grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

I'm far more optimistic than this morning on JL. Local theater filling up very fast through the day

All 3 of mine are pretty much full (2D/IMAX)...the 3D are getting there as well... the 3D was weak yesterday ..but it's getting there today .... I very confident this will do over THOR:R at this point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

I'm far more optimistic than this morning on JL. Local theater filling up very fast through the day

Any over 20mil in previews and 110-120mil is dead as far as opening Weekend  goes.

Some schools are still in but still would be able to pull a 65mil day or so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Subzero said:

All 3 of mine are pretty much full (2D/IMAX)...the 3D are getting there as well... the 3D was weak yesterday ..but it's getting there today .... I very confident this will do over THOR:R at this point.

Same here and as far as I’m concerned Walk ups are gonna do the rest.

My theater Isn’t looking no different from BVS on it’s Thursday last year.

• Like 2

So, one things everyone always forgets when they compare BVS Thursday previews and JL Thursday previews - for many families, BVS preview day was a day off...it was Holy Thursday, and all Catholic schools have that day off...and b/c they do, many public schools plan spring break the week before Easter (my large county school system does), not the week after it.  Plus, almost everyone has that Friday off, so no worries about staying up late.  And then, many folks had to account for Easter services and family time, pushing forward demand even more.  

So, comparisons to BvS previews have always been unfair to JL on their face, b/c JL is opening on a 100% non-day-off w/ a 100% non-day-off the next day.  When we say DC always has higher previews (and so it needs them to open to similar Marvel #s), we should probably drop BvS's numbers from the calculus and compare from there...maybe DC still needs higher previews to get the same weekend #...I guess we'll definitely find out this weekend in a head-to-head with Thor from 2 weeks ago...

• Like 3

Just now, Sydney Bristow said:

JL is doing 115 per minute average on Fandango 

According to @TalismanRing numbers, Thor was doing 175 and IT 186 at the same point.:whosad:

Thanks, but maybe JL started off at higher initial than those movies. Deep Wang said that it was outpacing BvS and 90% higher than WW at an earlier point this week. Therefore, wouldn't that leave it with less room to grow? Just sayin'.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, one things everyone always forgets when they compare BVS Thursday previews and JL Thursday previews - for many families, BVS preview day was a day off...it was Holy Thursday, and all Catholic schools have that day off...and b/c they do, many public schools plan spring break the week before Easter (my large county school system does), not the week after it.  Plus, almost everyone has that Friday off, so no worries about staying up late.  And then, many folks had to account for Easter services and family time, pushing forward demand even more.  

So, comparisons to BvS previews have always been unfair to JL on their face, b/c JL is opening on a 100% non-day-off w/ a 100% non-day-off the next day.  When we say DC always has higher previews (and so it needs them to open to similar Marvel #s), we should probably drop BvS's numbers from the calculus and compare from there...maybe DC still needs higher previews to get the same weekend #...I guess we'll definitely find out this weekend in a head-to-head with Thor from 2 weeks ago...

This is true as a smaller preview Number don’t have to mean smaller opening.

JL can do 17mil in previews and it’s Weekend can still be on par with BVS because of its internal multiplier.

On other movie news, I'm shocked The Star is getting any Thursday night sales with the JL/Wonder juggernaut (and with kids in schools), - but my locals have each sold 3-5 tickets for their 5pm showing already, so hurray for no shut out on those shows!:)  Maybe they'll sell a few more before showtime:)...

• Like 1

Just now, Diana Prince said:

Thanks, but maybe JL started off at higher initial than those movies. Deep Wang said that it was outpacing BvS and 90% higher than WW at an earlier point this week. Therefore, wouldn't that leave it with less room to grow? Just sayin'.

Yes, I am considering that too. Deep Wang said WW and SM were head to head before the last two days of presales, and considering JL had up to Monday 2x the presales of WW, it means JL also had 2x the presales of SMHC. So SMHC had way more ground to cover, and their higher numbers are explainable. The same thing (to a lesser extend) to Thor. Deep Wang said JL was running 25% ahead of Thor, so Thor also has more ground to cover.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sydney Bristow said:

Yes, I am considering that too. Deep Wang said WW and SM were head to head before the last two days of presales, and considering JL had up to Monday 2x the presales of WW, it means JL also had 2x the presales of SMHC. So SMHC had way more ground to cover, and their higher numbers are explainable. The same thing (to a lesser extend) to Thor. Deep Wang said JL was running 25% ahead of Thor, so Thor also has more ground to cover.

Don't forget that EC has access to more data, and didn't seem to agree.

Speaking of Deep Wang, do we get a final update today?

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Don't forget that EC has access to more data, and didn't seem to agree.

Speaking of Deep Wang, do we get a final update today?

Yes, but he still picked it to open higher than Thor, WW, and SM:H. His latest prediction was 125m because he did not see any growth sufficient to raise his prediction. I wonder whether the same would hold for today, which seems to have seen a healthy growth judging by the eyeball tests. 

• Like 1