grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

As a sequel I doubt this manages to match the final week ramp up of SC, and might not get as much screening/positive press help in the week before. On the other hand, delta situation should be much better for it. Early (early!) read

9-11 -> 60-80

Edited by Legion of the Ten Crores

Venom 2 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 24 2151 1.12%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 34 2533 1.34%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST 6+ HOURS TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
131 131 22498 0.58% 15 118

AMCs sold 103
Cinemarks sold 18
Regals sold 10
Harkins 0

Suicide Squad comp(Several hours): 4.40M

Black Widow comp(7 hours): 2.89M

Nothing crazy so far. I never specified how long tickets had been on sale for SS in my data, but it shouldn't really matter for this early of a read. My first count for Shang-Chi was at 17 hours, so I'll do another update tonight.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, Menor said:

Maybe not since BW was summer, so it would make better use of that 5 PM than Venom of the 4 PM. Hard to say. 

Yeah, true. We’ll see what the keyser nums have to say for initial atp. Would be funny if they started 3 or 3:30 — the tiny runtime would get you a second showing with matinee pricing.

1 hour ago, Inceptionzq said:

Venom 2 Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 24 2151 1.12%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 34 2533 1.34%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST 6+ HOURS TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
131 131 22498 0.58% 15 118

AMCs sold 103
Cinemarks sold 18
Regals sold 10
Harkins 0

Suicide Squad comp(Several hours): 4.40M

Black Widow comp(7 hours): 2.89M

Nothing crazy so far. I never specified how long tickets had been on sale for SS in my data, but it shouldn't really matter for this early of a read. My first count for Shang-Chi was at 17 hours, so I'll do another update tonight.

Are you planning to do a Megaplex update today? Main reason I'm curious is because in MTC2 it seems like Friday is actually selling more tickets than Thursday, but I'm not sure if that's because MTC2 is showing an unusual amount of blocked/damaged seats, or if this one is actually shaping up that backloaded. Would be interested to see what the Th/Fri ratio at Megaplex is like. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Menor said:

Runtime will only help the OW as it allows theaters to squeeze in many shows. As for quality, it's impossible to say how the runtime would affect it. 

You'd think so but looking at my theater they allotted 2:40m on each screen between each show. :unsure:   Here come the ads. :lol:

Nothing much to speak off yet but it's starting off with almost double SC's seats and 9 screenings instead of 5

=12/2766  (8:30pm)

SC was = 33/1402 but that was at Midnight of the first day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Venom 2 MTC2 

Thursday

Showings: 3213

Seats Sold: 5272/520197 

Friday

Showings: 5087

Seats Sold: 5221/838958

Thursday finished about an hour before Friday (finished just now) since the run is much shorter. Thursday pace has really fallen (it probably is a couple of hundred higher in reality though since a few showings aren't returning data). 24-hr number should be significantly below SC. Friday on the other hand is looking quite strong but I'm not sure how much of it is the unusual amount of damaged/not-for-sale seats I'm seeing. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

51 minutes ago, Menor said:

Venom 2 MTC2 

Thursday

Showings: 3213

Seats Sold: 5272/520197 

Friday

Showings: 5087

Seats Sold: 5221/838958

Thursday finished about an hour before Friday (finished just now) since the run is much shorter. Thursday pace has really fallen (it probably is a couple of hundred higher in reality though since a few showings aren't returning data). 24-hr number should be significantly below SC. Friday on the other hand is looking quite strong but I'm not sure how much of it is the unusual amount of damaged/not-for-sale seats I'm seeing. 

We are going for 60M at best then. Shiiiit.

23 hours ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

Malignant Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 59 65 7964 0.82%

Total Shows Added Today: 21

Total Seats Added Today: 2,215

Total Seats Sold Today: 36

Comp

0.064x of Conjuring 3 Tuesday Before Release (632.9K)

0.342x of Old Tuesday Before Release (513K)

2.708x of Reminiscence Tuesday Before Release (1.84M)

So I screwed up on the Reminiscence comp, comping it with the total weekend instead of opening day. Oops! Either way...yeah, not much to write home about.

Malignant Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 68 130 8802 0.82%

Total Shows Added Today: 9

Total Seats Added Today: 838

Total Seats Sold Today: 65

Comp

0.086x of Conjuring 3 Wednesday Before Release (843.6K)

0.494x of Old Wednesday Before Release (741K)

4.062x of Reminiscence Wednesday Before Release (2.76M)

Okay, Venom time

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Menor said:

Runtime will only help the OW as it allows theaters to squeeze in many shows. As for quality, it's impossible to say how the runtime would affect it. 

I don't think so. Runtime only come in handy when demand is super big e.g. Endgame, TFA, etc.

For something like V2, which will do 60-70M, there are more than enough shows to watch it. Just having extra shows won't bring more audience but divide the existing ones in more shows.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't think so. Runtime only come in handy when demand is super big e.g. Endgame, TFA, etc.

For something like V2, which will do 60-70M, there are more than enough shows to watch it. Just having extra shows won't bring more audience but divide the existing ones in more shows.

I think that a vestige of the past and that you are right, now that loaded front weekend has been the norm for so long and the multiplex is the norm, they can give enough screens to not loose sales to almost anything I would imagine (outside the giant movies and giant peak new release time a la Christmas time maybe).

Back when most theater had a single screen it was really relevant.