grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

18 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Sorry if I confused you.

JL is ahead as of now.

Tuesday Before Previews

JL- 442 tickets sold

Thor 3- 416 tickets sold

What I was trying to say is that I have a feeling JL isn't gonna sell well when it comes to walk ups and will ultimately fall behind the total tickets sold of Thor 3 (944 tickets).

I am gonna say a preview number of 14-15M. 

i could see a lot of walk ups actually. its a family superhero movie. Its also generating a lot of good buzz around the people who have already seen it.

So with your numbers how much of an OW are estimating ?

Justice League 995 3713 26.80%
Wonder 422 1507 28.00%
Coco 124 2327 5.33%
Star Wars 2493 4330 57.58%
Fifty Shades 22 1921 1.15%

Justice League and Wonder are still doing super solid, gaining 100+ tickets each. Coco also saw a decent amount of growth. I don't know when I last looked at Star Wars, but it definitely felt there was a sizable increase, and having presales over 50% (though its schedule still isn't finalized) is very impressive. Hail Ridley! Fifty Shades is brand-spankin' new, but it's severely frontloaded at the moment (as to be expected). 18 of the tickets are for Thursday, while Friday and Saturday have two each.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

$105-115M would be really underwhelming for WB considering this is their Avengers. I have to wonder if BvS really did tamper enthusiasm for this; not just because of its reception, but because it also featured arguably by far DC's three most iconic characters teaming up on the big screen for the first time (and you only get that novelty once).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

235 Overseas Debut is gonna be awesome for this film.

As I said in the JL thread Fantastic Beast grosses 580 off a 185 opening and it also opened in all its markets except China.

15 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

As I said in the JL thread Fantastic Beast grosses 580 off a 185 opening and it also opened in all its markets except China.

But Harry Potter has a much bigger OS Fanbase than DC. And FB only grossed that much because the GA was happy with the final product. Whether or not JL also gets a good audience reception we dont know till OW at the earliest.

Though i will say that OS moviegoers seem to not care as much about reviews. But JL must be better received than BvS, that one fall of a cliff just like it did DOM.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

But Harry Potter has a much bigger OS Fanbase than DC. And FB only grossed that much because the GA was happy with the final product. Whether or not JL also gets a good audience reception we dont know till OW at the earliest.

Though i will say that OS moviegoers seem to not care as much about reviews. But JL must be better received than BvS, that one fall of a cliff just like it did DOM.

It will be better received 

1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

Adding China and Japan to FB gross gives it a 233 opening (same as the one deadline is predicting for JL). the potter brand is very strong in Europe and Japan. Even if JL manages to match its 580 OS gross it will need 420+ from domestic to break the billion barrier. Given the reviews and tracking that seems unlikely

Edited by ZeeSoh

1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

Fantastic Beasts works much better in the biggest international markets though.

In China, BvS, Wonder Woman and Fantastic Beasts were all on roughly one level. In Japan, FB was strong, and BvS and WW irrelevant. In South Korea FB was twice as strong as BvS and WW. In Great Britain FB was almost as big in local currency as BvS and WW combined. In Germany, FB was quite a bit bigger than BvS and WW combined. The only larger international market where BvS or WW could clearly outshine FB was Brazil. Add some smaller asian markets and you are more or less done.

I don't really see where JL is supposed to match FB when it comes to the international total. Btw, FB didn't open in China and Japan on its first weekend, its two biggest international markets.

The opening suggested in the article is behind the one delivered by BvS, a movie that came in quite a bit behind FB.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:01 AM, TwoMisfits said:

2nd local is up - very interesting set...shows how dead Oct was...

NEW

Murder on the Orient Express (2)

Daddy's Home (2)

Wonderstruck (1)

Returning

Thor (3.5 - 1.5 3d / 2 2d)

Bad Moms (1)

Jigsaw (1)

TYFYS (1 showing)

Boo (1)

Everything else is GONE...HDD, Geostorm, The Foreigner, Suburbicon, Blade Runner...not much of October even carrying to Nov 10 weekend (3 movies and 1 only gets a single showing:)...

2nd local is up...biggest surprise is JL getting 1 less screen to start than Thor did - this is what competition does at 12s...we'll see how sales go and if they decide to do what they did with Thor (cancel everyone else's 10pms and give them to Thor)...although I'm gonna note they only have 11 screens allocated, so they are holding a screen for JL or Wonder, since they don't ever book foreign films...

NEW

JL (3 - 1 3d, 2 2d)

The Star (1)

Wonder (1)

Returning

DH2 (2 - no way this doesn't get some shows canceled for JL or Wonder here)

MOE (1.5)

Thor (1.5)

Bad Mom's (1)

Everything else is gone (aka every Oct movie)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Adding China and Japan to FB gross gives it a 233 opening (same as the one deadline is predicting for JL). the potter brand is very strong in Europe and Japan. Even if JL manages to match its 580 OS gross it will need 420+ from domestic to break the billion barrier. Given the reviews and tracking that seems unlikely

JL will open bigger than expectations trust me in that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Fandango Meter - WED 9:10am 

JL: 26.5 avg  

Wonder:  6 avg

No direct comps but I wouldn't surprised if Wonder did $25m+  

MOTE - 6 avg  (9:20am)

BR - 8 avg (10am)

Ninjango: 3.8 (2:10pm)

Valerian: 4.75 (2pm)

You skipped The Star - it's selling some now, for real:)...