grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just now, franfar said:

You're fine. It's not comic book fans we're mad at, it's the vocal minority who take their favorite movies too seriously and ruin the overall atmosphere for everyone else. And that happens in every genre

I was lightening the mood...a little:)...but seriously, some of Image's comics are world's better than DC or Marvel, so no need to ever showdown over those 2 companies b/c the world of comics is so big:)...

Sometimes I feel like I see the battles of old from when I was a kid between Star Trek and Star Wars fans being replayed now between the comics company movies...and it's like, why take a side?  They are both good (or have been good, in the case of one company trying to get better) and so is a ton of other sci fi you aren't seeing b/c you are fixated on those 2 series:)...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, franfar said:

You're fine. It's not comic book fans we're mad at, it's the vocal minority who take their favorite movies too seriously and ruin the overall atmosphere for everyone else. And that happens in every genre

Anyone else remember the Warcraft fanatics from last year? And of course Gokira last month.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Anyone else remember the Warcraft fanatics from last year? And of course Gokira last month.

Now the former is a story I'd like to hear. What happened to Gokira anyway?

• Like 1

On the bright side we still a have a number god left and one presale guy (I think) and it's not like we can't make projections out of Deadline, they're starting to do some beneficial change like early Thursday preview numbers, Friday updates, early weekday numbers for big openers opening week, and are becoming slightly better than before at predicting. Sure it's a massive bummer we don't have presale numbers anymore or early Saturday/Sunday numbers but at least we don't have to wait to read the news. Who knows we may have a new source.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

I haven't checked personally, but I recall someone saying that box office info and the like was being posted on that Power Rangers forum as well. So it's not just the CBM fans spreading everything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't mean to make this a double blow today, but unfortunately am also choosing to bow out going forward.  Found that things intended for this forum only were getting spread to other sites with posters very upset about random comments I had made concerning certain films and the bother isn't worth it.  

I will keep in contact with Tele and a few others, but will general comment only going forward.  

These boards are a valuable source of entertainment and information that is mostly used for fun and discussion.  The reality is that in this day of the internet far too many take something as innocuous as a comic book movie at way too high of a serious level.  

The vast, vast majority of you are great people but a few have bled in recently that don't seem to know where the line is between entertainment and reality.  

Thanks so much for all that you have provided us over the years.  You are a true asset to this place and even when I don't agree with you I still value your opinion.  I certainly hope we are on good terms.  We've bumped heads a few times but it was never personal...just a difference of opinion on certain movies.  I completely understand your frustration with what has transpired here and I respect your decision.  It sucks for us of course.  But thank you for all you have done.  

• Like 14

41 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Maybe open an exclusive part of the forum for trusted members, but that's an absolute ass-load of work for the mods and it would feel kinda unfair. 

Maybe it can only be open if you've been a member for a year or have at least 2000+ posts or something.

Edited by That One Valerian
  • Like 1

Just now, That One Valerian said:

Maybe it can only be open if you've been a member for a year or have at least 2000+ posts or something.

Segregation is not the answer. Unless you pay for the privilege of course, the premium and gold member forums are open :ph34r: 

• Like 6

I think it's important to realize that these numbers weren't posted elsewhere out of malice (as far as I can tell). People were just eager to share. And once they're out in the world, all bets are off, all it takes is people tweeting them around without thinking. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Segregation is not the answer. Unless you pay for the privilege of course, the premium and gold member forums are open :ph34r: 

Segregation isn't the answer.... unless it's financial. 

Capitalist mods smh

I wasn't around here at the time but I'm sure these forums have endured worse in the past, and will keep on enduring.

Keep up the good work mods. Box office nerds will always flock here, regardless of if we have insider infos or not.

That's just who we are :qotd:

• Like 8

We should also remind us all that this is certainly not the first bump in the road. Remember when the BOM boards closed down and we had to move to BOT? That wasn't too long ago and yet it now feels like nothing has ever really changed because the mods did such a great job accomodating this new forum. So I'm optimistic that this won't bother us for too long and we'll recover nicely.

• Like 6

I just want to say I truly love this forum and everyone on here. I know my account is like 9 months old, but this place is fantastic. Hopefully I haven't been too annoying with clubs or my stanning for Ninjago. We are all united on here by the love of two things: movies and box office. Together we'll remain strong no matter what obstacles we face.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 7

Bah, I just hope the user doesn't get into actual trouble cause of it. I can live without pre-sale numbers but someone losing their livelihood? That would be the worst outcome from this.

It seems this forum is becoming more well-known among CBM fans(movie fans in general actually) specially after IMDB shut down and while that's a nice compliment it does have its downsides and I'd be careful about these downsides from now on.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 14

BOT may be bruised and bloodied but not beaten. My hugest thanks to the specific posters (everyone know's who I'm talking about) who have provided us with valuable info and my deepest respects for anyone deciding to back out. As for the site as a whole, there's bound to be a bad apple in the mix at all times, but nearly everyone on these boards continue to be strong and respectful people. And I hope we all go into the future continuing to even improve our ability to make predictions.

Maybe this is just the time we need to stop being handheld and need to stand on our own two feet when looking at tracking numbers and the like. We still have amazing sources with MT or The Pulse, and of course BOM is always there to provide data.

• Like 6

Well now that we've all said our piece, let's actually do what this thread was intended for.

MT:

1. Guardians 2: 36.5%

2. Snatched: 12.6%

3. King Arthur: 11.5%

4. Alien: Covenant: 4.2%

5. Baahubali 2 (Telugu): 4.1%

Pulse:

1. Guardians 2

2. Snatched

3. King Arthur

4. Alien

5. Guardians 2 3D

Pulse Watch:

19 for Wimpy Kid, 43 for Everything, Everything, 4 for Baywatch, 36 for Pirates, 29 for Wonder Woman, 1 for Captain Underpants, and 11 for All Eyez on Me.

• Like 3