grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They must have a surprise appearance by the stars set up for either before or after the movie because no sane person would pay that much to see a movie.

Those are  movies that some people go see and re-see like 3/4 times in theater than buy the bluray (even at 10$ by tickets that would be around 65$), they will find a lot of people to pay 30$ for the very first screening of those fanbase movies, even more for a star wars (people waited a day long in line, most will pay 150$ and not have to wait).

Theater/studio were leaving a lot of money on the table by not charging ridiculous price for the first day of those event movies and I suspect those system will be much more for that, than for giving rebate to smaller movies. 

Look at how much they achieve to charge for a pop-corn, people are ready to spend fortune to see a movie.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's comparative to GOTG2 in screen size (and it started out so much higher than all the others from this year)  but lagging in saturation and complete sellouts.  With 171 vs 88 reserved screens it has more than twice as many screens to check for near sellouts.

Is "near sellout" essentially an eyeball of all but the front rows? Or how is it defined?

BTW that's an impressive amount of work to look up and update ..thanks

Edited by Rumpot

1 minute ago, raegr said:

How did you come to that conclusion looking at this data???

Let's take a look at the numbers:

GOTG2: 342 / 88 / 34/  9
Thor 3: 313/192/26/ 6 (1pm)
JL: 345/171/27/3 (1pm)

JL has more screenings than Thor. That's excellent, because 2 theaters filled with 70% capacity is better then 1 theater completely sold out.

Thor had more reserved seating screenings, so that means more screenings for @TalismanRing to analyse for sellouts. Even with more reserved seating, it has less sellouts than JL (so if JL had more reserved seating screenings, @TalismanRing could have discovered even more sellouts). Therefore, JL is clearly doing better numbers than Thor.

I assume the numbers for GOTG2 posted, considerind there is no time on them, are closer to the time the previews started. Let's go. GOTG2 has basically the same number of showings that JL has. So their numbers are easy to correlate. GoTG2 only had 88 reserved seating screenings, while JL has double. So for JL to have the same numbers, it has to have double the numbers of sellouts - that means, about 70. Considering sales pick up largely the day of the showing, I truly believe JL can get to that number in a few hours. Lots of people wait to buy their tickets on the day, even on OD/previews, because that's when they'll know for sure their schedules. 

My theater in Brazil for the previews had tons of people buying tickets a few hours before. The first two/three rows only filled a couple hours before the movie started.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMovieman said:

I know at my theater I would refuse to sit in the front row. Heck, the third and fourth rows for me was too close when I saw Logan. I have to be at least five rows and above to comfortable.

Agreed.  I'm surprised there is any overlap between the group that goes to a movie for Thursday previews and anyone willing to have a bad experience watching from the first row or two 

2 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

I know at my theater I would refuse to sit in the front row. Heck, the third and fourth rows for me was too close when I saw Logan. I have to be at least five rows and above to comfortable.

I have no ideal why the front row even exist at theaters.

7 minutes ago, Sydney Bristow said:

Let's take a look at the numbers:

GOTG2: 342 / 88 / 34/  9
Thor 3: 313/192/26/ 6 (1pm)
JL: 345/171/27/3 (1pm)

JL has more screenings than Thor. That's excellent, because 2 theaters filled with 70% capacity is better then 1 theater completely sold out.

Thor had more reserved seating screenings, so that means more screenings for @TalismanRing to analyse for sellouts. Even with more reserved seating, it has less sellouts than JL (so if JL had more reserved seating screenings, @TalismanRing could have discovered even more sellouts). Therefore, JL is clearly doing better numbers than Thor.

I assume the numbers for GOTG2 posted, considerind there is no time on them, are closer to the time the previews started. Let's go. GOTG2 has basically the same number of showings that JL has. So their numbers are easy to correlate. GoTG2 only had 88 reserved seating screenings, while JL has double. So for JL to have the same numbers, it has to have double the numbers of sellouts - that means, about 70. Considering sales pick up largely the day of the showing, I truly believe JL can get to that number in a few hours. Lots of people wait to buy their tickets on the day, even on OD/previews, because that's when they'll know for sure their schedules. 

My theater in Brazil for the previews had tons of people buying tickets a few hours before. The first two/three rows only filled a couple hours before the movie started.

I think GOTG2 was early afternoon but I didn't note it and I'd need a mod to check the old Buzz topic

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

Yep. That's why it takes a while to get sellouts. The person wants to buy the tickets for a preview, for example, and sees there are only tickets available on the first two rows. She says: "Oh, no, I'm going to buy for tomorrow that I can get better seats".

In the end, only people who reeeally want to watch the movie that day (like people who are already at the mall and think, "why not") will accept the front rows a few hours before it starts.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

I have no ideal why the front row even exist at theaters.

And yet for w/e reason people will still buy at the same prices as the other rows. Wouldn't surprise me with the rise of reserved seating if there will be tier pricing (i.e. more expensive for the middle center seats that usually sell out first on big releases)

Edited by TheMovieman

1 minute ago, TheMovieman said:

And yet for w/e reason people will still buy at the same prices as the other rows. Wouldn't surprise me with the rise of reserved seating if there will be tier pricing (i.e. more expensive for the middle center seats that usually sell out first on big releases)

See, I'd just make it the $3 row...2nd row from front is $6 (or whatever discount day pricing is)...rest of rows are full price...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

See, I'd just make it the $3 row...2nd row from front is $6 (or whatever discount day pricing is)...rest of rows are full price...

But that won't maximize revenue for the theater.

BTW, here matinee prices are only $5.25. After 5 or 6 (can't remember when), it's $8.00.