grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Gonna harsh people's buzz ever so slightly when it comes to probable server crashes in the US.

The fact of the matter is is that there hasn't been a film with this level of interest at the beginning of pre-sales since TROS.  Have Fandango, Regal, AMC, Cinemark, and all the rest set up enough server capacity to handle a surge?  I presume Fandango's "waiting room" tech still works with their new front end, but what level of surge triggers it?

Like, if they currently only have server capacity to handle .75 TROS, just crashing Fandango doesn't tell us everything, except, yep, "not enough server capacity".

If this was Ye Old Olden Days where there were multiple recent instances of mega blockbusters we could have more of a sense of the wave before hard numbers started coming in.  But here?  Uncharted territory.

This isn't to say that if Fandango et all crash that it isn't Hulk Smashing out there.  Likely is.  Just that... Keep in possible current server capacity in mind iz all I am sayin'. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Gonna harsh people's buzz ever so slightly when it comes to probable server crashes in the US.

The fact of the matter is is that there hasn't been a film with this level of interest at the beginning of pre-sales since TROS.  Have Fandango, Regal, AMC, Cinemark, and all the rest set up enough server capacity to handle a surge?  I presume Fandango's "waiting room" tech still works with their new front end, but what level of surge triggers it?

Like, if they currently only have server capacity to handle .75 TROS, just crashing Fandango doesn't tell us everything, except, yep, "not enough server capacity".

If this was Ye Old Olden Days where there were multiple recent instances of mega blockbusters we could have more of a sense of the wave before hard numbers started coming in.  But here?  Uncharted territory.

This isn't to say that if Fandango et all crash that it isn't Hulk Smashing out there.  Likely is.  Just that... Keep in possible current server capacity in mind iz all I am sayin'. 

I don't expect anything to crash domestically, especially with the spread out release time they seem to be doing coupled with the fact it's dropping at midnight (or very late on Sunday). 

With that said though....

crowd smoking GIF by South Park

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I don't expect anything to crash domestically, especially with the spread out release time they seem to be doing coupled with the fact it's dropping at midnight (or very late on Sunday). 

With that said though....

crowd smoking GIF by South Park

Latest I heard from EC is all of the floodgates being opened up at 12:01am EST, which presumably means that they'll go on sale at 9:01pm PST.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Latest I heard from EC is all of the floodgates being opened up at 12:01am EST, which presumably means that they'll go on sale at 9:01pm PST.

Yea but officially there isn't a specific time except "Monday" so it's theoretically possible some may wait (although I know this isn't super likely).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Sony has been pushing Monday really hard in the marketing though, so I won't be surprised if a lot of people don't check until the morning. We'll see. I don't really understand why they are dropping tickets at such an unusual time rather than just in the morning. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Sony has been pushing Monday really hard in the marketing though, so I won't be surprised if a lot of people don't check until the morning. We'll see. I don't really understand why they are dropping tickets at such an unusual time rather than just in the morning. 

Coz they want me to be able to get seat maps before showtimes sell out, and since they know I sleep in on the West Coast, they're doing me a solid.

Thanks, Sony.  Appreciate it. 👍

Spoiler

And not giving it much thought/allows a more spread out ticket buy than an 8am Eastern crush.

I like my theory better. :lol: 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Coz they want me to be able to get seat maps before showtimes sell out, and since they know I sleep in on the West Coast, they're doing me a solid.

Thanks, Sony.  Appreciate it. 👍

Reveal hidden contents

Thing is though, if I'm Sony I want a concentrated rush for tickets. If the sites crash, then that just creates more buzz and more demand for tickets, which becomes contagious. 

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

Thing is though, if I'm Sony I want a concentrated rush for tickets. If the sites crash, then that just creates more buzz and more demand for tickets, which becomes contagious. 

If Sony wanted maximum buzz and awareness, there's a couple of other things they could be doing with marketing (*cough* *cough*), and yet, here we are.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Spamming This Here, Since Tomorrow is the BIG DAY:

Predictions for PREVIEWS lock tonight -- cause Tickets are on sale tomorrow -- the deadline for FINAL predictions is December 13!

• Like 1