grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

13 minutes ago, Alli said:

How the heck are Mamma Mia and Ocean's 8 ahead of MI-F?

Maybe the later release date inside the summer than many of those picks and bigger competition among target audience ?, if people were not voting for a top 10, counter programming to those superheroes/star wars movies have an advantage.

58 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Maybe the later release date inside the summer than many of those picks and bigger competition among target audience ?, if people were not voting for a top 10, counter programming to those superheroes/star wars movies have an advantage.

Some of the guys at Slash Film did predictions for the summer BO and some of them have both Mamma Mia and Ocean's 8 ahead of MI-F.  Baffling...

https://www.slashfilm.com/2018-summer-movie-wager/

• Like 1

Well Mamma Mia is the most profitable movie in Universal history (at least it was before their 2015 year), it was a special home video phenomenon, not sure for baffling.

Ocean 8, that quite optimistic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well Mamma Mia is the most profitable movie in Universal history (at least it was before their 2015 year), it was a special home video phenomenon, not sure for baffling.

Ocean 8, that quite optimistic.

The game is only domestic. And Mamma mia made 144M.  the sequel will surely drop.

Anyway, i'm gonna listen to the podcast to hear their justification for the predictions

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Looking at that Fandango poll, Ant Man is a major after thought this summer. Zero buzz. 

Less than Sicario 2, lol. 

IW is hurting it for the time being. I mean let's be honest, what MCU fan in their right mind cares one bit about an Ant Man movie right now with IW looming so large? That said, if IW generates lots of audience goodwill, it will only be a good thing for AM2 when it opens. Might end up eyeing 100 on OW if IW is big enough and liked enough. 

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You are disappointed if IW open over 230M but not pass TFA record? 

Edited by fabiopazzo2

4 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

You are disappointed if IW open over 230M but not pass TFA record? 

Yeah. Especially since at that point it would be so close yet so far. Would seem very anti-climatic for it to get within like 20 or 10m and then miss after all that. 

Before anyone really starts complaining about the range of tracking, I recall in previous cases that their tracking models break down after a certain point and they more or less just throw up their hands and say: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe as more films cross 200m (never mind 225m) the better they'll get at being able to narrow down a range.  But at the moment I don't fault them for giving overly broad estimates.

• Like 3

Today sales, Avengers selling 3.15 time Deadpool new into the selling place is quite impressive. Super Troopers still looking quite good here

Avengers 9095
Super Tr 7598
I Feel P 4633
A Quiet  3518
Deadpool 2880
Rampage  2093
Ready Pl 1219
Blockers 1114
Traffik 1091
Black Pa 889
Bharat A 716
Isle of  586
Blumhous 584
Chappaqu 366
I Can On 277
Tyler Pe 255
Beirut 231
The Mira 173
Sherlock 156
A Wrinkl 92
Love, Si 83
Sgt. Stu 82
You Were 79
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From Wednesday if anybody didn't post. DHD raises IW tracking estimate to $220M OW.

The rest of the box office is expected to ease, which is typical before a huge giant hits the marquee — that being Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War, which many are expected to earn $220M over three days starting on Thursday night, April 26.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/rampage-a-quiet-place-still-at-war-for-no-1-amy-schumer-debuts-third-comedy-i-feel-pretty-1202366950/

• Like 1

I had a terrible morning, so I'm zoning out with some numbers.

4/14/2018 IW Standings

Spoiler

On 4/14/2018 at 2:42 AM, captainwondyful said:

Fancy Recliners: 

Thursday Previews (4 Showings): 127/331 [38.36%]

FSS (10 Showings A Day): 195/2787 [6.99%]

Love Seat Recliners

Thursday Previews (6 Showings): 114/278 [41.00%]

FFS (10 Showings): 146/1920 [7.60%]

Reserved Stadium

Thursday Previews (6 Showings): 195/1418 [13.75%]

FFS (36 Showings): 158/9842 [1.60%]

* This theater actually has a lower seat count on Saturday (of 454) due to the Met Opera screening at 12:55PM in the Largest Theater They Have.  

The elephant in the room is the IMAX theater doesn't have reserved seating.  It has scheduled 7 showings on Thursday, and 14 showings a day on FSS.  It makes sense the Reserved Stadium theater is dead: it's the same company and it's only 20 minutes from the IMAX.  It's also the only IMAX in the state, and the next closest one is 80 miles away.  I have no idea how the IMAX is selling, because there staff is hilariously obtuse about everything. They didn't even know pre-sales were happening when I bought mine.

4/20/2018 IW Standings :

Fancy Recliners

TH (4 Showings): 168/331 [50.75%] +12.39%

FFS (10 Showings A Day): 348/3429 [10.14%] +3.15%

Love Seat Recliners

TH (6 Showings): 153/278 [55.03%] +14.03%

FFS (10 Showings A Day):  267/1920 + 6.30%

Reserved Stadium

TH (6 Showings): 255/1418 [17.98%] + 4.23%

FFS (10 Showings A Day): 197/9842 [2.00%] + 0.40%

Thoughts: I don't have a complete picture, because the IMAX isn't reserved seating.  That said, LMFAO at the Reserved Stadium theater's numbers.  I always knew that was everyone's last choice, but it's nice to have data to confirm it.

4/20/2018 Deadpool 2 Standings:

Fancy Recliners:

TH: 0/117

Love Seat Recliners

TH: 2/156

Reserved Stadium

TH: 4/208

As you can see, we're wild for pre-sales up in the sticks of Maine.

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I know for a damn fact I would not be. The fact that it can even sniff The Force Awakens is mad impressive on its own. MCU may be popular, but it's not fucking Star Wars after all.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2