grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

16 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

NWH showtimes are popping up. Some AMCs had NWH tickets on sale yesterday in-person at kiosks, but it's been patched up. Previews begin at 3PM with the 2:39 runtime confirmed.

My Cinemarks have not booked the Thursday showings, but right now, they are starting with Spidey at 4 screens and 3 screens F/S/S...I'm personally not loving the initial set count.  It's a "normal" Marvel presale set (and even a little low at the one Cinemark, where it matches Eternals, which was also low), not a "we think this is going $200M" one...although hopefully it will see a bounce in screens as presales go along, which does happen at both.

For $200M, I want to see my Cinemarks at 6 screens (or more) each by opening Thursday...

Edited by TwoMisfits

On 11/23/2021 at 11:08 PM, Eric Madrigal said:

Sing 2 Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-29 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 50 659 9642 6.83%

Total Seats Sold Today: 131

Sing 2 Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-28 and Counting

TOTALS 0 50 816 9642 8.46%

Total Seats Sold Today: 157

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Eric Madrigal said:

These numbers looking really strong. Is Sing 2 not gonna drop like SLOP?

35 minutes ago, Eric Madrigal said:

That is really strong. Could end up #2 for the year at this rate. Only huge thing going against it is that kids pics have not done that great in this COVID era. So that is a huge mountain to climb. 

Am I gonna have to start tracking Sing 2?  😕 

*does a quick check of extra-early access showings*

Holy Forking Shirtballs!!!!! :o :o :o  

*quickly checks Dec*

Oh, good.  It's an All Day Opener with no previews, which l had forgotten.  I'm off the hook. :lol:

Still....

Sing 2 Sacramento Region Quick and Dirty Early Access numbers ONLY:

980/1580 [62.03% sold]  13 showings, 1 capped.

This is already at around 1/3rd of Ghostbusters: Afterlife's final total (3034 seats sold). 

It'll be far more kid friendly, sure, which will drive down the ATP.  And, sure, far in advance EA showings can be misleading (I vaguely recall that SLOP 2 had a fairly decent EA showing and look what happened to that).

Still, most impressive for only 13 showings.  More than a couple of them are down to the single row + scattering of seats here and there level.  If this has good WOM, could spread pretty quickly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sing 2 is having early screenings on Saturday across the country that are selling extremely well (it's already close to sold out in fairly big auditoriums at numerous locations around me). Obvious grain of salt but yeah, it's gonna do well. A total similar to The Secret Life of Pets 2 would be a win in this environment for family films.

Spider-Man is already posting shows throughout the holidays that are about to go on sale and a number of theaters are keeping it on their PLF screens throughout the holidays. Guessing it holds onto those while Matrix gets IMAX exclusively as part of a deal among studios.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Any idea how big Licorice Pizza will open this weekend? 4 theaters. It'll go higher than Cmon Cmon of course (134k in 5 theaters for 26.8k PTA). But there hasn't been a platform like this since pre-pandemic.

From what I'm seeing, I'd say a 30-35k PTA for a 120-140k weekend. My show on Sunday is about 75% full with just the first two rows left. The theater it's playing at in LA has roughly 1,000 seats, which probably equals the capacity of the three NYC theaters per show, so maybe the PTA goes a bit higher.

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Any idea how big Licorice Pizza will open this weekend? 4 theaters. It'll go higher than Cmon Cmon of course (134k in 5 theaters for 26.8k PTA). But there hasn't been a platform like this since pre-pandemic.

Looking at past averages for Thanksgiving weekend Oscar contender specialty openers, Lion did $30K from 4 theaters while The Danish Girl did $46K from 4 theaters. Hopefully numbers closer to the latter than to the former but either would be acceptable and a best for the pandemic era, since the $100K+ averages that were posted by the likes of Call Me by Your Name or The Favourite are probably too much of a challenge of coming close to in this environment.

15 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

FYI already 2K+ showings at mtc1 for spidey. What time is PS starting?

Saw a rumor it was 00:01 eastern, but pretty skeptical of the source. Something like 09:00 eastern would be more typical iirc.

31 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

FYI already 2K+ showings at mtc1 for spidey. What time is PS starting?

15 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

Saw a rumor it was 00:01 eastern, but pretty skeptical of the source. Something like 09:00 eastern would be more typical iirc.

It hasn't been publicly announced yet (IIRC @Inceptionzq thinks what Megaplex had was just a placeholder).  A quick check of Twitter has theater chains in both the US and UK mum on the matter:

====

Maybe if we ask him very nicely, @EmpireCity could give us a hint or two.  Especially if we promise not to tell anyone else. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos