grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Fifty Shades 864 3205 26.96%
Peter Rabbit 41 1292 3.17%
15:17 to Paris 12 1131 1.06%

Fifty Shades doubled its showtimes yesterday, so some times have way more tickets sold than others. Peter and 15:17 also just went on sale yesterday, but Peter Rabbit seems to be in okay enough shape.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Disney had their business earnings call a few hours ago and said Black Panther is outpacing all superhero movie sales.

And now we have these reviews on top of it all. A CW sized OW or maybe even higher is starting to seem like a real possibility. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, iceni said:

Holy.  Crap.

It is crazy, but we do have to consider no CBM last year opened above 150, and CW was already two years ago so it might not be the best comparison for pre-sales. Though certainly not irrelevant either, pre-sales were already a huge thing back then too. If it's outpacing CW and it's not a sequel like that was, I can't imagine it's opening to less than 160. 

On 1/30/2018 at 4:00 PM, TwoMisfits said:

1st local is up...and Coco was gone, and now it's back - it's the movie that won't die:)...this theater continued its "fill up extra screens with foreign films" strategy (still no Oscar nominees re-releasing or expanding here:)...

NEW

Winchester (1 - smallest screen type)

Chalo (.5) - splits with

Touch Chesi Chudu (.5) (smallest screen type)

Returning

Maze Runner (1) (now has biggest screen type)

Baagamathie (1) 

Padmavaat (1)

12 Strong (1)

Den of Thieves (1)

Paddington (1) (moved back up to full screen)

The Post (1)

Jumanji (1)

The Greatest Showman (1)

Coco (.4 - 1st 2 shows) / The Last Jedi (.6 - last 3 shows) - I expect these 2 to be the 1st drops next week

Gone

Insidious, I Tonya, The Commuter

1st local (Cinemark) is up - it's a clear out week, and new foreign films probably fill the 1-week role heading into Black Panther...here's the set...

NEW

50 Shades (1) (largest size)

15:17 (1) (average size)

Peter Rabbit (1) (above average size)

Pad Man (1) (smallest size)

Toliprema (1) (smallest size)

Gayatri (.5) (smallest size)

Returning

Winchester (1)

Chalo (.5 - splitting with Gayatri)

Maze Runner (1)

Padmavaat (1)

Paddington (.6 - 1st 3 shows)/ 12 Strong (.4 - last 2 shows)

Jumanji (1)

The Greatest Showman (1)

Gone

The Last Jedi finally gets dropped here...Also gone is The Post, Den of Thieves, Coco, and multiple foreign entries...

It amazes me that the current domestic entries are so weak that a 12 screen for Valentine's Day week is offering 4 screens of foreign films even with 3 new openers!

• Like 1

My theater is making a biiiig mistake by keeping Den of Thieves around next week. I posted today's sales in the daily thread, and the only movies that sold less than it were Coco and Forever My Girl. They would have been much better off slashing it to give SOW and 3B full screens.