grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

If we were going just by my local theaters, I'd say Space Jam was about to have a 20m OD. Sold out (minus front row) at 7 and 8 timeframes and well on the way to getting there for the 10pm timeframe. But this is a plurality black area where LeBron brought us two championships, so I imagine it is hella overperforming here. If it's somehow not hella performing here, this is getting closer to 40m than 25m this weekend. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I hope people aren’t going to declare The Suicide Squad a failure when it inevitably opens lower than the 2016 film. There’s precisely zero chance it opens or finishes that high, but I don’t think anyone should be expecting it to, nor do I think WB is under any illusions that it will. The negativity around this film seems oddly pervasive on here, whereas everywhere else I look seems to be more hyped for it.

Also, nobody watched the first film for the Joker’s 5-10 minutes of screen time, so his absence won’t affect it one iota. No Jared Leto will probably help it if anything…

The first one opened at over 130m, this once would be lucky to get 50m I think. The movie needs to speak for itself as the first one was very bad and people have doubts about this one. Seems like people on here didn’t like the trailers so that’s their opinion, I’ve personally loved the trailers.

As I’ve said a few times in this thread and the movies thread, I hope WB has expectations in check cause all I’m looking for is a good movie to help rebuild the brand and that’s what they should want as well, so far reactions have been good but need to see full reviews. 

I don’t know what they movie will make but presales haven’t started out good. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Walks up are phenomenal in both MTC. They are adding shows as well. If it amps during evening hours I think 500K+ between 2 chains is happening. I think it could hit 13m+ OD. 

Amazing what a difference between over performing and just meeting expectations feels like 🤣 thanks for the updates. 

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

@keysersoze123 can you post numbers for SJ2 so far but not excluding pre-sales for later shows. Even the one from last run will suffice.

I wanna see the morning show occupancy and how many shows in morning and noon

I dont think its possible as I have to account for timezone and I dont know based on looking at the show. 

16 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Walks up are phenomenal in both MTC. They are adding shows as well. If it amps during evening hours I think 500K+ between 2 chains is happening. I think it could hit 13m+ OD. 

any up for black widow ?

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The service haven’t released any exact numbers yet and they don’t provide for Neilsen. 

Samba TV aren’t reputable. 

We do have the words of a Warner exec who implied (or actually maybe outright said) what I said.

Jacksonville weekend sales by day with comps

Thu Fri Sat Sun
Forever Purge 127 163 37 7
Escape Room 2 187 194 65 19
F9 1155 2017 941 440
Space Jam   1557 460 148
Roadrunner 100 119 74 54

Space Jam is not as frontloaded as I was expecting with 28% of sales being from Sat/Sun.  Looks to be pretty similar percentage to Peter Rabbit 2 (31.5%) and Boss Baby 2 (29.7%).   

Escape Room 2 is the same way, despite the early previews.  Sat/Sun account for 18% of the weekend sales where Forever Purge was only at 13.2%.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

I hope people aren’t going to declare The Suicide Squad a failure when it inevitably opens lower than the 2016 film. There’s precisely zero chance it opens or finishes that high, but I don’t think anyone should be expecting it to, nor do I think WB is under any illusions that it will. The negativity around this film seems oddly pervasive on here, whereas everywhere else I look seems to be more hyped for it.

Also, nobody watched the first film for the Joker’s 5-10 minutes of screen time, so his absence won’t affect it one iota. No Jared Leto will probably help it if anything…

Nah, it would be a failure if it opens under Space Jam 2:)...that, I think we'd all agree on...

50 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

So, I could look like a genius this weekend?:)  You know, I shouldn't write this, b/c I'm gonna 100% jinx myself and then regret this post for years:)...

PS - Don't sleep on the wide-appealing kid movie that's well and widely advertised in a prime summer date!:)

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That being available for free on HBOMax doesn’t impact the box office? 

He said films that ended up doing badly in the boxoffice have no interest in general. HBO Max isn't attracting those people and isn't the reason they did poorly.

"Our experience, which is backed up on 'In the Heights,' is that if the movie hits a high level in theaters, it hits a high level on the service," Goldstein said. "If it hits a low level in theaters, it hits a low level on HBO Max. They're really very comparable."

Obviously HBO Max impacts the boxoffice a bit, but it's not making people who had little interest in a movie watch it at home instead of the cinemas. Why would The Suicide Squad be any different? I don't think the marketing has done a good job of making people even a little curious.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, I could look like a genius this weekend?:)  You know, I shouldn't write this, b/c I'm gonna 100% jinx myself and then regret this post for years:)...

PS - Don't sleep on the wide-appealing kid movie that's well and widely advertised in a prime summer date!:)

*cough*

On 7/12/2021 at 10:03 AM, Porthos said:

I dunno folks.  Maybe we were just sleeping on the nostalgia factor for Space Jam.  Is fondly thought of among folks of a certain age in a way that should/could cut across some of the faultiness of the culture wars.

Right there with you, sister. ;)

Been lowkey calling for a SJ2 breakout for a few days now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

*cough*

Right there with you, sister. ;)

Been lowkey calling for a SJ2 breakout for a few days now.

I didn't say I was gonna be the only genius (or person with egg on their face) - but when you have to buck all the professionals all week, it will feel good if we end up being the unpaid experts for the week:)...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I didn't say I was gonna be the only genius (or person with egg on their face)

Oh, I know.  Was more kinda kicking myself for not being more forceful about this.  I've actually kiiiiiiiinda thought this had potential for a few weeks now, even when taking in over-performance in some major metros. 

Your point about a pure kid friendly movie that looks fun is a good one, BTW.  I know we in this thread, and elsewhere, had something of a fight on whether or not Cruella really was a "family movie".  I maintained it was, and its legs seem to bear that hypothesis out.

But if Cruella is on the higher end age wise of the "family movie" spectrum and if Peter Rabbit 2 was "eh"*, well this just looks like fun.  And it's not like kids care about an overabundance of cameos in their cartoons (which near as I can tell is the biggest criticism).  Plus the subtle, but real IMO, difference between a movie targeted at families and a movie targets at kids.

Of course, does depend on what "breakout" actually means.  But I tend to think anything starting with a "3" for the OW would qualify, as well as anything at the very high end of tracking.

* Lets also not forget that PR2 is approaching a 4x multi.  Maybe not hard with only a 10m opening, but still...

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 1:18 PM, Inceptionzq said:

Jungle Cruise Denver Thursday Showings

AMC Westminster 24

Total 11 687 1.60%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 0 805 0.00%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
42 10 11341 0.37% 15 50

Showings added: 8

Seats added: 1337

Not so good, but I didn't expect this to be much of a seller 2 weeks out anyways. The last few days will be what really matters.

Jungle Cruise Denver Thursday Showings

AMC Westminster 24

Total 12 687 1.75%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 5 805 0.62%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST ~26 HOURS TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
66 24 11666 0.57% 15 51

Showings added; 1

Seats added: 325

Cruella day 3 comp: 1.05M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They said they’ve already sold about 100,000 tickets by around 10:30am this morning for the weekend.

I’ve also checked the site and they have many private theatre sell outs also, each theatre is $250 for groups of 20 or less. Not sure if those numbers would be included with the 100k. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1