grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Local just added a 17th show for WW today in last 30 minutes (this is the theater that started the weekend planning for just 12 showings/day)...it is for an hour from now, and already only has 1 row left...

Wonder if they'll try for one more...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheMovieman said:

10am here sold out. 11:15am probably will too. Amazes me anybody would want to purchase tickets right up front (which was all that was available when I checked earlier).

Edit: 11:15 sold out, 12:30 sold out.

Edit 2: Over an hour before showtime, 2:35pm sold out.

Edit 3: 7:10pm sold out

Edit 4: 6:05pm sold out and 9:25pm certainly will

Edit 5: 9:25pm sold out; it'll be close, but the 11:15pm might sell out, currently ~70% sold

Updated

Forgot to add, if the 11:15pm does sell out, that would mean all 9 2D showings got sold out here. Nice.

Edited by TheMovieman

Looked at my local theater, of the 9 showings, I'd guess probably 3 or 4 will sell out. 10 am and 11:15 am only have maybe 10-15 seats left. I'm sure later showings will begin to fill up as well.

Update 1: So far so good. 10am showing sold out.

Update 2: 11:15am sold out. 12:30pm will be sold out, only 12 seats left

Update 3: 12:30pm sold out; 4:35pm and 6:05pm almost sold out

Update 4: 4:35pm sold out; 6:05pm will be sold out, only 18 seats left; amazingly 2 3D showings also SO.

Update 5: 6:05pm and 7:10pm sold out. 9:25pm doing good while the last, 11:15pm most certainly will not sell out (no surprise)

Edited by TheMovieman

4 hours ago, TheMovieman said:

Looked at my local theater, of the 9 showings, I'd guess probably 3 or 4 will sell out. 10 am and 11:15 am only have maybe 10-15 seats left. I'm sure later showings will begin to fill up as well.

Update: So far so good. 10am showing sold out.

Update 2: 11:15am sold out. 12:30pm will be sold out, only 12 seats left

Update 3: 12:30pm sold out; 4:35pm and 6:05pm almost sold out

Updated

• Like 1

I'm very curious to see how The Mummy builds on presales this week. It barely pops up on Pulse. I'm pretty sure it's selling like a ticket a minute. It's crazy it's gonna be in 4000 theaters tho. Does anyone know the lowest opening for a film in 4,000+ theaters?

16 minutes ago, nomyth said:

I'm very curious to see how The Mummy builds on presales this week. It barely pops up on Pulse. I'm pretty sure it's selling like a ticket a minute. It's crazy it's gonna be in 4000 theaters tho. Does anyone know the lowest opening for a film in 4,000+ theaters?

That's low for The Mummy but WW was only averaging about 6-9 tickets a minute for the week before it's opening week

Cloudy 2 with 4,000+ is the lowest with $34m But Ice Age 5 (or 6 or whatever) at just 9 theaters less did $21.373m

cDnwUb3WQtCrHe0qFJHvJQ08BJEmS5P54sFgOSZI

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nomyth said:

I was looking at BOM and apparently it's Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 that has the lowest opening (34m) for a film in 4000+ theaters. 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the shadows is not far behind (35.3m) 

I don't expect The Mummy to go below that, if nothing else it'll have an ok OW like Alien before completely dying unless reviews are excellent. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! I don't really know what to make of The Mummy yet. I've always smelled a disappointment for it but it's tough to gauge just exactly how far the brand recognition and Cruise's star power will get it. Tbh, I could see it making sub 30M.

18 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Why are you guys being so harsh on The Mummy?

Instead of it being a mega flop... it could just be a regular flop.

Lol, well that's where I'm currently at. Mega or regular? We'll have to see how buzz builds (if any) this week.

• Like 1

For those wondering if anyone else still wants to watch WW or if it's heading for a really low IM, my local cheap Tuesday theater has 15 seats left for my 7:30pm Tuesday showing and has SOLD OUT the 6:30pm Tuesday showing already...so not everyone got a chance to get in on the fun this weekend:)...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

For those wondering if anyone else still wants to watch WW or if it's heading for a really low IM, my local cheap Tuesday theater has 15 seats left for my 7:30pm Tuesday showing and has SOLD OUT the 6:30pm Tuesday showing already...so not everyone got a chance to get in on the fun this weekend:)...

I think it'll hold solidly today and it certainly looks like it'll benefit from discount Tuesday. The first real test (IMO) will be the Wednesday drop. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

And today?

thanks for the info

39 minutes ago, Wonder89 said:

And today?

thanks for the info

I'm busier today than weekend, so pulling the one local who had to up their screen and showing count over the weekend (it's 16 today, so they kept the extra screen permanently).  We are in school here, so plan according...here are current numbers of shows not started yet...

2d

4:20pm 45/200

6:35pm 21/60

7:30pm 38/200

9:45pm 6/60

10:40pm 7/200

3d

3:25pm 15/60

5:30pm 8/110

8:30pm 7/110

Since this theater has discount Tuesday, it is packed already for Tuesday (it's one of the few theaters in the area here who does it for a day, and not just morning shows)...as an example, tomorrow's 4:20pm show is already 150/200 and even 10:40pm is 62/200 (and you know how the primetime ones are)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, God Emperor Tele said:

I think it'll hold solidly today and it certainly looks like it'll benefit from discount Tuesday. The first real test (IMO) will be the Wednesday drop. 

I actually think the real test will be Father's Day weekend (is it the big choice like I think it will be - super-hero loving dads love having any female hero to introduce their daughters to, and this is the iconic one:) and onward...when pretty much all schools are out and this will be in 2d only...will this become a big family option this summer since it suits boys and girls...families make those sexy, sexy legs happen:)...

In a perfect, perfect world, this would have a run like last summer's Pets...it will never happen, everything says it shouldn't...but a lot of things (like Jurassic World, Dory, Pets, Deadpool) shouldn't have happened...so I'll keep the dream alive at least past Father's Day b/c Pets started with 51 and then 41 percent drops and then just rocked the dog days of summer...

EDIT: My realistic dream number is $309M - 3x the OW...but if it had a Pets like run, in could give GOTG a run for the summer, so I'm gonna stay as the WW cheerleader (it's better than being the Baywatch one:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits