grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

15 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Unless I am mistaken?

Based on adjustments?

The biggest True Friday, Saturday and Sunday belong to the Avengers? 

If my calculations are correct (and simply going by the present data on BOM - of course we could argue all day about whether or not adjusting is useful or not, I simply use it as a small guideline of sorts), no, you are not mistaken. Avengers does in fact hold the crown for biggest true FSS gross adjusted for inflation of all time. Unadjusted, TFA is still the king (though barely, as Jurassic World stands less than 1M below it).

Adding to the adjustment argument is the fact that SW7 was a film that caused significant ticket price increases not only due to the huge IMAX and 3D percentages but because theaters knew that tickets would be bought regardless of raising prices. Q4 ticket prices in 2015 were much higher as a % than summer so it would make even more sense if JW's ticket inflated amounts were higher to a point.

4 hours ago, The Mad Titan said:

Something is off about the TFA/JW adjusted numbers. TFA did $700,000 more than JW unadjusted but is now over $10 million behind it and they only came out 6 months apart?

That’s not possible unless ticket prices or inflation went up more in 6 months than they did the previous 3 years. 

There is something very odd about Jurassic Worlds inflation numbers. I don’t think they’re correct on BOM

The rest of the box office is expected to ease, which is typical before a huge giant hits the marquee, that being Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War which many are expected to earn $220M over three days starting on Thursday night, April 26.

per deadline

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

The rest of the box office is expected to ease, which is typical before a huge giant hits the marquee, that being Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War which many are expected to earn $220M over three days starting on Thursday night, April 26.

per deadline

Also from Deadline:

Rampage and Quiet Place: $20-21M

I Feel Pretty: $15M

Super Troopers 2: $6M

Traffik: $3-4M

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

per deadline

So.... that's a bit of a jump from their $175m two weeks ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

TBF, Variety and THR also said $175m though maybe $200m or more.  They were all pretty fuzzy.

hm...

'Avengers: Infinity War' Tracking for Huge $200M-Plus U.S. Launch

Disney and Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War is tracking to open to a huge $200 million-plus at the domestic box office.

Projections could easily climb higher in the three weeks that remain before the movie's debut in theaters on April 27. Disney insiders are being more conservative, suggesting $175 million to $200 million.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

12 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Hmm then I guess it was just Variety that also had it between $175m and $200m

The every-hero-but-the-kitchen-sink Marvel adventure is on pace to open to a massive $175 million to $200 million when it premieres on April 27.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/avengers-infinity-war-box-office-1202744814/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

is I Feel Pretty being marketed correctly?  I have not seen a tv spot for it yet.  

Deadline says 3,400 locations.

STX seem to have a really small tv push has of now:

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/rampage-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1202754657/

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wi59/i-feel-pretty-movie-trailer

It play on bravo and seem to target it's audience has well has they can dollar wise, with no review in advance and no budget that seem to be selling on Schumer & the comedy genre pretty much alone.

1 minute ago, Thematrixfilm said:

it seems some movies do better than others just because it was decided to be that way from pre-arranged marketing.

Theater/screen count and marketing budget will be 2 major factor (that do not always work see Live By Night that got huge of both) yes, and non studio will have to choose which movie they will try more than studios.

But that choice from theater chain/distributor (for that price level) can be determined in part by how the movie test and the movie trailer test, not just 100% arbitrary completely absent of meritocracy.

• Like 1