grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

What's up with those super high predictions for Jigsaw?

I mean, I wouldn't be bothered but I was thinking that even $10m was questionable.

I'm getting the feeling this will be a mini-Scream 4. Expectations/tracking back when that came out hinted at big numbers and it ended up making less in total than what was expected to be its opening weekend.

Edited by filmlover

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm getting the feeling this will be a mini-Scream 4. Expectations/tracking back when that came out hinted at big numbers and it ended up making less in total than what was expected to be its opening weekend.

Blair witch 2016 ?

99% of BOT regarding Jigsaw:

Jigsaw sells well on Pulse Monday: "Nah, still gonna bomb" (tbf there was the Deep Wang update)

Jigsaw hits second on Pulse this morning: "Nah, still gonna bomb"

Jigsaw hits third on Pulse while JL tickets go on sale: "Nah, still gonna bomb"

Jigsaw tracking indicates an 18M+ opening from multiple outlets: "Nah, still gonna bomb"

I'm not even looking forward to the damn movie, but the amount of pessimism on here is making me root for it.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Jigsaw sells well on Pulse Monday: "Nah, still gonna bomb" (tbf there was the Deep Wang update)

Jigsaw tracking indicates an 18M+ opening from multiple outlets: "Nah, still gonna bomb"

I'm not even looking forward to the damn movie, but the amount of pessimism on here is making me root for it.

I agree. Jigsaw has a 10 million budget ( if th Variety report is true ). Besides, movie has nothing to prove. This is the 8th movie of the series. 

That being said i can't wait for it. :)

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Agreed..people going with their gut over data.  But it has been pulsing strong all day..anytime I look it is at least 10% of the screen despite much of the screen being November movies.  I think there should be some acknowledgement it CAN go over 20m.  If a controversial and cheap looking Jeepers Creepers 3 can pull 1.7M on a random Tuesday (?Wednesday) then Jigsaw can definitely surprise on Halloween weekend if they did it well

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Should I point out you bet against it (as did I) at the $15M level:)...you should probably be hoping BOTers are right (although I'm starting to think they may not be, unless this movie plays like the uber-sequel it is, and pretty much only draws pre-buying fans)...

AMC Empire 25 is already listing the dolby prime shows for JL as sold out for thursday and friday( 7 in total). I wonder if that was bulk booking. 

https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-theatres/new-york-city/amc-empire-25/showtimes/all/2017-11-16/amc-empire-25/all

Hopefully we get an update from "Deep Wang" tomorrow. some comparison with BvS or Thor or Guardians would be interesting. 

Edit: never mind. that was false positive. Shows are all listed. 

Edited by keysersoze123

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Should I point out you bet against it (as did I) at the $15M level:)...you should probably be hoping BOTers are right (although I'm starting to think they may not be, unless this movie plays like the uber-sequel it is, and pretty much only draws pre-buying fans)...

That was before tracking :jeb!: 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This might be huge for theaters if it works, in India they already do this for the movies of big superstars

This is the future.

If movies like Blade Runner are only 5 bucks, way more people are going to go to the movies again.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This might be huge for theaters if it works, in India they already do this for the movies of big superstars

Several chains in the UK charge more for blockbusters in their first two weeks but not dynamic pricing like they do with transport and theatre. I do wonder if people would pay more for an expected blockbuster or will they wait it out? With live entertainment and transport, you're limited by seats and times hence why dynamic pricing works but cinema, it's not as rigid.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

AMC Empire 25 is already listing the dolby prime shows for JL as sold out for thursday and friday( 7 in total). I wonder if that was bulk booking. 

https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-theatres/new-york-city/amc-empire-25/showtimes/all/2017-11-16/amc-empire-25/all

Hopefully we get an update from "Deep Wang" tomorrow. some comparison with BvS or Thor or Guardians would be interesting. 

Sold out ?Already? :bourne:

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

Sold out ?Already? :bourne:

Sorry. That was false positive. They probably did not start selling tickets for those shows earlier and now have started. 

This is not Star Wars. There wont be mania though I expect PS to be stronger than any movie not named SW

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Several chains in the UK charge more for blockbusters in their first two weeks but not dynamic pricing like they do with transport and theatre. I do wonder if people would pay more for an expected blockbuster or will they wait it out? With live entertainment and transport, you're limited by seats and times hence why dynamic pricing works but cinema, it's not as rigid.

People already play high enough prices for blockbusters and they have PLF screens for those who want to pay on the higher end.   $20-30+ for something I already pay a not exactly low $16.50 - $28 for?  No thanks.   Now that's the higher end because it's NYC but cost is relative to areas.

Lower prices for smaller budgeted or Indie films would be a boon for theaters and something I've been banging on about for ages.  Those are the films people are waiting to rent or stream because many don't consider it necessary to see them on the big screen at premium prices.  Discount Tuesday has show us how effective this can be.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Lower prices for smaller budgeted or Indie films would be a boon for theaters and something I've been banging on about for ages.  Those are the films people are waiting to rent or stream because many don't consider it necessary to see them on the big screen at premium prices.  Discount Tuesday has show us how effective this can be.

Does the tuesday boost bigger on smaller title than on big franchise one ?