grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Is a 5 year old movie really to blame though? Aquaman did just fine coming off JL only a year later

Also, even if we were to believe Suicide Squad left a stain that will forever plague the brand and the characters, the new management of the DCEU are the people responsible for wasting time and money on a spin-off and a sequel to Suicide Squad instead of making movies fans are interested in. I don't know why no one's talking about that or speculating about the future of the DCEU under these people. They were not forced to make Birds Of Prey and The Suicide Squad, the old producers and filmmakers don't deserve to carry the blame for these decisions.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Also, even if we were to believe Suicide Squad left a stain that will forever plague the brand and the characters, the new management of the DCEU are the people responsible for wasting time and money on a spin-off and a sequel to Suicide Squad instead of making movies fans are interested in. I don't know why no one's talking about that or speculating about the future of the DCEU under these people. They were not forced to make Birds Of Prey and The Suicide Squad, the old producers and filmmakers don't deserve to carry the blame for these decisions.

DC doesn’t seem to know what fans are interested in, though. It seems like fans only care about Snyder Cut since that’s what they’ve complained about for years. Aquaman was a surprise hit featuring a character featured in a terrible movie while they took a gamble on new character with Shazam and it underwhelmed. They’re not as consistent as Marvel

Harley Quinn is an iconic character and Margot Robbie’s performance was a standout from Suicide Squad. Her film included new characters that might interest fans. They weren’t forced to make Birds of Prey but it made logical sense given the potential 

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

23 hours ago, Porthos said:

The Suicide Squad Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-18 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

1.92%

Total Seats Sold Today

Day 5 Unadjusted Comp - PROBABLY LOL AT THIS POINT - USE AT OWN RISK

%

Sold Day 5

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

Ont Comp

F9

0/93

13462/14101

4.53%

2.98m

3.12m

BW

0/104

16488/18186

9.34%

2.08m

2.18m

ONTARIO COMP NOTE: Ont Comp is the number given in the Comp column/0.955 to reflect the return of Ontario theaters to the DOM market.

Day 5 Adjusted Comp - CERTAINLY LOL AT THIS POINT - USE AT OWN RISK

%

Sold Day 5

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

Ont Comp

AQP II

2/28

981/1343

26.95%

3.53m

3.69m

TSS (adj)

---

0/81

13566/13832

1.92%

---

---

SELLOUT NOTE:  Locally, AQP II was still under a capacity cap, which greatly inflated the number of sellouts as well as depressing the amount of seats available.

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: TSS (adj) is the amount of seats sold without DBOX seats counted, which started to be tracked with F9's track.

===

Ooof.  TSS better hope Tomato Law comes through.

(Could also be a Hobbs & Shaw situation, where folks are just waiting until much later to buy tickets, though why that would be, I have no idea)

The Suicide Squad Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-17 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

2.01%

Total Seats Sold Today

Day 6 Unadjusted Comp - PROBABLY LOL AT THIS POINT - USE AT OWN RISK

%

Sold Day 6

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

Ont Comp

F9

0/93

13414/14101

4.87%

2.89m

3.03m

BW

0/105

16847/18618

9.51%

2.09m

2.19m

ONTARIO COMP NOTE: Ont Comp is the number given in the Comp column/0.955 to reflect the return of Ontario theaters to the DOM market.

Day 6 Adjusted Comp - CERTAINLY LOL AT THIS POINT - USE AT OWN RISK

%

Sold Day 6

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

Ont Comp

AQP II

4/28

939/1343

30.08%

3.30m

3.46m

TSS (adj)

---

0/81

13554/13832

2.01%

---

---

SELLOUT NOTE:  Locally, AQP II was still under a capacity cap, which greatly inflated the number of sellouts as well as depressing the amount of seats available.

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: TSS (adj) is the amount of seats sold without DBOX seats counted, which started to be tracked with F9's track.

===

Gonna sync up all comps to T-x starting tomorrow; expect shifts in comps, except for AQP II.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, cax16 said:

Imo Yes, it has the same name basically with some carry over cast members.

If the movie is good it will set itself apart but it’s hard to blame people who see the title and don’t want to give this a chance right away. 

Then it begs the question: why make another one with some of the same cast if the "stench" of the first one is that strong? 

1 hour ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Then it begs the question: why make another one with some of the same cast if the "stench" of the first one is that strong? 

Because the studio believes in the concept and are willing to take a short term hit roll the dice ride out the initial skepticism in the expectations that the audience will follow.

I also suspect the studio didn't think the stench was that strong, but they wouldn't be the first studio to underestimate bad feelings surrounding a film and they certainly won't be the last.

NB:  They had approximately 747 million reasons to go back to the well but this time "do it right".

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DlAMONDZ said:

I think had they not gotten James Gun WB likely would not have done another Suicide Squad movie, and getting him to direct this was one of the more smarter moves WB has made in recent years. Gunn is popular and he's got that marvel clout so those who liked his Guardians of the Galaxy movies would be interested in seeing what his does with this.

Making another Suicide Squad movie was always going to be a risk but I suppose they're looking at the long term; making a good movie that does just alright box office wise but helps improve the image of the overall brand could yield higher results for other related projects down the road, that's how I see it anyway.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 3

WB's marketing in TSS is severely lacking. We are only 3 weeks away from opening but I sense no significant hype surround it. The good reviews may push fans to rush out in group but generally public will grow pretty numb without event-like buzz building. 

8 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Is a 5 year old movie really to blame though? Aquaman did just fine coming off JL only a year later

The trailers for TSS were pretty bad too

49 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

WB's marketing in TSS is severely lacking. We are only 3 weeks away from opening but I sense no significant hype surround it. The good reviews may push fans to rush out in group but generally public will grow pretty numb without event-like buzz building. 

When are you people on the internet realize that hype does not equal marketing???? It’s so annoying seeing the same damn argument. Hype cannot be manufactured it’s organic. Marketing is there as  an incentive to hype but does not guarantee hype.

If that was the case all tentpoles ever released  would have hype.  If the hype is not there is not there, there’s not much that the marketing team can do beside following the plan and hoping the movie (which eventually is the best marketing tool in it itself )  pulls  through  

PS: i have been in Mexico city for 5 days and it full of TSS billboards  and non stop tv spot.

Edited by Manny G
  • Like 4

Old Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting (Thu)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 20 135 3269 4.13%

Comp

0.192x of Conjuring 3 3 Days Before Release (1.88M)

2.045x of Forever Purge T-3 (2.72M)

1.436x of Escape Room 2 (1.72M)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 7/18/2021 at 11:16 PM, Eric E Coyote said:

Snake Eyes Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-4 and Counting (Thu)

TOTALS 0 27 105 5202 2.02%

Total Seats Sold Today: 14

Comp

0.141x of Mortal Kombat's Fri T-4 (1.28M)

0.167x of A Quiet Place Part II's Thu+Fri T-4 (3.23M)

0.527x of Cruella's Thu+Fri T-4 (4.06M)

I mean the comps all went up, but this is still a soft final Sunday. In fact, sales in general were really quiet today. Hope this isn't foreboding or anything.

Snake Eyes Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting (Thu)

TOTALS 0 27 150 5202 2.02%

Total Seats Sold Today: 45

Comp

0.099x of Mortal Kombat's Fri 3 Days Before Release (901K)

0.088x of A Quiet Place Part II's Thu+Fri T-3 (1.71M)

0.297x of Cruella's Thu+Fri T-3 (2.29M)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

It’s well known that Warner Bros usually kick into high marketing gear the week before release. They’ve just opened Space Jam. 

UK tv spots have started, hence the two early positive reviews (from BBC and Digital Spy). 

So, I open my TMobile phone today...Snake Eyes will win this weekend:)...

T-Mobile/Sprint Customers 07/20: $5 off Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins with no additional Atom fees...

If this doesn't presell this movie, I don't know what would...

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 11:27 PM, Eric E Coyote said:

Jungle Cruise Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-11 and Counting (Thu)

TOTALS 0 35 50 7427 0.67%

Total Seats Sold Today: 1

Comp

0.467x of Cruella's Thu+Fri T-11 (3.60M)

Jungle Cruise Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-10 and Counting (Thu)

TOTALS 0 35 59 7427 0.67%

Total Seats Sold Today: 9

Comp

0.484x of Cruella's Thu+Fri T-10 (3.72M)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 7/18/2021 at 11:30 PM, Eric E Coyote said:

The Suicide Squad Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-18 and Counting (Thu)

TOTALS 0 35 213 8111 2.63%

Comp

0.361x of F9 T-18 (2.56M)

0.135x of Black Widow T-19 (1.79M)

The Suicide Squad Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-17 and Counting (Thu)

TOTALS 0 35 222 8111 2.74%

Comp

0.353x of F9 T-17 (2.51M)

0.136x of Black Widow (1.8M)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4