grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

39 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Previews at AMC Lincoln Square are super dead. The 8pm is like 1/3 full. The 10pm is totally empty. 

The 3 IMAX showings are quite full - and they are huge auditoriums, just the first couple rows left.  I'm not sure when these regular showings were added - but previews are far from dead....this one is probably one of the best given these IMAX tickets are $25.29 apiece and there are over 1000 seats taken between 3 IMAX shows.  The midnight one is even more than half full

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

I'd say 120m is the floor and they are playing it safe. Presales are decent and on par with previous CBMs this year but walkups may help. I'm not at all impressed but its not the disaster narrative evil raegr or others thought it would be.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Sydney Bristow said:

Time: Wednesday, 20:20 EST

MovieTickets:

1- JL: 34,5%

2- Thor: 12,7%

3- Wonder: 10,6%

4- BM: 9,8%

5- MOTOE: 8,2%

Pulse:

1- JL

2- Wonder

3- Thor

4- JL 3d

5- MOTOE

5 min watch:

JL: 361 (72,2 p.m.)

Wonder: 53 (10,6 p.m.)

The Star: 5 (1 p.m.)

Coco: 4

JL picked up big time. 120 at worst. 130-150M is our range. It is what is.

3 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Wonder going to take out Thor for second place this weekend?

I don't think so. It may even end up having more admissions, but as it has been mentioned a couple of times, its ticket average price is very low because of discounts. And Thor also has 3d. So it should do more even if it sells less tickets.

Just now, Sydney Bristow said:

I don't think so. It may even end up having more admissions, but as it has been mentioned a couple of times, its ticket average price is very low because of discounts. And Thor also has 3d. So it should do more even if it sells less tickets.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wonder is third for the weekend which would be fine 

I'm the only one that brings up Google Trends that I've seen on here, but here goes again.  I give the disclaimer that I've only been following it and trying to correlate things with the box office for a few months - it is useful though (I think) in specific ways, but the jury is definitely still out.  

For JL what is in its favor is that it has the best "top states" ranking of any movie I've seen so far.  CA, NY, NJ, IL, TX, AZ, MI are the top 7 for instance and quite close together in interest levels with CA set at 100 (NY = 93, MI = 82 at lowest).  I don't know that you could have a better top 7 states if this interest gauge translates to tickets sold as they are major population centers. 

For Thor for example - NJ and NY were way down the list and didn't pop in until the #20s. CA, AZ, a few smaller midwest states, then DC, VA were tops.  So when Thor sold like crazy at my Northern VA theater and at Georgetown AMC I presumed they overindexed.  NY numerical rank was 55-57 the entire opening week and day, but if you change the trendline to the past 6 months these rankings were about the same.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sydney Bristow said:

Average ticket price is a good point.  I agree. I'm just impressed at how often it is flying by on pulse

• Like 1

Here's the last movietickets update for Wonder Woman on the Wednesday before release: 

On 5/31/2017 at 5:19 PM, grim22 said:

MT: 

WW 34.7

POTC 22.7

Baywatch 9

GOTG2 7.1

Captain Underpants 5.3

Justice League has a pretty much identical 34.5%. The box office from holdovers that day was stronger than it'll be today, but Wonder is doing stronger presales than Captain Underpants.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Wonder going to take out Thor for second place this weekend?

It's gonna be a good, good weekend for BO and premier material:)...it's starting to fall into place:)...

Only thing that would make it more awesome would be if the 3 new movies went 1, 2, 3...but I'd take 1, 3, 5:)...

Soooo a weird twist in the JL preview drama.

Fandango's site is apparently fucked up. Went on Movetickets.com and the showings work to buy online :)

So Justice League is still ahead of Thor 3! :) But.........the gap is narrowing quickly. 

Justice League 540 2,298

23.5%

• Like 4

Showtimes at my local theater:

1. Justice League- 5 (3D), 17 (2D and IMAX), 22 total (debut)

2. Thor: Ragnarok- 1 (3D), 12 (2D), 13 total

3. Daddy's Home 2- 10

4. Murder on the Orient Express- 9

5. A Bad Moms Christmas- 7

6. The Star- 6 (debut)

7. Wonder- 5 (debut)

8. Jigsaw- 5 

9. Let There Be Light- 4

10. Thank You For Your Service- 3

11. Happy Death Day- 2

12. LBJ- 1

Leaving: Geostorm, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, and Tyler Perry's Boo 2: A Madea Halloween

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tomorrow night at my theater:

5:00 Star: 6/69

6:00 JL: 54/124

6:00 JL 3D: 4/78

6:45 JL 3D: 19/78

7:00 Wonder: 23/78

7:30 JL: 55/113

7:15 Star: 3/69

8:15 JL: 5/78

8:45 JL 3D: 0/78

Any comps for all?

45 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

The 3 IMAX showings are quite full - and they are huge auditoriums, just the first couple rows left.  I'm not sure when these regular showings were added - but previews are far from dead....this one is probably one of the best given these IMAX tickets are $25.29 apiece and there are over 1000 seats taken between 3 IMAX shows.  The midnight one is even more than half full

Lincoln Center is the biggest IMAX screen in NYC.  (most other IMAX showing in NYC aren't doing nearly as well)  The first showing almost always sells out for CBM or is at 90%+.   Usually they're at 70-80% a day or two after tickets go on sale.

LC started off with 5 screens for JL and added another two about a week ago.

By Thur Preview night at LC:

CW: 13 screens, 2 sellouts 

GOTG 2: 7 screens

WW: 7 screens

SMHC: 7 screens, 1 sellout

THOR 3: 9 screens, 1 sellout

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tomorrow night at my theater:

5:00 Star: 6/69

6:00 JL: 54/124

6:00 JL 3D: 4/78

6:45 JL 3D: 19/78

7:00 Wonder: 23/78

7:30 JL: 55/113

7:15 Star: 3/69

8:15 JL: 5/78

8:45 JL 3D: 0/78

I think the size of Thur night previews for Wonder indicate it's sales aren't just being pushed because schools are buying up tickets.  By why is Star getting double the screenings... Did @TwoMisfits do the scheduling? :ph34r:

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2