grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

That number looks a bit too high somehow. Assuming it was discount day, so may be $120K gross (?). $900k (?)

Edit. We are tracking weekdays after a while, forget that MTC2 has higher ratio in weekdays. So $120K should be $650-675K. If there was no discount, then well 170K MTC 2 and $1M nationwide.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

That number looks a bit too high somehow. Assuming it was discount day, so may be $120K gross (?). $900k (?)

Edit. We are tracking weekdays after a while, forget that MTC2 has higher ratio in weekdays. So $120K should be $650-675K. If there was no discount, then well 170K MTC 2 and $1M nationwide.

I'm predicting $1.5M today. What's your prediction?

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, counted today at 10am EST for Friday (Friday only):

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 46 (9 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
4 (6 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 4 (9 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9):
0 (4 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
9 (7 showtime)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 9 (6 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal):
60 (13 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 132.
Comps: Angel has Fallen (21.4M OW/ca. 20M without previews) had on Wednesday of its release week in the same 7 theaters 293 sold tickets for Friday.
Those Who Wish Me Dead had also on Wednesday in 4 theaters 81 sold tickets for Friday (HWB sold in the same 4 theaters 124 tickets).

So it did not sell much (only NY and LA look ok) but it gets surprisingly many shows in all of my theaters - obviously they expect it to have good walk-ups. If it follows Angel has Fallen it would be closer to 10M than 5M for the 3-day OW (but AhF had very good walk-ups).
Let's see how it looks tomorrow. And if we get Preview numbers today we could see if it's a walk-up film or not.
PS: I looked at its RT page and the first user reviews are quite good: some complain about the storyline and too much cursing but most liked the interaction and say it's funny and entertaining.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If anything it will be slightly low as I cannot yet account for last minute added shows. Shouldn't really matter for this but I will try to get it fixed for F9.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Reviews for Luca are of the "cute but lesser Pixar" variety, which I'm guessing Disney saw coming and played a large part in their decision to just make it a D+ exclusive in a still-recovering marketplace.

I mean "cute animated film" should play pretty well with kids. Would be better than practically all of the kids movie output from studios post-pandemic.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean "cute animated film" should play pretty well with kids. Would be better than practically all of the kids movie output from studios post-pandemic.

FWIW Minions 2 was the other "Big Summer 2021 Animated Entry" a few months ago and Universal ended up deciding to sit on it for another year. I guess studios just decided to take the "all or nothing" approach to these titles when the only other cartoon titles to hit screens in the pandemic era (with the exception of maybe Raya) were always going to come with diminished expectations in comparison.

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Fast 9 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 100 848 11.79%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 101 1665 6.07%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
633 28 13251 4.78% 15 67

A Quiet Place 2 comp: 8.66M

Just keeps dropping...

Fast 9 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 105 848 12.38%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 105 1665 6.31%

679 46 14953 4.54% 15 76

Showings added: 9

Seats added: 1702

A Quiet Place 2 comp: 8.79M

Solid day, and finally a reversal in the trend. Let's see if it can continue to trend upward from here on out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/15/2021 at 1:57 PM, Inceptionzq said:

Black Widow Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 244 1980 12.32%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 256 1939 13.20%

1101 85 21278 5.17% 15 112

TLK final count comp: 2.84M; adjusted: 2.3M

TRoS final count comp: 2.63M; adjusted: 2.27M

Black Widow Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 250 1980 12.63%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 262 1939 13.51%

1140 39 21278 5.36% 15 112

TLK final count comp: 2.95M; adjusted: 2.39M

TRoS final count comp: 2.73M; adjusted: 2.36M

I'll do a Megaplex update late tonight for Fast 9/Black Widow Thursdays and Fridays. After that I'll probably do those updates the same time I do these ones.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Kinda (ie a lot) long term concern, but as I just mentioned in the CC thread, in a very long overdue move, Juneteenth is going to be a federal holiday in the US starting next year (well, the House has to pass the bill and the Pres sign it, but those are certainties). 

Upshot for this thread is that means another 4-day weekend on the calendar and possibly some movie shuffling in June going forward to take advantage of the date.

Time will tell how much it actually affects the box office, especially as some states already had it as a paid state holiday.  But federal holiday is a Big Deal, IMO and it'll have some impact.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

True, but there's SO MUCH coming out in July...I didn't realize Boss Baby 2 was arriving in 2 weeks til yesterday...I saw the preview in the theater today and couldn't decide if it was cute, or way too da$n complicated a setup for a sequel...I never saw the 1st, though...somehow, all these years, and I've managed to miss a kid movie, so maybe that's why it wasn't on my radar...without a miracle price, I'll be missing this one, too, for other July movies and summer kid express...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Kinda (ie a lot) long term concern, but as I just mentioned in the CC thread, in a very long overdue move, Juneteenth is going to be a federal holiday in the US starting next year (well, the House has to pass the bill and the Pres sign it, but those are certainties). 

Upshot for this thread is that means another 4-day weekend on the calendar and possibly some movie shuffling in June going forward to take advantage of the date.

Time will tell how much it actually affects the box office, especially as some states already had it as a paid state holiday.  But federal holiday is a Big Deal, IMO and it'll have some impact.

Sony has just moved Oh Hell No to that weekend next year. :thinking:

• Like 1

Megaplex

F9 T-8 Days

Thursday - 667

Friday - 780

Yep this is selling much better on Friday than on Thursday. @Menor data showed Friday strong as well. May be people aren't hot about Thursday, but this is weird because I was wondering if everything is getting super previews heavy. or may be something off with this film on THU in this specific chain.

As for raw numbers, THU numbers suggest $950K previews so far, which is a bit lower than most of our tracking suggests.

Spoiler

@Inceptionzq I am sure you would have noticed, but The District has blocked seats in front row for their IMAX shows. There may be other seats blocked in some other theaters, but this one was pretty evident. There were 2 shows on THU and 4 on FRI, I have removed 60 on THU and 120 on FRI for F9.

For BW IIRC there were 28 seats yesterday, 2 showings giving 56. 

wrong #s for Thurs.
  • Like 4

On 6/15/2021 at 11:44 PM, Eric is Full of Pride said:

F9 Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-9 and Counting (Thu)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 2 59 936 9428 9.93%

Total Showings Added Today: 6

Total Seats Added Today: 742

Total Seats Sold Today: 45

Comp

0.765x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-9 Before Release (7.42M)

1.467x of A Quiet Place Part II's Thu+Fri T-9 Before Release (28.41M)

F9 Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-8 and Counting (Thu)

TOTALS 2 59 1002 9428 10.63%

Total Seats Sold Today: 66

Comp

0.772x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-8 Before Release (7.49M)

1.264x of A Quiet Place Part II's Thu+Fri T-8 Before Release (24.47M)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 6/15/2021 at 11:48 PM, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Black Widow Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-23 and Counting (Thu)

TOTALS 0 78 1276 13039 9.79%

Total Seats Sold Today: 96

Black Widow Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-22 and Counting (Thu)

TOTALS 0 79 1346 13084 10.29%

Total Shows Added Today: 1

Total Seats Added Today: 45

Total Seats Sold Today: 70

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Black Widow in Megaplex has sold 1461 seats in 14 locs. Using $13.5 ATP, $19.7K. That's in line with $1.9-2M Nationwide our other trackings are showing. There is big scope for it to rise.

Black Widow Megaplex

Thursday: 1519(+58)/20351 in 14 theaters. $20,507 with $13.50 ATP

Friday: 842/35428 in 14 theaters. $11,367 with $13.50 ATP

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The District has blocked seats in front row for their IMAX shows. There may be other seats blocked in some other theaters, but this one was pretty evident. There were 2 shows on THU and 4 on FRI, I have removed 60 on THU and 120 on FRI for F9.

For BW IIRC there were 28 seats yesterday, 2 showings giving 56.

Yeah, I noticed. It was also 30 seats each for BW.

Btw, how are you coming up with the $13.50 ATP? Did you use past data from other Marvel movies in Megaplexs?

Also, it should be noted that a Megaplex location in downtown Salt Lake City, the Gateway, is undergoing renovations that should wrap up sometime this Summer. It came back up on the drop down list of theaters today, so it might be open very soon. Not the biggest Megaplex, it came behind 6 other Megaplexs for The Rise of Skywalker OW, but it did come in 40th on the national rankings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Btw, how are you coming up with the $13.50 ATP? Did you use past data from other Marvel movies in Megaplexs?

Naa just random looking up at few shows. IMAX is $14.5, Luxury seating is $16.5, ATMOS is $13.9 and 2D normal is $9. So just took $13.5, though can be $14 easily as majority seats sold are premium ones.