grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

MT.com - what a difference a day continues to make...

29.4% Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

19.7% Star Wars: The Last Jedi

10.9% Greatest Showman, The

8.1% Pitch Perfect 3

6% Ferdinand

Wow....

I think my theater is breaching the SW contract because Insidious is in the biggest auditorium on Thursday night :hahaha: Molly's Game is in an average aud. for Thursday, but no SOW/DH. Don't think my theater will be getting them this weekend :whosad: 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think my theater is breaching the SW contract because Insidious is in the biggest auditorium on Thursday night :hahaha: Molly's Game is in an average aud. for Thursday, but no SOW/DH. Don't think my theater will be getting them this weekend :whosad: 

That's the same case for me. Although it could just be for Thursday night.

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

That's the same case for me. Although it could just be for Thursday night.

Taking a look around the Orlando area, there's an AMC getting Darkest Hour with Thursday previews. We're probably screwed there, but dunno about SOW; my theater did 3B previews last month.

19 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think many theaters are watching today and deciding on breach/no breach.  Not a single theater in my entire area has set Friday yet, and normally I'd see at least 3-4 (including 1 of my locals).  Could be a very interesting weekend coming:)...

• Like 2

I think many theaters are watching today and deciding on breach/no breach. Not a single theater in my entire area has set Friday yet, and normally I'd see at least 3-4 (including 1 of my locals). Could be a very interesting weekend coming:).

Wouldn't it be smarter for theaters to wait until after the 4 week contract is over with to start dumping screens for TLJ on 1/12 without penalty?

Edited by Mojoguy

20 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Taking a look around the Orlando area, there's an AMC getting Darkest Hour with Thursday previews. We're probably screwed there, but dunno about SOW; my theater did 3B previews last month.

I was talking about Insidious. :lol:

Sorry for not being clear.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Wouldn't it be smarter for theaters to wait until after the 4 week contract is over with to start dumping screens for TLJ on 1/12 without penalty?

Depends how empty their showings are?  I mean, my locals booked it on 3-4 screens (out of 12) and Jumanji still only has 1...that has had to hurt this week...and now The Greatest Showman is also starting to take off.  Add in some limiteds or foreign films they want + the new wide openers...they may decide to take the immediate loss to just get out of losing 200+ seat screens to 10 tickets/showing...I mean, last night, the last 3 TLJ shows (8:50pm, 10:20pm, and 11pm) sold 8 seats total...a lot of movies could probably beat that number...

But you're right...they probably are weighing this and seeing today's sales and taking their time to decide...and to decide if they want to chance squeaking a breach (like keeping the number of showings but switching screens since they aren't fully selling seats anyway or canceling a showing or two for something else to fit) vs fully just forfeiting them or just sticking to the terms...

I mean, it's interesting that only 3 AMC thaters in my 50 mile area are even preselling Insidious for Thursday yet (and none for Friday) - this is really not normal...

Edited by TwoMisfits

On 12/25/2017 at 10:22 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Daddy's Home 2 is gone.

Wonder: 3 (Return; Smallest)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 10 (Down 3; 5 2D/5 3D; Biggest and Average)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: 9 (Up 3; 4 2D/5 3D; 2nd Biggest, Average, and 4th Smallest)

All the Money in the World: 4 (Down 1; Average)

Downsizing: 4 (Down 1; 2nd Smallest)

Ferdinand: 4 (Down 1 and lost 3D; 3rd Smallest)

The Greatest Showman: 4 (Down 2; Average)

Pitch Perfect 3: 4 (Down 3; Average)

Coco: 2 (Down 1; 4th Smallest)

Father Figures: 2 (Down 3; Average)

Thor: Ragnarok: 1 (Down 1; Smallest)

They're going back to regular operating hours instead of the daily 9 AM open/11 PM close they've been doing for the Christmas break.

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Coco and Thor: Ragnarok are gone.

Darkest Hour: 4 (Biggest)

Insidious: The Last Key: 4 (Average)

Molly's Game: 4 (2nd Biggest)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: 6 (Down 4; 3 2D/3 3D; Average)

All the Money in the World: 4 (Flat; Average)

Downsizing: 4 (Flat; Smallest)

Ferdinand: 4 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

The Greatest Showman: 4 (Flat; Average)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: 4 (Down 5; 2 2D/3 3D; Average)

Pitch Perfect 3: 4 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Wonder: 3 (Flat; 4th Smallest)

Father Figures: 1 (Down 1; 4th Smallest)

During the weekend, Jumanji has the biggest auditorium and two extra screens (average and fourth smallest with Downsizing and TLJ) while one TLJ screen is the 2nd biggest auditorium; DH and MG are downgraded to average auditoriums.

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

I was talking about Insidious. :lol:

Sorry for not being clear.

For the record, my theater updated, and Insidious isn't getting the biggest theater next week. It's only getting the 2nd-biggest, and Star Wars is keeping the biggest.

• Like 1

My 1st local (Cinemark) is UP...and it has probably not strictly followed its contract (or it got Disney to let them finally cut their completely empty late shows).  It will be down to a single show after 8pm, donating its other 2 showings (which would happen in the 10-11pm hour) to other shows (one foreign and one for Downsizing)...it also is only gonna do 1 3d showing (in the smallest theater), but tonight's performance tells you why (if you saw my other post)...here's the list...

NEW

Insidious (1) (one of biggest)

Molly's Game (1) (60 seater)

Darkest Hour (1) (60 seater)

Veilakarren (.5 - 1 early and 1 late show)

RETURNING

Star Wars TLJ (2.5ish - 11 total shows 1 3d/10 2d - regular 3 screen through 8 pm - then 2 of 3 late shows gone)

Jumanji (1 - still 2 3d/3 2d)

TGS (1)

Ferdinand (1)

PP3 (1)

Coco (.75 - no late show either)

Tiger Zinda Hai (.75 - no early show)

Downsizing (.5 - 1 matinee and 1 late show)

JL, Father Figures, and a foreign film are gone...

EDIT: And I checked Saturday and TLJ drops to 10 shows...it loses a 1st show of the day, so the theater may toss that to Jumanji later (I guess) if presales are good b/c I don't know why else they wouldn't have it (unless there's one of those "10am oldies movies" not yet set)...it does keep 11 for Sunday...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

My AMC 24 was different then everywhere else it seems. 

It has 4 large auditoriums.  1 being an IMAX and 1 an AMC Dolby.

On the 1st both premiums and 1 of the other large auditoriums were showing TLJ.  The 4th large auditorium was showing Jumanji.

On the smaller auditoriums 2 had TLJ and only 1 had Jumanji.

It has changed for this weekend.  4 of the 6 AMC Dolby shows are now Jumanji.

2nd local (Regal) is up...and if they didn't violate their TLJ terms with dropped shows...although technically, I guess they could say they still have it on 3 screens, when it gets 3 screens for late night (guess they and my other local swapped, so only one has to try to fill these) and only TWO for the whole rest of the day and they don't start early anymore - they also dropped to a single 3d showing and the rest 2d...here's the rest of the line up...

NEW

Insidious (1)

Molly's Game (1)

Returning

Star Wars TLJ (2.25 - 1 3d/ 8 2d - down 5 showings)

Darkest Hour (1)

Father Figures (1)

PP3 (1)

The Shape of Water (1)

Jumanji (1 - still 2d/3d split)

The Greatest Showman (1)

Ferdinand (1)

Coco (.75 - TLJ takes its late show)

I'm betting for both my locals, if they are already massaging showings this weekend, TLJ is down to 1 screen next week...

Edited by TwoMisfits