grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

Adding China and Japan to FB gross gives it a 233 opening (same as the one deadline is predicting for JL). the potter brand is very strong in Europe and Japan. Even if JL manages to match its 580 OS gross it will need 420+ from domestic to break the billion barrier. Given the reviews and tracking that seems unlikely

Less opening than BVS dies not equate to lower outcome.

Remember BVS opened to 422 and had a 2x world wide Multiplier.

JL can open to 350 and get a 2.8 World wide multiplier.

That all the film have to is have better legs than BVS.Im thinking it opens 375-400ww.

afyer that the film will only need a 2.66-2.5.

5 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

That all the film have to is have better legs than BVS.Im thinking it opens 375-400ww.

It could very well open lower, and have better legs, getting to BvS internationally. We simply don’t know yet

10 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Neither you nor I know how the film will open or behave. You believe JL will open higher and have better legs. I don't think it will have better legs than FB though I think it will out open FB. Btw I am not even comparing to BvS. 

Edited by ZeeSoh

4 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

It could very well open lower, and have better legs, getting to BvS internationally. We simply don’t know yet

Precisely what I’m trying to tell everyone.

BVS has a opening on par with a 1.4bil dollar film but couldn’t survive much with poor wom.

JL can very well open lower but end way higher than BVS.

1 minute ago, ZeeSoh said:

Neither you nor I know how the film will open or behave. You believe JL will open higher and have better legs. I don't think it will have better legs than FB though I think it will out open FB. Btw I am not even comparing to BvS. 

As long as it can manage to open bigger than its projected 230 and do something like 270 or 290 then FB Number is going down with plenty over.

BVS was projected to open to about 350-375 ww.

JL May do 375 imho.

Fantastic Beasts opened to $185m but had great legs internationally, it played through all November and December despite Rogue One - indeed FB passed R1 OS.

JL and FB don't seem really comps

Edited by XO21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

2nd local is up...biggest surprise is JL getting 1 less screen to start than Thor did - this is what competition does at 12s...we'll see how sales go and if they decide to do what they did with Thor (cancel everyone else's 10pms and give them to Thor)...although I'm gonna note they only have 11 screens allocated, so they are holding a screen for JL or Wonder, since they don't ever book foreign films...

NEW

JL (3 - 1 3d, 2 2d)

The Star (1)

Wonder (1)

Returning

DH2 (2 - no way this doesn't get some shows canceled for JL or Wonder here)

MOE (1.5)

Thor (1.5)

Bad Mom's (1)

Everything else is gone (aka every Oct movie)...

So, this local has just given The Star an extra 10am show for Sat/Sun - hurray, more than 1 screen!:)

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

:thinking:  Are you rooting for The Star to have your early predictions be right or do you somehow think it looks like a good movie that deserves to do well? 

Well, it's 3 for 3 on RT.com from 2 real sites...and I'm a sucker for cute Christmas movies...and a diverse cast telling the story the way it should be - how can I not want success?:)...and animated has sucked all summer...

So, I'm 1st hoping it's good and then 2nd hoping it does well - I want a new Christmas tradition movie - I mean Polar Express didn't quite cut it for me, and the Santa Clause and Elf were good, but ages ago:)...and there's only so many times I can watch the tv Grinch and Charlie Brown (although I will say Prep and Landing has been my new tradition b/c that one's good)...

So, how about both!:)

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Fandango  10:10am (5 minutes)

The Star: .6 

Coco:   1.4 avg 

JL:  27 avg

Wonder: 9 avg

Thor 3: 35 (9:55am)

What's Thor for?

Tickets sold in 5 minutes?

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, it's 3 for 3 on RT.com from 2 real sites...and I'm a sucker for cute Christmas movies...and a diverse cast telling the story the way it should be - how can I not want success?:)...and animated has sucked all summer...

So, I'm 1st hoping it's good and then 2nd hoping it does well - I want a new Christmas tradition movie - I mean Polar Express didn't quite cut it for me, and the Santa Clause and Elf were good, but ages ago:)...and there's only so many times I can watch the tv Grinch and Charlie Brown (although I will say Prep and Landing has been my new tradition b/c that one's good)...

So, how about both!:)

If you want a Christmas story with a donkey you can watch Little Drummer Boy - the TV level  Rankin & Bass stop motion animation from the 60s looks better than The Star's and it still delivers a punch  (really all the R&B Christmas themed animation from the 60s are a good bet)

For a recent addition to one's animated Christmas Tradition may I suggest Aardman's delightful and clever Arthur Christmas

12 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If you want a Christmas story with a donkey you can watch Little Drummer Boy - the TV level  Rankin & Bass stop motion animation from the 60s looks better than The Star's and it still delivers a punch  (really all the R&B Christmas themed animation from the 60s are a good bet)

For a recent addition to one's animated Christmas Tradition may I suggest Aardman's delightful and clever Arthur Christmas

See, I hate stop motion as a concept...I always find it takes away something from my viewing even if done well...it's personal preference:).  I mean, there are some good ones, but it's like they get a -1 to start on the 10 pt scale:)...

Since you recommended it, I may try to find Arthur Christmas - the box cover art was off-putting to me, but maybe I prejudged that one:)...

PS - I'm the person that can't read certain comic books if the art seems garish to me, so I am picky:)...