grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Looks like Paramount is pulling an Arrival on mother!'s TC: 2,367. AA is up to 3,100 now

Paramout paramounting. There is tons of space for new releases but they can't get a bigger number of theaters. This is gonna work out well lmao.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Paramout paramounting. There is tons of space for new releases but they can't get a bigger number of theaters. This is gonna work out well lmao.

Can't wait for mother! to have a PTA several thousand higher than AA. They won't be able to get a significant number of theaters until the 29th, and even then Battle of the Sexes is probably going wide that weekend.

4a4.gif

16 hours ago, Rumpot said:

FWIW American Assassin has a lot of twitter engagement relative to most movies.  25.2K followers on twitter is more than half what IT had 3 days before release (was about 42K).  Hitman's Bodyguard was around 5K and Annabelle around 7-8K.  Engagement on tweets is a lot too.  

I don't entirely get it, but this movie may break out to some extent.

No. It's social media engagement is all from Dylan O Brien fanbase.. it's a cult. It will not amount to much. It's just all his fan girls going crazy about this movie. I would take this with a lot of salt. 

AA's presales are probably good enough for a mid-teens opening with the potential to go higher or lower. mother! has a lot more variables at play, but it's selling pretty close to AA on Pulse. Given horror is walkup based, I take that as a very encouraging sign. Low TCs don't matter if the product is appealing. I'm not defending Paramount thouh; that TC is fucking hilarious :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

Mother! 16 234 6.8%
American Assassin 23 580 4.0%

American Assassin is picking up but it still lags behind other action films. 

Mother! is absolutely pitiful. It is on the three smallest screens, showtimes have been posted for 3 weeks, and has sold only 2 tickets since Monday. SAD!!

12 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Mother! 16 234 6.8%
American Assassin 23 580 4.0%

American Assassin is picking up but it still lags behind other action films. 

Mother! is absolutely pitiful. It is on the three smallest screens, showtimes have been posted for 3 weeks, and has sold only 2 tickets since Monday. SAD!!

.....It's a horror film.

1 hour ago, We0uthere said:

No. It's social media engagement is all from Dylan O Brien fanbase.. it's a cult. It will not amount to much. It's just all his fan girls going crazy about this movie. I would take this with a lot of salt. 

That's fair, I'm not assessing the quality of this engagement so conclusions are iffy.  I will say it is increasing as we get closer to release which I would presume is good.  When we get to tomorrow evening or Friday evening I can compare Fandango ticket sales rate to Hitman's Bodyguard (20/min Thursday evening, 20-25/min Friday).  With a sea of IT sales in the background Fandango sales rate much better gauge than MT.com %

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lmao while I was in the hotel lobby last night they had Fox News (gtfo) on and during the commercials they showed a spot for Only the Brave. Know your audience, I guess.

American Assassin airs a lot of ads there too (as I've said god knows how many times). KITSCHJOB. HIS POWER.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

American Assassin airs a lot of ads there too (as I've said god knows how many times). KITSCHJOB. HIS POWER.

Between these two and Lone Survivor, he's certainly cornered the market for appearing in Fox News-friendly movies to make up for his failed leading man career.

5 minutes of watching Fandango Box Office Meter

AA - 17 sales ; 3.4/min

Mother! - 16 sales ; 3.2/min

pretty much identical.  I have no great comparison for 2 days before release, but numbers so small though that comparison won't be that helpful anyway

American Assassin does feel like it's bound to open higher than mother! at this point. I wonder if the lack of adult male-targeted actioners in the marketplace since, like, Dunkirk is helping (other than The Hitman's Bodyguard but that was more of a comedy).