grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just now, filmlover said:

Will be anyone be surprised if Transformers significantly underperforms? Everything about it looks completely interchangeable with the previous movies, to the point that it might as well be reused footage.

depends. Still think it will make at least 180m domestic. This has always been a walk up franchise. Worldwide it will make at least 800m and likely more. Series is not ending any time soon

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's good, about 15% behind Cars 3 but I don't have any good comps for it. I do expect it to be very presale friendly though.

Despicable M3?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James said:

Being on the same level as Boss Baby is not really that great for Cars. It might be an animation, but it is a franchise. 

Not to mention the difference between Spring break and Summer. I think Deadline reported 80% of K-12 are out today? That's a lot more than back in March 

5 minutes ago, James said:

Being on the same level as Boss Baby is not really that great for Cars. It might be an animation, but it is a franchise. 

Animation wise BB had average presales like most even Pets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Animation wise BB had average presales like most even Pets.

But Pets was also an original movie. That is my point. This is a franchise. It might be an animation, but I still think it is more fan-driven than something like Boss Baby or Pets. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, James said:

But Pets was also an original movie. That is my point. This is a franchise. It might be an animation, but I still think it is more fan-driven than something like Boss Baby or Pets. 

It's also Disney and Disney fans tend to prebuy...

So, it's not a good sign, but it's also only Monday...families may have been caught up in the hype of Wonder Woman and haven't made weekend plans yet...

Even though I think and thought this would be a relative Pixar fail (sub $200M and not beating the prior movies BO, even with inflation of ticket prices), I'm not writing it off til either reviews kill it or it actually opens...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 minutes ago, James said:

Besides Cars 3 is less Dory/Minions in terms of presales and more Moana/Sing in presales.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It's also Disney and Disney fans tend to prebuy...

So, it's not a good sign, but it's also only Monday...families may have been caught up in the hype of Wonder Woman and haven't made weekend plans yet...

Even though I think and thought this would be a relative Pixar fail (sub $200M and not beating the prior movies BO, even with inflation of ticket prices), I'm not writing it off til either reviews kill it or it actually opens...

while it is no Inside Out reviews say it is much better than Cars 2 and some say it is better than the first

I wouldn't say the reviews yet are indicative...it's running in the 60s - that's not great and it might drop a lot (or rise) with only 13 reviews in...

I'd worry more about the user ratings on rotten tomatoes...those are about the same as captain underpants (actually lower, but I think CU's went up a little since opening)...not sure if that indicates interest not being there for this...

But for Disney, no matter the box office, this movie was made to sell these toy characters to the next generation of 3-9 year old boys...if they do that, they win...

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But for Disney, no matter the box office, this movie was made to sell these toy characters to the next generation of 3-9 year old boys...if they do that, they win...

The money Cars merchandise has made is insane, it's over $10bn. The box office money is a drop in the ocean

For this board (presale tracking:)...

Put this on the Cars 3 board too, but Disney is now offering 4 free tickets to Cars 3 for its Disney Premier credit card members in a targeted email campaign.  That should bump presales for OW quickly, and I'd look for them to offer enough tickets to guarantee a higher floor than I initially predicted...probably close to the 1st 2 movies opening...

I've never seen this offered before for other Disney movies (not 4 tickets) or mentioned on disboards (where this info comes from), so I think it's a bad sign for the film, but YMMV...

• Like 1