grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

39 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

I know you’re a busy guy with a life and don’t want to bother you overly, but am I likely to see a Mon comparison soon or should I just put it out of my mind.

Yes. I was out mostly today. Tried running it in between and I ended up deleting the wrong file :-)

Monday PS looks strong

MTC1 - 107318/955502 1326559.26 5328 shows

MTC2 - 77059/850038 763848.70  6011 shows

One has to expect Monday evening to be weaker plus it being a workday in Canada. but who knows with WOM movies. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Yes. I was out mostly today. Tried running it in between and I ended up deleting the wrong file 🙂

Monday PS looks strong

One has to expect Monday evening to be weaker plus it being a workday in Canada. but who knows with WOM movies. 

You’re a gem keyser. One question, is this about 60 mins later as post time would suggest?

On 9/4/2021 at 9:25 PM, keysersoze123 said:

not 2 hours. For you I tried to check again its at 119783/1071142 1583143.26 and 75986/918862 791530.04. Still down mid teens at MTC1 and 23% at MTC2. Let us see if it makes up tomorrow with walkups. 

36 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Yes. I was out mostly today. Tried running it in between and I ended up deleting the wrong file 🙂

Monday PS looks strong

Assuming a ~60 min diff, I would estimate the 24h comp for Mon PS at 

MTC1 1293000 (-18%)

MTC 740000 (-6%)  

Weighted combination ~2115000 (-15%)

Being, I hope, conservative when it comes to the time adjustment.

This is absolutely insano, well above my expectations (which as we all know have been high all weekend, though more high-realistic than high-overly optimistic). Even if PSm flat, ~19.6 from a 23 Sun, and I think it will increase ranging from a little to a lot. Personally targeting 20+ for 96ish 4day. 

PS. Also a CAN holiday, think they will hold better than MTCs since:

generally hold better Sun, holiday Mon is Sun-like

more spillover, due to more capacity limits and stronger relative interest from Simu and Chinese/Asian population

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 2

For what it’s worth, it’s only 10AM and my 12:10 and 1:40 at the local theater are already at 75%, and the other shows for today definitely are all 25% or higher. (Aka all of the middle “good seats” are sold out, but plenty of room upfront.)

• Like 2

Early Monday, Labor Day and SC dominating everything – of course the new releases don't get much attention yet.

Malignant counted today at 10am EST for Friday:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 33 (4 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
3 (2 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): no showtimes so far
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 0 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
3 (3 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 13 (2 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 48 (2 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 6 theaters: 100.

Comps (all counted on Monday for Friday): Old had 150 sold tickets in 7 theaters,
Crawl had 87 in 6 theaters,
The Conjuring 3 had 641
in 7 theaters

and The Night House had 24 in 5 theaters.

The Forever Purge had in 7 theaters 104 sold tickets on Monday for Thursday.
I would say that's quite ok so far.

The Card Counter had 23 sold tickets in 3 theaters for Friday and Show Me the Father had 4 also in 3 theaters and also for Friday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, el sid said:

Early Monday, Labor Day and SC dominating everything – of course the new releases don't get much attention yet.

Malignant counted today at 10am EST for Friday:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 33 (4 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
3 (2 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): no showtimes so far
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 0 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11):
3 (3 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 13 (2 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 48 (2 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 6 theaters: 100.

Comps (all counted on Monday for Friday): Old had 150 sold tickets in 7 theaters,
Crawl had 87 in 6 theaters,
The Conjuring 3 had 641
in 7 theaters

and The Night House had 24 in 5 theaters.

The Forever Purge had in 7 theaters 104 sold tickets on Monday for Thursday.
I would say that's quite ok so far.

Looks better than I feared. I guess the movie could have weak increases over the next few days and still do really bad, but at least the James Wan's name seems to be helping it a bit right now.

• Like 1

Dear Evan Hansen tickets are about to go on sale and it looks like it is getting PLF screens that weekend (plus a one night live Q&A simulcast that Thursday night). Looks like that'll be what blocks Shang-Chi from getting the biggest auditoriums for longer than three weeks especially now that the release schedule is evened out following Venom's move-up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Dear Evan Hansen tickets are about to go on sale and it looks like it is getting PLF screens that weekend (plus a one night live Q&A simulcast that Thursday night). Looks like that'll be what blocks Shang-Chi from getting the biggest auditoriums for longer than three weeks especially now that the release schedule is evened out following Venom's move-up.

If theaters are already committing to PLF after Shang-Chi over performed this weekend, that should hopefully mean it's tracking in the high-teens/low-twenties if not higher

Edited by WrathOfHan

Malignant Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-4 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 38 29 5749 0.50%

Comp

0.041x of Conjuring 3 Monday Before Release (403.9K)

0.215x of Old Monday Before Release (322K)

1.450x of Reminiscence Monday Before Release (2.83M)

I will forgive this movie for the moment, if only because tonight's a holiday night, so people aren't thinking about buying movie tickets and junk. But this is still pretty concerning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

If theaters are already committing to PLF after Shang-Chi over performed this weekend, that should hopefully mean it's tracking in the high-teens/low-twenties if not higher

Also because Shang-Chi will be in its fourth weekend by the time it comes out and being a musical can be justified as PLF-worthy.