grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

33 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

IT insane pre-sale indicate that online trailer views means something, same goes to SING, massive number of trailer views on you tube, still people doubt it

Are people really doubting that social media and platforms like Youtube is the most accurate way of measuring the hype of a movie aimed at young adults/adults? It's 2017 guys, of cource trailer views mean something. It means a lot..

Edited by FantasticBeasts

With Hurricane Irma on track to hit Florida this Saturday-Monday, the weekend is definitely going to be impacted. Theaters in the southeast part of the state are definitely going to be closed on Saturday and Sunday (winds are projected to be 100 MPH for Miami on Sunday!), and theaters more upstate will likely be closed Sunday and Monday. This will lead to some better than expected Tuesday increases and holds next week.

IT is currently #1 on Movietickets with 16.5% sales in the last 24 hours. It's been steadily increasing, it was 13% about 5 hours ago. I'm not sure how other movies look few days before release, is this normal?

UPDATE 1:45PM EST.

IT is now 18.3% on Movietickets. 

Edited by We0uthere

IT is selling very well at my theater. Should surpass Dunkirk, Annabelle Creation, Alien Covenant, and Pirates 5 in tickets sold here by Thursday morning. Running of the same pace as Spider-Man: Homecoming at my theater but still behind Wonder Woman. 

Sold               Total Available     Percent Sold

It 205 1,138 18.0%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, We0uthere said:

IT is currently #1 on Movietickets with 16.5% sales in the last 24 hours. It's been steadily increasing, it was 13% about 5 hours ago. I'm not sure how other movies look few days before release, is this normal?

UPDATE 1:45PM EST.

IT is now 18.3% on Movietickets. 

20.3% on MT now.  Not bad for cheap Tuesday.  In all likelihood making its way toward 80%+ on Friday

1 minute ago, Rumpot said:

20.3% on MT now.  Not bad for cheap Tuesday.  In all likelihood making its way toward 80%+ on Friday

Also 50-75% on Fandango Box office meter. They don't give you the number but if you look at the sales long enough - in every 20 sales, about 10-15 is IT. 

This is my first time tracking a movie this intensely so I honestly don't know what these numbers mean. For all I know this could be normal for movies with a $50M OW. 

20 minutes ago, We0uthere said:

Also 50-75% on Fandango Box office meter. They don't give you the number but if you look at the sales long enough - in every 20 sales, about 10-15 is IT. 

This is my first time tracking a movie this intensely so I honestly don't know what these numbers mean. For all I know this could be normal for movies with a $50M OW. 

No. This is more than your average 50m opener does. Way more.

I'm seeing a LOT of new showings added in Northern Virginia and DC to numerous theaters for Thursday - checking on AMC app so these are all AMCs:

3 added to AMC Georgetown (now 5)

2 IMAX added to AMC Hoffman Center 22 (now 6)

4 added to AMC Wheaton Mall (now 6), 2 added to AMC Academy (now 4)

2 added to AMC St. Charles Town Center (730 and 1030 completely SOLD OUT and the 2 showings added for 7 and 10 more than 50% full)

6 added to AMC Columbia 14 , 2 are IMAX (10 now)

3 added to AMC Security Square (5 now)

7 added to AMC White Marsh 16 (11 now)

What is most interesting to me is these smaller theaters with a lot of seats filled.  The most popular theater around here is AMC Tyson's corner which only has 2 Dolby shows and 2 regular as of now.  For even the most popular movies this theater fills up and the surrounding ones don't usually fill more than 40%....but here the surrounding theaters are doing extremely well even the late showings.  Accordingly a lot of new showings being added to those.  

The preview number for IT could end up pretty ridiculous...

1 hour ago, We0uthere said:

Presales are currently outpacing Doctor Strange ($85m) and are on par / close to Fantastic Beasts ($74m). Don't see it being much more fan-driven than either of those.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/it-stephen-king-movie-weekend-box-office-1202161829/

New Line’s feature adaptation of Stephen King’s 1986 novel It is expected to rake in an opening in the $60 million range, while some tracking services believe the Andy Muschietti-directed pic has a shot at $70M. That lofty estimate may be due to the fact that It is really the only want-to-see film on tracking right now; it is why those estimates are so big. But even if the film lands in the $40M range (which we’re told it won’t — It will not crash), it’s a huge hit for New Line considering the film before P&A was made for a reported $35M. Any three-day take above $48.4M makes It the highest opening ever for the month of September

The second wide release for this weekend is Open Road’s Reese Witherspoon romantic comedy Home Again from Hallie Meyers-Shyer, daughter of Nancy Meyers and Charles Shyer. Pic follows an Angelino single mom whose life is upended when she allows three young guys to move in. Pic currently has a 22% RT score and looks to do around $10M-$12M per tracking, which is under Witherspoon’s previous 2015 comedy Hot Pursuit ($13.9M).

• Like 2