grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

40 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

I get that Boomers are still cautious about jumping back in the pool, and yeah, it's a movie about rape, but man, looking at these Last Duel numbers is still pretty shocking to me. Great cast, great reviews, and a director that even casual moviegoers associate with quality, and it's trailing The Green Knight in pre-sales? Where did all the people who made Braveheart, Dances With Wolves, and Gladiator a smash go to? 🤔

Audiences today only care about superheroes and nostalgic IP. Disney only cares about movies that they can sell toys from, make sequels out of, make theme park rides out of, etc.

Last Duel is just in a sad, precarious situation.

1 hour ago, A Star is Orm said:

I get that Boomers are still cautious about jumping back in the pool, and yeah, it's a movie about rape, but man, looking at these Last Duel numbers is still pretty shocking to me. Great cast, great reviews, and a director that even casual moviegoers associate with quality, and it's trailing The Green Knight in pre-sales? Where did all the people who made Braveheart, Dances With Wolves, and Gladiator a smash go to? 🤔

Six feet under? On the surface, it's nothing like either of those movies. But if The Last Duel gets Dances With Wolves legs, it'll be fine... :unsure:

52 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

This is nothing like Gladiator though. If it were I would be there opening weekend. As it is, with this subject matter, I won't even bother streaming it. 

But they really, really hope people who liked Gladiator (and The Revenant!) will see TLD...

I really think the rape element turns off both women and men, if this had just been a fictional story about some dudes dueling for any other reason, it would be selling better.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Six feet under? On the surface, it's nothing like either of those movies. But The Last Duel gets Dances With Wolves legs, it'll be fine... :unsure:

Haha, I hope they're not six feet under, that's my generation! But you're right, TLD doesn't have the mythically heroic overtones that probably helped to sell the movies I mentioned, but it seems like they're all part of that 'blockbuster period piece' genre that goes back to David Lean and earlier.

Maybe everybody's just at home watching Six Feet Under?

Ridley Scott has made some of my favorite movies ever, but I will never spend money to see another one of his movies again. Not after Prometheus, Exodus, and Alien: Covenant.

Prometheus and Covenant are two of the absolute dumbest movies I've ever seen. The only reason anything happens in either of those movies is because someone makes an impossibly stupid decision and then doubles down on it. Some of the characters in the original Alien make some dumb decisions too, but that movie has so much more going for it: likable characters, great set design and creature design, an interesting original premise, etc. Prometheus has a bunch of stupid, hollow characters that are just waiting around to get killed. The plot absolutely makes zero sense from any perspective. And then, somehow, Covenant was worse in every way. Ridley Scott should honestly pay everyone who saw those movies pain and suffering settlements.

So if I do see The Last Duel it will be on cable television or a streaming service.

8 minutes ago, CJ Sarandos said:

We are in the middle of a pandemic and people don't wanna go back to theaters. Why would anyone pay to see The Last Duel?

It's too bad because it looks soooo good. Hopefully soon more people venture out to see the non Marvel stuff.

8 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Speaking as an Old, it looks gloomy and bleak and not really what I’m looking for in casual entertainment right now. And this coming from a formerly-huge Ridley Scott fan (I’ve cooled off in the last few years).

Yep, I’m a fan of Ridley Scott and pretty much everyone in the film (Jodie Comer, Adam Driver, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon), but every trailer I’ve seen for TLD just makes it look like a massively unappealing slog. I don’t even think it’s a case of “old people aren’t going”, it’s more just that the film is an incredibly hard sell based on the trailers and subject matter.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Val357 said:

I just have one question....

Where has this site been all my life???? I talk to my friends about how much a movie makes and they look at me like "why are you talking about that??"

I am at peace.

Story of my middle school life. 😖

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Plain Old Tele said:

Welcome! :lol: 

Thank you! I'm so glad I found you guys. I just hope things settle with the IATSE (ie. I hope the studios give them what they deserve so we can all move forward for everyone's benefit!) so we can enjoy the box office run for Spider-Man: No Way Home together. I'm not a Marvel superfan but following their box office results is veeeery fun. Haven't had something like that since the last Star Wars but Spidey seems even bigger than that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric Atreides said:

Story of my middle school life. 😖

Well I'm glad you found this place earlier in life. Had I found this site before kids I would be living, eating and breathing it. Just a fair warning that everyone here might get a liiiiiitle sick of me. 😂

• Like 1

First let's see if the walk-ups are really that bad for TLD.

I also think due to the trailer people could get the impression that this is a film which you better watch at home and if you don't like the story or tone you can just stop watching it.

By the way, the recently mentioned Braveheart is somehow still an uplifting film. Which is strange enough because in which film is the hero (and his wife) killed and it's still no film that brings you down. They did something right back then (with several films).

Edited by el sid
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

Haha, I hope they're not six feet under, that's my generation! But you're right, TLD doesn't have the mythically heroic overtones that probably helped to sell the movies I mentioned, but it seems like they're all part of that 'blockbuster period piece' genre that goes back to David Lean and earlier.

Maybe everybody's just at home watching Six Feet Under?

I was joking, Gladiator had broad appeal, even the teenagers who could get into a R-rated movie in 2001 aren't even 40 yet. I remember the ads set to Kid Rock (lol), selling the action in the gladiator ring. Maybe if Matt Damon and Adam Driver were dueling a tiger... The #MeToo premise and medieval era are a brutal box office combo.

7 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Speaking as an Old, it looks gloomy and bleak and not really what I’m looking for in casual entertainment right now. And this coming from a formerly-huge Ridley Scott fan (I’ve cooled off in the last few years).

Maybe that's why they're invoking The Revenant? It was cold and bleak and about revenge, and was a huge hit. Of course, it had Leo, maybe he could sell The Last Duel (but maybe not, one of his rare flops was in a Ridley Scott movie).

The $10m OW projections seem very optimistic...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Yes, a million times, yes...this should have kicked or sold off when Top Gun 2 kicked...no one wants this tone after 2020/2021 right now...at least not if they have to ALSO pay for it:)...

It's why its only hope is the AMC and Regal "see everything" subscribers, since they aren't putting out any funds to see it as an "extra, what the heck" weekend movie - expect those 2 sites to wildly overperform if anywhere does...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

HK MTC1

Previews(T-1) - 45437/249593 681318.05 1589 shows (+10496)

Friday(T-2)  - 72965/699592 1088501.39 4074 shows (+18381)

HK MTC1 Morning Update

Previews - 53699/251178 802026.61 1610 shows

Friday - 82071/701329 1221953.95 4088 shows

Its pacing nicely. Let us see how things move this evening. Friday sales are moving even faster. It has the showcount to do 300K+ admits at MTC1. Should be suffice for high teens at minimum(minus previews). Previews itself needs huge walkups for sure to hit 5m.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, Val357 said:

I just have one question....

Where has this site been all my life???? I talk to my friends about how much a movie makes and they look at me like "why are you talking about that??"

I am at peace.

Right there with you.  I don't post much.  I just come here to learn as much as I can about the box office and movies as I can.  Plus these people know what they are doing and talking about especially compared to other sites.  Or at least some do, some just act\talk like it.  But it's all useful and entertaining to me for the most part. 🙂

• Like 3