Jump to content
grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Recommended Posts

So going forward, what are the new rules gonna be in regards to posting about pre-sales, #s, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said thank you @EmpireCity your insight will be missed. You have been quite an asset to this place over the last couple of years. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, franfar said:

So going forward, what are the new rules gonna be in regards to posting about pre-sales, #s, etc.?

 

No rules, if someone is kind enough to provide us presale numbers, we thank them and hope they don't get disseminated far and wide. Same with box office #s and early reviews.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, franfar said:

So going forward, what are the new rules gonna be in regards to posting about pre-sales, #s, etc.?

 

We won't have access to presales, generally. If someone shares something with a staff member, we might post only the numbers, but it's going to be dependent on whoever contacts us and our own discretion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, franfar said:

Thank you EmpireCity, for your contributions to the forum. They were really valuable, but I understand your decision.

 

This is really disappointing. Someone guys in their parents' basements ruined a good thing, all because they deify their favorite grown men in skintight costumes (not saying the movies are bad, but just step back and think about it). It's so gross.

Fixed that for ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

 

No rules, if someone is kind enough to provide us presale numbers, we thank them and hope they don't get disseminated far and wide. Same with box office #s and early reviews.

Wait don't we have pre-sale #s from Pulse and what-not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, franfar said:

Wait don't we have pre-sale #s from Pulse and what-not?

 

Pulse and MT are public. Literally no issue putting those up, but we will only have placements or percentages, not actual numbers anymore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@grim22 so I am to gather there won't be some kind of site wide repercussion? This is the kind of thing that several of us have griped about for awhile. Between shit posting, poor attitudes and an obvious IMBD influx where we were told "wait and see it can't be that bad" to the invasion of rude newbies this place has become near insufferable. Honestly if it wasn't for the years of relationship building with folks like Tele, Baumer and Filmlover (and others) from the BOM days I would be gone. 

 

I honestly miss the days when all we had to worry about was kal-els Superman fan boning and Noctis' Harry Potter obsession. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not really calling for an inquistion on comic book fans. 

Aw, man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn. I agree with @narniadis tbh. There need to be repercussions. I was on the "give them a chance" train for a while, but um, I'm not sure anymore. The users doing this seem very ill intentioned by disrupting our good thing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

@grim22 so I am to gather there won't be some kind of site wide repercussion? This is the kind of thing that several of us have griped about for awhile. Between shit posting, poor attitudes and an obvious IMBD influx where we were told "wait and see it can't be that bad" to the invasion of rude newbies this place has become near insufferable. Honestly if it wasn't for the years of relationship building with folks like Tele, Baumer and Filmlover (and others) from the BOM days I would be gone. 

 

I honestly miss the days when all we had to worry about was kal-els Superman fan boning and Noctis' Harry Potter obsession. 

 

We are taking steps towards that, but we have to be careful of not censoring free speech. You already saw @Tele Came Back's thread from yesterday. There has been a general feeling that there isn't the camaraderie there used to be here anymore, which is understandable as a site grows larger. We have to strike a balance between being welcoming of all new members regardless of where they came to us from and being authoritarian in moderating things. We already started this with the "No derailments" in weekend threads which has made those threads considerably better IMO over the past month. We will discuss this for sure and see how we take things forward while maintaining user freedom, people should feel welcome here which is the #1 priority. The more comfortable everyone feels, the better the community becomes.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Asgard2

 

giphy.gif

 

Thank you for what you did. You will be remembered. 

 

As for the situation...

 

giphy.gif

 

 

:( 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

@Asgard2

 

giphy.gif

 

Thank you for what you did. You will be remembered. 

 

As for the situation...

 

giphy.gif

 

 

:( 

Who's Asgard2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@grim22 @Tele Came Back I know this puts you and the whole mod team in a tight place. I just honestly thinkthink regardless of how the situation pans out this is where we look back on the forum and see it as the turning point. It either moves forward with more careful guards in place which feels like crimping of free speech or we eventually become what IMDB and reddit are known and despised for. That balance has never been found in movie forums as noted by the breath of fresh air this place was in comparison to the last days of MOJO. 5.5 years was a good run but it appears to have come to an end. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC, we had a similar issue happen with another poster (whose name had something to do with pasta, I think? :lol:) who posted actual box office info on what films were making on an hourly basis, which was data taken directly from theaters. That was put to a stop. We also used to get info like that from notfabio for years and years on HSX. In general, based on my experience on this forum and others, the issues that arise are because it's data direct from a source and either:

 

1) The poster feels it may compromise their job at a certain point

2) The administration on a site decides it's not worth the hassle, which is usually the result of the source for that data not being happy with it being publicly spread.

 

The latter was the case with the pasta guy. It's frustrating when either case happens, but I understand it. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, seems like some real bad shit went down here. This is what I feared would happen after the ImdB boards shut down, so it obviously sucks. I cannot fathom why people would get riled up so much over any kind of movie, especially such ultimately meaningless ones like comic book movies. I would also take this opportunity to thank @EmpireCity for his contributions to this site. You will be missed, Sir! However, I hope that this incident won't dramatically change the atmosphere on these boards as a whole. This forum has an amazing community and we shouldn't let a handful of jerks disrupt our great climate around here. Hopefully this won't happen again and I think we should give the mods/admins their due for how they handled this situation because it could've ended much worse.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, franfar said:

Damn. I agree with @narniadis tbh. There need to be repercussions. I was on the "give them a chance" train for a while, but um, I'm not sure anymore. The users doing this seem very ill intentioned by disrupting our good thing. 

Yeah, tbh at first I was on the whole chance train, since I joined this site after I was an IMDB user for a month and that was in 2015, of course it's no where near as bad or as toxic as that site was. However, we need to be a bit harsher.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

IIRC, we had a similar issue happen with another poster (whose name had something to do with pasta, I think? :lol:) who posted actual box office info on what films were making on an hourly basis, which was data taken directly from theaters. That was put to a stop. We also used to get info like that from notfabio for years and years on HSX. In general, based on my experience on this forum and others, the issues that arise are because it's data direct from a source and either:

 

1) The poster feels it may compromise their job at a certain point

2) The administration on a site decides it's not worth the hassle, which is usually the result of the source for that data not being happy with it being publicly spread.

 

The latter was the case with the pasta guy. It's frustrating when either case happens, but I understand it. 

 

Ah, my 1st movie board before I found this one (better discussion and games here:)...notfabio, he is one I miss from that site.  Has he ever popped in over here?  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks and much appreciation to @EmpireCity for your insight and for sharing early numbers. 

 

It's a real shame that we are losing Empire and that we will no longer have access to pre-sale numbers. This, along with rth being rather absent lately, could mean we will no longer have early numbers moving forward. A significant loss for the forum.

 

Peace,

Mike

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.