around 40% of the Canadian market ain't nothing.  But does make me want to adjust my ad-hoc 90% estimate in regards to pre-pandemic movies up to 95%.  Also might mean a slight bump to any AQP II comps, though I suspect F9 will be the best comp when all is said and done.

• Like 1