grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2nd local has already added 3 late showings for JL tonight to bring its showings to 17 for today (from 14) - that's a good JL sign even if presales sucked last night:)...(Thor lost last 2 showings and Bad Moms lost the other)...

Edit: They have also added 4 for Saturday...guess they are making up for waiting so long to add extra shows for Thursday...(and they dropped Thor to only 7 showings that day - big drop from their weekly planned set up)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

2nd local has already added 3 late showings for JL tonight to bring its showings to 17 for today (from 14) - that's a good JL sign even if presales sucked last night:)...(Thor lost last 2 showings and Bad Moms lost the other)...

I think JL will play much like a Family film.

115x2.7=310mil.

Only time will tell if it can pull a Wonder Woman or a SS.In between the two will land the film above a 3x.

Edited by Brainiac5

16 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Reluctant to even mention by JL doing very well since mid-day here.  A RealD was 70% full just now... tomorrow's early shows look good.  Guess we'll see since my theater's performance didn't apply more broadly yesterday

Agree - it's like my local did the same for Thor and cleared the deck tonight giving JL 7 showings from 9:30pm-11:30pm (and 20 showings overall), so obviously my area isn't a problem in selling this movie:)...

And can I mention The Star has sold more tickets to 10pm showings than 10am showings today?  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Agree - it's like my local did the same for Thor and cleared the deck tonight giving JL 7 showings from 9:30pm-11:30pm (and 20 showings overall), so obviously my area isn't a problem in selling this movie:)...

And can I mention The Star has sold more tickets to 10pm showings than 10am showings today?  

Since you mentioned it I checked the 940pm here and was shocked to see 58/~230 filled for the Star.  Expected empty to 10 at most at that time... interesting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Since you mentioned it I checked the 940pm here and was shocked to see 58/~230 filled for the Star.  Expected empty to 10 at most at that time... interesting.

My likes really need to reset soon:)...this weekend is killing my like function b/c I never seem to have them when I want them:)...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

My likes really need to reset soon:)...this weekend is killing my like function b/c I never seem to have them when I want them:)...

Haha all good.  I don't even know how all that works.  Saturdays especially have been outperforming lately so hopefully that continues tomorrow for all the openers.  

On 11/10/2017 at 7:31 AM, YourMother said:

Coco

North Shore Cinema (11 days before previews, 12 before release)

Mequon, WI

7:00 - 4/98

10:00 - 0/98

Running at 16.6% of DM3 and 26.6% of The Star. However Coco presales have just started a few days ago so no worries.

Coco

North Shore Cinema (4 days before previews, 5 before release)

Mequon, WI

11/21/17

7:00 - 20/98

7:45 - 1/68

10:00 - 0/98

10:45 - 1/68

Running 15% ahead of DH2 and 37.5% ahead of Wonder (so $34.5M-$41.25M for the OW).

2 hours ago, MattW said:

Lol.  Was DW having a  laugh at the dceu superfans/trolls the whole time with the whole 'roughly matching BvS' updates?

I may be wrong but I think DW only provides raw numbers and grim22 does the comparisions and stuff (since he cant provide the raw numbers)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Tele gave the last deep wang update in which jl presales were 2/3 of bvs. From same as bvs to 65% of bvs, what happened? 

Hmm, BvS had a surge as release got closer and JL didnt would be my guess.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Tele gave the last deep wang update in which jl presales were 2/3 of bvs. From same as bvs to 65% of bvs, what happened? 

Usually, the final week especially from Monday thru Thursday before release sees a huge uptick in pre-sales. It seems like that did not happen for JL. 

• Like 2

Let us be honest, it is the hardcore fans who buy tickets two weeks in advance. I think the casual fans abandoned the movie and the rotten tomatoes stunt didn't help either. When your movie doesn't have a score on RT 24 hours before release then its RT score may as well be 0%. That's why there was no big surge in the Monday-Thursday period.

4 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Online pre-sales are a greater % of tickets sold now than they were when BvS came out.   Every year they grow by a significant %.

It's why Fandango comps to movies from 2 years ago are kind of meaningless unless they say they're performing under.

When Fandango compared the pre-sales to WW this year, saying pacing above, they were on point.  The movie they chose for comparison was the right one.  They didn't compare it to SMHC and Thor 3 because it wasn't doing as well - and not because some has hoped because WW was the zeitgeist pick.

Looking at Fandango Pulse it was pacing along WW and lagging behind SM:HC and Thor 3 by more than 20%. 

With that I still thought it would do $100-110m just because I couldn't see the brand falling that hard...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1