grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Some of the Golden Globe nominees (Lady Bird, The Disaster Artist, Three Billboards) are coming back to some theaters that had to lose them over the holidays around me this weekend (I, Tonya is opening at a bunch of places this weekend as well).

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Some of the Golden Globe nominees (Lady Bird, The Disaster Artist, Three Billboards) are coming back to some theaters that had to lose them over the holidays around me this weekend (I, Tonya is opening at a bunch of places this weekend as well).

I, Tonya's opening here got delayed until next week :thinking: 

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just got an email from Fandango saying I, Tonya is everywhere this weekend, so its TC is probably 700+. IT AIN'T PLAYING HERE THOUGH :ohmyzod: 

It's only opening at the arthouse-popular theaters around here so not that wide. Probably around 200-250 theaters.

Pulse:

1. TLJ

2. Jumanji

3. Ferdinand

4. Showman

5. Coco

5 minutes of watching:

14 Molly

12 Insidious

11 The Post

3 Tonya

3 Fifty Shades

2 Phantom Thread

It's hard to say how much of Molly's Game is from theaters it's currently playing in, but this seems encouraging. It might be ahead of Battle of the Sexes when it was going wide, but I don't have any comps up.

That's strong for Insidious.

Holy SHIT The Post has picked up the pace a lot :ohmygod: I believe it's getting a small expansion this weekend, but if it's not (or it's nothing major), this bodes extremely well for next week.

• Like 1

I was about to call bullshit on that Insidious prediction, but January does lead to stronger numbers than usual for horror (for some reason), and Insidious being a bigger franchise than normal for the month could lead to a number closer to that than the 15-below range from the Women In Black, the Resident Evils and the Bye Bye Men of the world.

Fully expecting Jumanji to be #1 for the weekend, though. Star Wars being #1 again would be honestly surprising.

And if TGS pulls a miracle and starts holding on like a monster from here on out and grosses 100M DOM...... that would be insane.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Fully expecting Jumanji to be #1 for the weekend, though. Star Wars being #1 again would be honestly surprising.

That would indeed be really confusing. It was the weekend where it lost ground on Jumanji, and now it is clearly behind during the weekdays. It would be very odd if the movie would somehow not only make up its current distance to Jumanji but also get ahead of it. The very opposite sounds far more likely to me.

• Like 1

Insidious 26 1789 1.45%
Fifty Shades 139 1921 7.24%

Insidious has all of their showtimes available, and as expected, it's pretty frontloaded, with almost all of the business being done on Thursday and Friday. Shades only saw a tiny bump.

Tickets are up for next week's releases at my theater. The Post is in the biggest auditorium, Paddington is in the second biggest, and Proud Mary and The Commuter are in average auditoriums.

Any ideas on the TLJ screen drops?