grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

NWH Alpha Update

Xmas day finished with 527,206 tickets sold off of 269,457 presales.  This was comfortably the highest % of walkups thus far for NWH.  Not sure I'd expect the same splits for Sunday.

Sunday - SM:NWH

Theaters - 432

Showings - 4,773

Sold - 271,484

Total - 819,430

ATP - $13.57

Edited by ZackM
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ZackM said:

NWH Alpha Update

Xmas day finished with 527,206 tickets sold off of 269,457 presales.  This was comfortably the highest % of walkups thus far for NWH.  Not sure I'd expect the same splits for Sunday.

Sunday - SM:NWH

Theaters - 432

Showings - 4,773

Sold - 271,484

Total - 819,430

ATP - $13.57

That was very good. I think its finishing around 5% below yesterday. late shows would be slightly worse compared to yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, GoblinXXR said:

Much to my surprise, Sunday presales are stronger than Saturday (and taken 23 hours later instead of a full 24). Could Sunday actually be bigger than Saturday since a lot of people are still off Monday? Anything better than a 10% drop is a bonus in my book. 

Spider-Man: No Way Home Current Number, 24 Screen Theater, 8PM - December 25, 2021

Counting for Sunday - December 26, 2021

26 show times, 839 tickets sold 

Comp to NWH 2nd Saturday

+8.96% with no adjustment

This will be my last count for NWH :) Unless Monday becomes unusually walkup heavy compared to the past few days, I believe Monday will drop at least 30% from Sunday and perhaps closer to 40%.  

Spider-Man: No Way Home Current Number, 24 Screen Theater, 8PM - December 26, 2021

Counting for Monday - December 27, 2021

28 show times, 432 tickets sold 

Comp to NWH 2nd Sunday

-48.51% with no adjustment

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Well, your location has been oddly accurate so far, and that is straight disastrous. Could struggle to hit 20, I will assuredly be able to give Coolio that genuine meltdown. What a sad postOW run, at least if other stuff tanks we’ll know it was omicron — which should be resolved pretty soon. And I guess we would count our blessings that the omicron trajectory wasn’t shifted 7 days up or we would have missed the dec ow record.

1 minute ago, Product Driven Legion said:

Well, your location has been oddly accurate so far, and that is straight disastrous. Could struggle to hit 20, I will assuredly be able to give Coolio that genuine meltdown. What a sad postOW run, at least if other stuff tanks we’ll know it was omicron — which should be resolved pretty soon. And I guess we would count our blessings that the omicron trajectory wasn’t shifted 7 days up or we would have missed the dec ow record.

Yea it's not looking good. Maybe it'll surprise us but I could even see it going below $18M tomorrow. Beating BP may indeed be in jeopardy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Yea it's not looking good. Maybe it'll surprise us but I could even see it going below $18M tomorrow. Beating BP may indeed be in jeopardy. 

Yeah I’m holding out for a PSm miracle and/or sudden unrepresentativeness miracle, but don’t see too much reason rationally to expect either.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 12:35 PM, Eric Smith said:

- Grosses will be depressed. 350 is the new 500, 250 is the new 400, etc. There will be one or two NWH/Avatar 2-esque juggernauts that will pop up into the 400-700 range, but they won’t be anywhere near as common as they were back in 2015-19. 

10 hours ago, Eric Smith said:

I know Omicron's a big factor to all this, but I also think the big issue for the NWH titles, once again, is that we still don't have a vast chunk of the non 18-34 demos heading out to theaters. Sing 2 is reliant on families, who have likely been way more conditioned with PVOD than other demographics, and stuff like West Side is reliant on 45+ who just aren't as eager. Even NWH was still about 62% 18-34 for its OW, an insane skew. 29% of FFH was 18-24 by comparison. Even if you want to factor in 25-34 there, that's still likely an absurdly smaller percentage.

And seeing as how families and older auds are the ones who supply good legs...yeah, that's going to impact NWH as well. And as I always say, who knows if they'll ever come back? I already talked about this a couple days ago, but I think (and I know I might be wrong, don't even bother "Hahaing" me or giving me a lecture) that grosses will be depressed to account for these missing demos. 350 is the new 500 and whatnot.

tea-gif-12.gif?ssl=1

23 hours ago, Eric Smith said:

Scream Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-19 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 27 238 6254 3.81%

Total Seats Sold Today: 0

Comp

1.144x of A Quiet Place Part II Thu+Fri T-19 (22.16M)

4.958x of The Conjuring 3 T-19 (48.62M)

Scream Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-18 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 27 243 6254 3.89%

Total Seats Sold Today: 5

Comp

1.012x of A Quiet Place Part II Thu+Fri T-18 (19.61M)

4.860x of The Conjuring 3 T-18 (47.65M)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Ontario hasn't started selling SCREAM tickets yet, so I took a look at the two closest Regal's in the US... 

REGAL Stadium 12 

Thursday:

7:00pm: 10/ 246 seats sold

REGAL Destiny (Syracuse)

Thursday:

RPX:

7:00pm: 4/313 seats sold

4DX:

8:00pm: 0/129 seats sold

Standard:

7:30pm: 0/284

So yeah... this pretty disappointing as a huge SCREAM fan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just took a look at the SCREAM pre sales (see above) and they are pretty bad...

With the huge marketing effort Paramount has put in, I was expecting MUCH better

As a big Scream buff, I was really hoping to see at least Halloween Kills number

What do you think we are going to see for OW? $20-30 mill?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

Just took a look at the SCREAM pre sales (see above) and they are pretty bad...

With the huge marketing effort Paramount has put in, I was expecting MUCH better

As a big Scream buff, I was really hoping to see at least Halloween Kills number

What do you think we are going to see for OW? $20-30 mill?

Horror movies have notoriously low presales compared to any other genre. Right now I'm thinking something in the $15-20M range. I don't see much interest for this, tbh. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Product Driven Legion said:

FWIW @RiddlerXXR  I get about 20-21.5 from the horizontal comp and maybe 18-19.5 from vertical, so call it like 19.7 with wide error bars.

Yea I don't see it coming in -48% from today as my presales comp would indicate but I am on the sub-20 train for tomorrow. Maybe a repeat of Friday. 

Yeah, Scream's not really a film that will get much in the way of sales until the last few days of release, so it's best to not think too much of it, at least this far out. Though unless Omicron really is still rearing its ugly head by MLK weekend (not impossible granted), I'm confused at the low predictions for its opening. I doubt it'll open to anything huge, but hey...nostalgia sells.