grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 minutes ago, Kenny said:

:winomg:Since Trump support Disney and even campaigned together with Disney to buy FOX. I think its the other way around the MCU fans are Trump supporters. 

What?   Business deals have nothing to do with fans and MCU fans are by in large General Audience fans who have varying political and social views.  FYI, it was thought that Bob Iger was considering running for President (Democrat) before he extended his deal.

Trump supports the deal for FOX, so that their "news" stations can become more powerful.  It has nothing to do with Disney.  It's  the same reason he's against the ATT/WB Merger, he doesn't want CNN to become more powerful under ATT.  It's all about him and his war with the media.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

The CW comparison is funky.  CW pre-sales are not only 2 years ago but started almost 2 months out on March 10 (or 9th) and in a relatively low amt of theaters.

I'd prefer to know how it's doing against Ragnarok and Spider-man HC

I figure that despite when/where Civil War presales started, Ragnarok and Homecoming still were lower in the first 24 hours. If they’d been higher, wouldn’t reports have been released as well for them? So Black Panther is higher than 24h presales for those two as well...

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I doubt anyone will do that.  I'd still be happy with even just a $100M OW.  But my personal prediction is that it gets to $180M for the 3-day.

I think we see your and others overhype again. 

People never learns...

We should just wait for first forecasts.

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, RRA said:

A dirty secret about WW was that it had a large number of people that went to see it that might not show up for BP: white Trump voters (especially women). Hopefully BP can compensate elsewhere for that gap, and apparently it will. 

Wonder Woman legged it to 400m based off WOM.  And if our former local racist BKB was going to Stan for this movie, I think it can pull in some of WW’s white audience.

That said, I still think over WW is a long shot, it just won’t have the broad female appeal necessary to.

• Like 1

Proud Mary is not screening for critics and Sony isn't putting much promotion into it either.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-isnt-sony-doing-more-to-promote-proud-mary-and-taraji-p-henson

"It’s not screening for critics this week, so don’t expect any advance reviews of Proud Mary. Furthermore, critics attending the film’s press junket weren’t allowed to screen the film first, so interviews with Taraji will have to remain vague as it’s a little hard to discuss a film that you haven’t seen yet with an actress."

32 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Pretty clear that Proud Mary is going to collapse after its OW like other ScreenGems joints.

ScreenGems just wasted the time for bad releases in this years. 

Sony should look at Blumhouse and Wan Kingdom and takes some notes. Not all but most there.

33 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

ScreenGems just wasted the time for bad releases in this years. 

Sony should look at Blumhouse and Wan Kingdom and takes some notes. Not all but most there.

Sony should stick with Sam Raimis company Ghost House, they did quite well with Don't Breathe and Evil Dead. I'm wondering if Sony pissed them off though.

55 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Sony should stick with Sam Raimis company Ghost House, they did quite well with Don't Breathe and Evil Dead. I'm wondering if Sony pissed them off though.

Yeah, but Screen Gems is part of Columbia, Ghost House- not, it's a private company. So if Sony wanna make some changes, it's gonna be easier with SG, cause studio, in this case,  can avoid any contradiction.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

23 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Evening Update:

Paddington 39 2252 1.73%
Proud Mary 107 1845 5.80%
The Commuter 7 2318 0.30%
Fifty Shades 221 1921 11.50%
Black Panther 351 2176 16.13%

Proud Mary saw a dramatic increase, with most of it coming from its Friday show. Maybe it's because of my area, but this could be in for a breakout. Cookie Monster, her POWAH! And of course, Black Panther saw a big growth.

Paddington 108 2252 4.22%
Proud Mary 247 1845 13.39%
The Commuter 55 2318 2.37%
Fifty Shades 226 1921 11.50%
Black Panther 599 2176 27.53%

Just about everything aside from Fifty Shades saw a bounce, though Commuter continues to be dead last. Let's hope there are a lot of walkups coming its way.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

How come BP is number one on Fandango, but not showing up on Movie Tickets yet? This movie is going to be huuuuuge! 

I’m not sure, but it’s definitely looks like it might’ve taken a big percentage of sales that has the highest movie on that list going from >20% to 12%. Also, half the theaters near me aren’t showing up on Movie Tickets as open for sales. I can see the showtimes, but can’t purchase tickets. I can buy tickets on Fandango just fine though. Might be an issue that’s affecting other theaters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1