grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 hour ago, el sid said:

Out of curiosity I counted today House of Gucci and Resident Evil but I didn't dare to post it before the Thursday reports because my Wednesday comps for Gucci were much higher than the actual number (even if Soho had previews, 2.9M true Wednesday was the worst case scenario). And I didn't want to lift expectations again without a reason. But with that Thursday number it's clear that our reports here that House of Gucci is at least slightly overperforming were right ;).

Resident Evil had today at 9am EST for today 195 sold tickets in 6 theaters.
For comparison: It had 262 sold tickets on Monday for Tuesday

and 200 sold tickets on Tuesday for Wednesday.
Not good. I saw several parts of the series in theaters and overall liked them and therefore I'm not happy to say that but the new projections of around 5M 3-day OW seems to be right judging from my few theaters.

House of Gucci had today at 9am EST for today 1.048 sold tickets in 7 theaters.
For comparison: HoG has on Monday for Tuesday 567 sold tickets 
and on Tuesday for Wednesday 548 sold tickets. 
It had a jump of 32% from Monday to Tuesday, let's say it had the same jump till Wednesday, that would have been 723 sold tickets for 2.9M on Wednesday. So if that presales "math" is not completely wrong, HoG should at least reach 4M+ true Friday.
Another comp could be TSS which had also on Friday at the same time for Friday 2.095 sold tickets in 7 theaters, would also be 4M+ without HBO Max. And WOM of HoG is good as it seems, could also help.

This is also a test for future years and it's my first Thanksgiving counting. First we had Pulse, then my counting was broken and last year we already had the Covid curse...

I was seeing both in Toronto the days leading up. No one was biting on Res Evil, but Gucci was getting some solid consistent day to day sales up here.

Now Im casting an eye on the upcoming slate of movies hitting Dec, and my eyes are twitching at how many counts Ill be doing for those films. I might just cry....

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 10:56 PM, Eric Madrigal said:

Sing 2 Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-27 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 50 990 9642 10.27%

Total Seats Sold Today: 174

Before folks ask, 961 of those tickets are for the Early Access shows this Saturday

Sing 2 Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-26 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 50 1235 9642 12.81%

Total Seats Sold Today: 245

1,206 tickets are the Early Access shows tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Porthos said:

Sing 2 Sacramento Region Quick and Dirty Early Access numbers ONLY:

1078/1580 [68.23% sold] [+98 tickets] 13 showings, 1 capped.

Sing 2 Sacramento Region Quick and Dirty Early Access numbers ONLY:

1213/1580 [76.77% sold] [+135 tickets] 13 showings, 1 capped.

====

This is now at about 50% of the final numbers locally for The Suicide Squad (1213 vs 2352).  Do think TSS underperformed here and there will be a radical difference between a kid-friendly, if not kid-centric, flick and an R-rated CBM.  Still, the G:A comp right now is around 40% (39.98%) and that should be closer, even though there'll still be a lower ATP due to more kids tickets being sold.

Even so, maybe 1.5m from these early access showings? Not sure how representative Sacto is to the number of EA showings in a given market.

FWIW, G:A without any adjustments points to 1.8m right now, with one day to go.  On the other hand, not a whole lot of seats left locally, so can't go up much unless theaters are allowed to add another showing like was mentioned by @katnisscinnaplex.  Then, as said, comp has to be lowered somewhat, I reckon.  

Still, as crowded auditoriums as I've seen then since the Before Time, which says something, I reckon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2021 at 7:39 AM, katnisscinnaplex said:

Day Movie Area Theaters Shows Total Seats Total Sold New Sales % Sold
T-1 Sing 2 (11/27) Jacksonville 3 3 295 208 20 70.51%
    Phoenix 5 6 805 312 82 38.76%
    Raleigh 5 5 639 434 99 67.92%
  Sing 2 (11/27) Total   13 14 1,739 954 201 54.86%

Today marked the first theater to add a second showing, and yet it still broke 50% sales.  I thought Paw Patrol was crazy with 776 sales at T-1, but that was for a full day starting at 11am (78 shows).  Ghostbusters had just broken 1400 in 142 shows at this update.

Day Movie Area Theaters Shows Total Seats Total Sold New Sales % Sold
T-0 Sing 2 (11/27) Jacksonville 3 3 295 225 17 76.27%
    Phoenix 5 6 805 473 161 58.76%
    Raleigh 5 6 757 498 64 65.79%
  Sing 2 (11/27) Total   13 15 1,857 1,196 242 64.40%

Didn't quite get to Paw Patrol's 1,404 sales, but I think I can give it a pass with less than 1/5th of the shows.  I won't be able to do a one hour update, but I just looked at total shows and it's up to 1,216 (from 1,140 yesterday morning.  Maybe they keep adding through the day?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sing 2 Early shows

MTC1 - 30347/46309 398667.23 340 shows

MTC2 - 14427/27323 162949.75 224 shows

I did see 72 more shows added at MTC1 and so final show count will be higher than what @katnisscinnaplex posted previously. Definitely thinking this will go above 1m. Just to reiterate this being saturday will ensure lower MTC ratio and also reduce the overall $ value by 15% as this is kids movie. Definitely strongest among all early shows seen so far in terms of tickets sold. Though Bond would probably see higher in $ value as it was all Imax. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Just to reiterate this being saturday will ensure lower MTC ratio and also reduce the overall $ value by 15% as this is kids movie.

As I mentioned in previous comment, using ratios won't serve the cause much as previews are very limited.

Per Show Average can be a good measure.

We will have 564 MTC 1 & 2 shows, 27 Harkins, probably 25+ Megaplex & Drafthouse.

Harkins looks surely over $1.2k+ per show.

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

As I mentioned in previous comment, using ratios won't serve the cause much as previews are very limited.

We will have 564 MTC 1 & 2 shows, 27 Harkins, probably 25+ Megaplex & Drafthouse.

I anecdotally looked at multiple MTC3 theaters and they are near sellouts as well. NYC  kids tickets cost 14.40. That is why I said MTC ratio will be lower than for Thursday previews. I am thinking 40% ratio for now. Let us see where it ends up. Shows seem to be at 5PM. 

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Problem with that is, I would have to figure out a per ticket average and that is beyond my meager skills. So for things like this, an inferior type comp will have to do.

9 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Sing 2 Early shows

MTC1 - 30347/46309 398667.23 340 shows

MTC2 - 14427/27323 162949.75 224 shows

Sing 2 Early Shows Final

MTC1 - 37814/50789 492312.56 379 shows

MTC2 - 22480/28093 250534.00 227 shows

I would say 1.4m early gross for Sing 2. That is really good considering limited shows. It sold more tickets than Encanto previews That played in 900 more shows :-) at MTC1. This will easily be the biggest kid flick for the year. Can it really break out and finish #2 for the year. Its release is in optimal date and should have great run over holidays. On negative side is still a big chunk of families are waiting for these movies to hit streaming. So only time will tell. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I anecdotally looked at multiple MTC3 theaters and they are near sellouts as well. NYC  kids tickets cost 14.40. That is why I said MTC ratio will be lower than for Thursday previews. I am thinking 40% ratio for now. Let us see where it ends up. Shows seem to be at 5PM. 

Yeah sure may be, but I am not gonna look/use at % wise numbers, and use manual estimation for the cinemas we don't get.

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

Problem with that is, I would have to figure out a per ticket average and that is beyond my meager skills. So for things like this, an inferior type comp will have to do.

Per shows admits will work fine enough, as first target will be to have how it is doing, more importantly in non MTC 1 & 2 cinemas, since we already has those. 

Like my Harkins cinemas will probably have 120 admits per show.

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Per shows admits will work fine enough, as first target will be to have how it is doing, more importantly in non MTC 1 & 2 cinemas, since we already has those. 

Like my Harkins cinemas will probably have 120 admits per show.

Well it's academic in this case as I was busy and forgot to take the last sample before all the 5pm shows closed up shops.  Oops.

(or rather, I remembered at 5:13 and couldn't grab them in time before the window closed at 5:15). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Well it's academic in this case as I was busy and forgot to take the last sample before all the 5pm shows closed up shops.  Oops.

(or rather, I remembered at 5:13 and couldn't grab them in time before the window closed at 5:15). 

Ohh this was today. I thought Sat was tomorrow. Not a worry though because I have showtimes saved on Opera and Harkins keep them for a day.

Both MTC 1 & 2 had 100 person per show. I was thinking to track Cineplex but those are gone now.

• Like 2