grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

7 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Megaplex now says 00:01 MT FWIW

Which would be 11pm Pacific Sun Night/2am Eastern Mon Morning, which makes it even more likely it is a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ placeholder than an actual time.

Not that I'd complain about 11pm Pacific. :ph34r:  Just that I don't think it's particularly likely.

Just now, Inceptionzq said:

Yeah I still think it’s a placeholder. Especially because I don’t know why they’d center the midnight on MT

Only thing it could possibly be is a universal ticket rollout, or at least a combined DOM/UK one.  That'd be 7am UK time, but even then one might think they'd go for 8am or 6am if they wanted to anchor it to something sensible in the UK.

Midnight Pacific almost makes sense on a semi-universal rollout, as that'd be 8am London Time/7pm Sydney Time.  But why even have a universal rollout and instead just time it for every country.

I mean, crazier things have happened, so I won't completely discount it.  Ain't running to Vegas to place a bet on it, either. ;)

23 hours ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

Day Movie Area Theaters Shows Total Seats Total Sold New Sales % Sold
T-3 Sing 2 (11/27) Jacksonville 3 3 295 152 33 51.53%
    Phoenix 5 5 764 200 28 26.18%
    Raleigh 5 5 639 312 42 48.83%
  Sing 2 (11/27) Total   13 13 1,698 664 103 39.10%

These 13 shows just keep chugging along.  I'm currently seeing 1,129 theaters participating in the early access shows which means we could get a pretty significant number if it's reported.  I'd be interested to see some MTC sales for these as we get closer.

Day Movie Area Theaters Shows Total Seats Total Sold New Sales % Sold
T-2 Sing 2 (11/27) Jacksonville 3 3 295 188 36 63.73%
    Phoenix 5 5 764 230 30 30.10%
    Raleigh 5 5 639 335 23 52.43%
  Sing 2 (11/27) Total   13 13 1,698 753 89 44.35%

Could (should?) break 50% sold today in my 13 showings.  It just passed Encanto's last previews update (an hour before first showings).   I haven't put out a prediction yet, but knowing there are over 1k showings for early access, I could see this breaking 3m if it's performing this well everywhere.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

My Cinemarks have not booked the Thursday showings, but right now, they are starting with Spidey at 4 screens and 3 screens F/S/S...I'm personally not loving the initial set count.  It's a "normal" Marvel presale set (and even a little low at the one Cinemark, where it matches Eternals, which was also low), not a "we think this is going $200M" one...although hopefully it will see a bounce in screens as presales go along, which does happen at both.

For $200M, I want to see my Cinemarks at 6 screens (or more) each by opening Thursday...

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that at all.  Theaters won't get final bookings until the week of release so at first jump, they just sell to the biggest/best screens/auditoriums they have and see where it goes from there.  That's part of the process for presales, gauging interest for how many prints they can get.

Not to mention all the 'steals' NWH will take from other movies, which I'm guessing will be like an extra 3-5 shows depending on the theater.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

These numbers looking really strong. Is Sing 2 not gonna drop like SLOP?

Ohh. So you are adding Early Access to the numbers @Eric Madrigal. Seems not necessary at all considering almost a month difference between two.

Make sense for having those high sales for shows in 2 days vs 29 days. 

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Ohh. So you are adding Early Access to the numbers @Eric Madrigal. Seems not necessary at all considering almost a month difference between two.

Make sense for having those high sales for shows in 2 days vs 29 days. 

I'm assuming it will all get rolled together anyways.

• Like 1

Sony and the chains themselves confirmed that tickets go on sale at midnight on the 29th for Latin America. Seeing how linear the marketing has been so far with US I do believe they're planning on launching as soon as the day begins.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 4

Toronto/Greater Toronto Area, Ontario

Friday nov 26

House of Gucci (taken Thurs Nov 25)

26 theatres

115 shows

Total Sold 2132

Total Remaining 27083

total seats 29215

percentage 7.3 percent

Resident Evil Welcome to Raccoon City

22 Theatres

84 shows

Total Sold 130

Total remaining 18781

Total Seats 18920

Percentage .73 (no that's not a missed decimal place)

Wow....Greater Toronto area wanting nothing to do it seems for Resident Evil one day before official opening day. I have a feeling this movie may not last long in Toronto-I was typing a whole lot of zeros under the "sold" category. Wow.

Gucci seeming to be decently solid-think sales will pick up more with WOM, though 7.3 for an 80s era drama is pretty decent I think.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Inceptionzq said:

24 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

Okay, that source seems a little more reliable. So tickets on sale Sunday for 3/4 of the time zones 😛 

inb4 it's 12:01 in each timezone:ph34r:

(also: inb4 theater websites don't realize that distinction and turn on the spigot at midnight EST :ph34r:)

So, my Regals followed my Cinemarks and are not giving Spidey a great early presale set clearout, nor are they going way early/late for showings Thurs/Fri...so I gotta change my expectations down under $200M/weekend...I just don't see seats there for a sky high result, although I'm not reducing as much as the sets would indicate I should b/c I still thik they'll expand, but I don't think they'll blow up into the old 32+ Friday showings/theater that some of the sky high results got...

Edited by TwoMisfits

14 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Sorry for the late response, but Sony simply gave guidance to put it on sale on Monday at any time, and naturally most are choosing to put it on sale at midnight.  

omg, I sure hope that doesn't mean local time in each time zone in the US as that could indeed cause some... hilarity. I remember when TFA tickets were supposed to go on sale at halftime of an MNF game and various ticket outlets just started selling them at the beginning of MNF telecast (5pm Pacific).  Led to all sorts of fun.

Doesn't matter all that much to me, as I'm a night-owl any way. But could cause some confusion unless Sony just throws up their hands and says "Okay, fine.  Go for midnight Eastern all across the US, see if we care."

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1