grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That's rough for Only the Brave. Find it hard to fault the movie though, they weren't anticipating the California wildfires to occur. Shame though, since it seems like a really good movie.

There's a mention of a philanthropic component for OTB with the "Granite Mountain Fund.". Seems like a great aspect but I haven't heard anything about it.  They could get a lot of interest with that.

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

6-7M for OTB is hardly surprising given the muted presales on Fandango. Let the record show that Sony films with TCs lower than the high-2000s tend to bomb.

Personally would be pretty surprised if it makes less than 10M, but definitely not surprised by low presales

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

6-7M for OTB is hardly surprising given the muted presales on Fandango. Let the record show that Sony films with TCs lower than the high-2000s tend to bomb.

It seems more like a dad movie. Those numbers are too low i think.  will be very surprised if it does under 10M

On 10/11/2017 at 11:41 AM, TwoMisfits said:

Here's my 1st local set...

NEW 

Happy Death Day (1 - biggest screen)

Foreigner (1 - average screen)

Foreign Film (RGG2) (1 - smallest screen - this is a special event with cheaper tickets even though it's booked all week)

Returning

Blade Runner (2)

MLP (1)

The Mountain Between Us (1)

American Made (1)

Judwaa 2 (1)

Kingsman (1)

Ninjago (1)

It (1)

Gone 

Flatliners, Chef, 2 Foreign Films

1st local decided to set their schedule late...it totally loaded up on foreign films and chucked holdovers, so I guess their recent strategy of going to these for a week has paid off way more than keeping low performing American films...

NEW

Boo Madea (1)

Geostorm (1 - 1/2 2d, 1/2 3d)

Only the Brave (1)

Golmall Again (1)

Mersall (1)

Raja The Great (1)

Secret Superstar (1)

Returning

Happy Death Day (1)

The Foreigner (1)

Blade Runner 2049 (1)

Lego Ninjago (1)

Kingsman (1/2)

It (1/2 - surprising - this is down to 2 shows/day at both locals)

Gone

My Little Pony, The Mountain Between Us, American Made, Judwaa 2, RGG2 (foreign film) 

I think Jigsaw is probably gonna behave like Rings. Poor domestic numbers and perhaps a better performance overseas.

Marketing has been crappy so far. The first and only trailer was released almost 4 months ago. Nowe we just get some TV spots. Not sure about tracking. How is it performing so far?

2nd local stayed more traditional...has split SO MANY screens on holdovers, with the animated with 3 showings and the adult fare 2...4-6 of those movies will probably be gone by next week...

New

Boo Madea (2)

Geostorm (1 - 1/2 2d, 1/2 3d)

Only The Brave (1)

The Snowman (1)

Returning

Happy Death Day (1)

Marshall (1)

The Foreigner (1)

Blade Runner 2049 (1)

My Little Pony (1/2)

Lego Ninjago (1/2)

The Mountain Between Us (1/2)

American Made (1/2)

Kingsman (1/2)

It (1/2)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think Jigsaw is probably gonna behave like Rings. Poor domestic numbers and perhaps a better performance overseas.

Marketing has been crappy so far. The first and only trailer was released almost 4 months ago. Nowe we just get some TV spots. Not sure about tracking. How is it performing so far?

Lionsgate not even playing up the "If it's Halloween, it must be Saw" angle they did with the series when it was at its peak.

24 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Lionsgate not even playing up the "If it's Halloween, it must be Saw" angle they did with the series when it was at its peak.

I think the trailer says something like" take back the Halloween" or something like that. That being said, yeah, marketing has been cheap. I'm a huge Saw fan, BUT Saw 3D was a piece of crap. If Jigsaw ends up being a better movie, I'll be already happy with that.

Any prediction for Jigsaw next week?

13 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think the trailer says something like" take back the Halloween" or something like that. That being said, yeah, marketing has been cheap. I'm a huge Saw fan, BUT Saw 3D was a piece of crap. If Jigsaw ends up being a better movie, I'll be already happy with that.

I doubt it does better than Saw VI (the lowest-grossing in the series by far if the 3D angle hadn't boosted the grosses for the "final" one).

25 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'll be surprised if it does more than $10 million to be honest. 

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I doubt it does better than Saw VI (the lowest-grossing in the series by far if the 3D angle hadn't boosted the grosses for the "final" one).

That makes sense. Saw VI was a fine sequel, but it paid the price for coming after the weak Saw 5. Saw 3D was terrible.

If Jigsaw flops and is indeed the last movie in the series, I hope it ends on a high note. That being said, I predict something between Saw VI and Rings. Let's see.