grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

30-35k maybe? Idk, it should still perform somewhat decently.

Considering that titles like Last Flag Flying have floundered despite having plenty of notable talent in front and behind the camera and reviews are looking to be really tepid, it's possible even the upscale crowd is starting to become more selective about parting with their cash. It feels like Sony is dumping it in general.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Considering that titles like Last Flag Flying have floundered despite having plenty of notable talent in front and behind the camera and reviews are looking to be really tepid, it's possible even the upscale crowd is starting to become more selective about parting with their cash. It feels like Sony is dumping it in general.

Denzel unlike others starring in these films is his own reliable brand when it comes to B.O.  Even if it has a tepid PTA in limited it will probably still do solid opening numbers when it goes wide.   I'm not sure what the point of a limited release for this film is unless Sony don't want to spend any $ on marketing and want it to die quickly. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Denzel unlike others starring in these films is his own reliable brand when it comes to B.O.  Even if it has a tepid PTA in limited it will probably still do solid opening numbers when it goes wide.   I'm not sure what the point of a limited release for this film is unless Sony don't want to spend any $ on marketing and want it to die quickly. 

That's pretty much what's happening. They seem to have given up on the film after its tepid reception at TIFF. Not that it would've done that great had they given it an actual marketing push (Collateral Beauty/Concussion numbers would've been the best case scenario).

Edited by filmlover

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/justice-league-box-office-opening-preview-1202615406/

Warner Bros.-DC’s Justice Leagueremains on track for an impressive — but hardly heroic — opening weekend of $110 million at 4,040 North American locations.

The Star,” the Nativity story told from the point of view of the animals, is expected to take in about $7 million. It’s being handled by Sony’s Affirm Films and co-financed by Walden Media. Produced by DeVon Franklin, “The Star” carries a $20 million price tag.

“Wonder” stars Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson, and Jacob Tremblay in the story of a boy’s struggles to deal with a facial deformity. Forecasts are in the $9 million range. 

Unless Wonder has far more fervent fanboys  than My Little Pony, that $9m is laughable.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/justice-league-box-office-opening-preview-1202615406/

Unless Wonder has far more fervent fanboys  than My Little Pony, that $9m is laughable.

It’s all laughable but I have a feeling when JL Thursday preview Number comes in then we will

go from there.

• Like 2

Just now, Brainiac5 said:

It’s all laughable but I have a feeling when JL Thursday preview Number comes in then we will

go from there.

Yeah once the preview number comes in ..  These site will eat their words ..... lol

• Like 2

Hypothetically speaking if we go by the word of EC and assume that like 20%-30% Of the DW presales are for Thanksgiving since the 5 day is around 30% of the 10 day, the OW can range from $116M-$132M. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

If it’s 10-15mil then yes but if it’s 20mil or better you’ll start to see a lot of back Tracking.

I HOPE SO

but that ship sailed early October.

All I can do now is sit back, eat popcorn and watch the meltdowns. C list MCU hero beating the ENTIRE JUSTICE LEAGUE?

:apocalypse:

Speaking of other fan movies...

My local 12 has 8 of its 12 screens already allocated for next Wednesday...and it's not looking great for Coco to get extra screens...right now, it already has reserved...

Coco (1 - 1/2 3d, 1/2 2d)

Lady Bird (1)

Roman Israel (1)

JL (3)

The Star (1)

Wonder (1)

That leaves 4 screens left for Thor, MOE, Bad Moms, and DH2...so the odds of getting a 2nd screen is getting pretty low at 12s for Coco...DH2 the likeliest candidate to be punted for a 1/2 screen, maybe...but that 1/2 may go to Thor, which could only have 1 now...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Hiccup23 said:

Really nervous to look at tickets for JL tonight at my theater. I just have a gut feeling I'm gonna be disappointed. Thor 3 was at 511 tickets sold 24 hours before it's previews. 

RIP THE BAND-AID OFF!

tenor.gif?itemid=4656329

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Hypothetically speaking if we go by the word of EC and assume that like 20%-30% Of the DW presales are for Thanksgiving since the 5 day is around 30% of the 10 day, the OW can range from $116M-$132M. 

I know that has been thrown out but glancing around at various theaters I just see empty auditoriums for JL next Thursday through Sunday even primetime.  Maybe the occasional 1-2 seat taken I suppose so I can't imagine it is any substantial piece of presales.  If it is, I couldn't find where those presales after this weekend are hiding anyway

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Speaking of other fan movies...

My local 12 has 8 of its 12 screens already allocated for next Wednesday...and it's not looking great for Coco to get extra screens...right now, it already has reserved...

Coco (1 - 1/2 3d, 1/2 2d)

Lady Bird (1)

Roman Israel (1)

JL (3)

The Star (1)

Wonder (1)

That leaves 4 screens left for Thor, MOE, Bad Moms, and DH2...so the odds of getting a 2nd screen is getting pretty low at 12s for Coco...DH2 the likeliest candidate to be punted for a 1/2 screen, maybe...but that 1/2 may go to Thor, which could only have 1 now...

You're getting my hopes up for Lady Bird next week :ohmygod: 

• Like 1