grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Does anyone know when the embargo for The Book of Henry ends? It's now Tuesday and there are still no reviews. I'm really getting the feeling Focus is trying to keep word about it from getting out, and not just the incredibly-obvious-even-from-the-previews twist that

Spoiler

Henry dies.

Also some theaters around me have already posted their showtimes for the weekend and man there are looking to be some brutal drops with the arrival of four wide openers. It Comes at Night is gonna start sharing a screen at some of the smaller locations and while Pirates, Guardians, and Baywatch are leaving some others. Have to imagine drops of at least 1,000 theaters is incoming for those three.

• Like 1

I noticed WW seems to be following a really similar path to Iron Man. If you adjust to 2012 dollars on mojo it actually looks pretty close.

That would give it a 353M finish.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I noticed WW seems to be following a really similar path to Iron Man. If you adjust to 2012 dollars on mojo it actually looks pretty close.

That would give it a 353M finish.

Why 2012. Plus Wonder Woman drop way better than Iron Man minus previews

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Screens/showings planned for 4 opening movies...

Mall will get all 4 movies, however it has not decided on 47 Meters eventual theater for weekend yet

Cars 1 Imax 2d screen, 1/2 3d screen, 1/2 2d screen for 2 total screens and 11 total showings

All Eyez 1 2d screen and 5 total showings

Rough Night 1 2d screen and 7 total showings

47 Meters TBD (has 2 showings Thurs night, so it will be here)

Local 1

Cars 1 3d, 1 2d for 2 total screens and 10 total showings

All Eyez 1 screen and 4 showings

Does not seem like it will have Rough Night or 47 Meters since neither have Thursday showings yet nor Friday-Sun screens

Local 2

Cars 1 3d, 1 2d screen for 2 total screens and 10 total showings (weirdly 4 3d, 6 2d)

All Eyez 1 screen and 5 showings

Also does not seem like it will have Rough Night or 47 Meters since neither have Thursday showings yet not Friday-Sun screens

It's bad for Rough Night b/c my area is perfect for it (we sold Bad Moms like no other, but the locals may not have booked it yet or may be looking to add it next week after they can get rid of this weekend's bombs for their probably required 2 week runs)...

My theaters add more showings/screens if they are really selling, so I'll update Wed/Thurs if they do...

Local 2 has ADDED Rough Night to the slate (they probably decided to dump a movie early yesterday...now I have to wait to find out which one, since they have still not scheduled holdovers for the weekend)...it will get 1 screen and 5 showings...that's gonna help this movie b/c I expect this theater will sell out all the Rough Night showings if it's at all non-sucky (it is only getting one of the smallest 60 seat theaters, though)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

My theater has posted the schedule for this weekend and they are getting: Cars 3 and All Eyez on Me on 2 screens, Rough Night, 47 Meters Down, The Book of Henry, and Beatriz at Dinner. Half the auditoriums right there.

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

My theater has posted the schedule for this weekend and they are getting: Cars 3 and All Eyez on Me on 2 screens, Rough Night, 47 Meters Down, The Book of Henry, and Beatriz at Dinner. Half the auditoriums right there.

May holdovers are dead. Anything that didn't perform well in second weekend will get dropped badly. Covfefe, Mummy, Arthur, Snatched, Baywatch will be the first to go, Guardians (because it is making little now) and Pirates will follow. Pirates will get a stay this weekend thanks to double features, next weekend will see it bleeding.

Just now, grim22 said:

May holdovers are dead. Anything that didn't perform well in second weekend will get dropped badly. Covfefe, Mummy, Arthur, Snatched, Baywatch will be the first to go, Guardians (because it is making little now) and Pirates will follow. Pirates will get a stay this weekend thanks to double features, next weekend will see it bleeding.

Baywatch is getting sliced down to one show at night at most of the theaters keeping it for this weekend, it's a goner when Paramount opens Transformers next Wednesday. Is King Arthur even still playing at more than a few hundred theaters, if that? Pretty sure that flat theater count on BOM is a typo.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

ICAN and Megan Leavey will go before Mummy, GOTG, and POTC. Snatched is already out of most theaters, and I'm guessing KA had a bunch of drive ins with WW for its TC to be so high.

My theater has only uploaded Thursday showtimes so far, but they're getting all 4 releases with one showing each for previews. Baywatch, GOTG, Everything Everything, and Megan Leavey are losing their showings that night. WW still has 3 screens and Mummy 2, so I'm guessing those two each lose one screen while GOTG and ML go split screen and Baywatch/EE leave. 

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

My theater has only uploaded Thursday showtimes so far, but they're getting all 4 releases with one showing each for previews. Baywatch, GOTG, Everything Everything, and Megan Leavey are losing their showings that night. WW still has 3 screens and Mummy 2, so I'm guessing GOTG and ML go split screen this weekend while those two each lose one screen and Baywatch/EE are gone. 

My theater is cleaning house this weekend as well. A bunch are leaving and just as many (including Guardians and Baywatch) are having showtimes sliced off while movies like Captain Underpants and Pirates 5 are being sent to the smallest auditoriums.

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

My theater is cleaning house this weekend as well. A bunch are leaving and just as many (including Guardians and Baywatch) are having showtimes sliced off while movies like Captain Underpants and Pirates 5 are being sent to the smallest auditoriums.

Before my theater releases their showtimes, this is where I think everything ends up:

Biggest: Cars (already confirmed)

2nd Biggest: WW

Averages: 47 Meters, All Eyez on Me, Captain Underpants 2D/3D, The Mummy 2D/3D, POTC, Rough Night

4th Smallest: Cars 3D

3rd Smallest: ICAN

2nd Smallest: GOTG/Megan Leavey

Smallest: WW 3D

My theater only has six 3D projectors and the biggest auditoriums will more than likely show only 2D, so I'm guessing POTC loses 3D.

Edit: Looks like Cars got upped to the biggest. Hmm.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Before my theater releases their showtimes, this is where I think everything ends up:

Biggest: WW

2nd Biggest: Cars (already confirmed)

Averages: 47 Meters, All Eyez on Me, Captain Underpants 2D/3D, The Mummy 2D/3D, POTC, Rough Night

4th Smallest: Cars 3D

3rd Smallest: ICAN

2nd Smallest: GOTG/Megan Leavey

Smallest: WW 3D

My theater only has six 3D projectors and the biggest auditoriums will more than likely show only 2D, so I'm guessing POTC loses 3D.

The six biggest auditoriums (which have reserved seating level balconies for 21 and older after 5) at my theater are going to Cars and Wonder Woman on the XD screen (the former plays during the day before the latter takes over), Rough Night, both screens for All Eyez on Me, and 47 Meters Down. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they end up moving Beatriz at Dinner into one of them and downgrade 47 Meters Down to one of the smaller ones like they did with Paris Can Wait trading places with one of the Baywatch screens a few weeks back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The six biggest auditoriums (which have reserved seating level balconies for 21 and older after 5) at my theater are going to Cars and Wonder Woman on the XD screen (the former plays during the day before the latter takes over), Rough Night, both screens for All Eyez on Me, and 47 Meters Down. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they end up moving Beatriz at Dinner into one of them and downgrade 47 Meters Down to one of the smaller ones like they did with Paris Can Wait trading places with one of the Baywatch screens a few weeks back.

Yeah, that seems likely. 47 Meters Down will be DOA.

Pulse:

1. WW

2. Cars

3. Underpants

4. Mummy

5. POTC

MT:

WW 39.9%

Mummy 12.2%

Underpants 8%

Cars 7.8%

POTC 6.4%

All Eyez and POTC are selling close to each other, so I wouldn't worry too much about its disappearance. Over 3 minutes, I saw 2 tickets for DM3 and 1 for Transformers.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Pulse:

1. WW

2. Cars

3. Underpants

4. Mummy

5. POTC

MT:

WW 39.9%

Mummy 12.2%

Underpants 8%

Cars 7.8%

POTC 6.4%

All Eyez and POTC are selling close to each other, so I wouldn't worry too much about its disappearance. Over 3 minutes, I saw 2 tickets for DM3 and 1 for Transformers.

The fact that Cars is on Pulse and Movetickets on discount Tuesday leads me to believe that $50M is going to be the minimum for it this weekend. Could probably go north of $60M too. 

• Like 8

On 6/13/2017 at 9:14 AM, TwoMisfits said:

Local 2 has ADDED Rough Night to the slate (they probably decided to dump a movie early yesterday...now I have to wait to find out which one, since they have still not scheduled holdovers for the weekend)...it will get 1 screen and 5 showings...that's gonna help this movie b/c I expect this theater will sell out all the Rough Night showings if it's at all non-sucky (it is only getting one of the smallest 60 seat theaters, though)...

So, Local 2 is 1st to set its full weekend slate...on top of 3 of the 4 new movies (they are not getting 47 Meters) getting 4 screens of 12, here is the breakdown for the holdovers...

WW - 3 screens and 14 showings (1 3d, 13 2d) - this is 1 more showing than they had for weekend 2...this movie is selling bonkers at this theater, so no surprise...they have reduced the 3d showings and moved to more 2d ones...

Mummy - 2 screens and 10 showings (2 3d, 8 2d) - same as this past weekend, except a little less 3d

It Comes at Night - 1/2 screen and only 2 showings in 2d - this got slashed hard

CU - 1 screen and 6 2d showings - about the same as this past weekend but no 3d left

Pirates - 1 screen and 5 2d showings - about the same as this past weekend

GOTG - 1/2 screen and 3 showings - it lost 1/2 screen from this past weekend

Baywatch, Snatched, Wimpy, Everything Everything all gone (Baywatch big loser b/c it had a full screen last weekend while the other 3 had only a few shows a day)...

EDIT: Local 1 now set...in a surprise, they added the other 2 openers last night, so holdovers got slashed at this place.  In addition to the 2 I listed before, the 2 other news movies each get a screen, for 5 screens for the new movies...so the other 7 screens are as follows...

WW - dropped to 1 screen + an extra 3d showing (had 2 screens this week)

Mummy - kept both screens (3d and 2d) - this will obviously be Transformers screen next week

CU - dropped to 1 screen

ICAN - kept 1 full screen

Pirates - kept 1 full screen

Baywatch - dropped to 1 show a day total

GOTG 2 - dropped to 1/2 screen (sharing the WW 3d and Baywatch showing here, too)...

Everything else is gone...holdovers (not named WW, Mummy, and probably Pirates, since it kept its 1 screen both places) will be getting slaughtered this week...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2017 at 2:48 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Alien: Covenant, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, and Snatched are gone.

The Mummy: 8 (4 2D/4 3D; Average and 4th Smallest)

It Comes at Night: 4 (Average)

Megan Leavey: 4 (Average)

Wonder Woman: 11 (Flat; 5 2D/6 3D; Biggest, Average, and Smallest)

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie: 5 (Flat; 3 2D/2 3D; 2nd Biggest)

Baywatch: 4 (Down 1; 2nd Smallest)

Everything, Everything: 4 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: 4 (Flat and Lost 3D; Average)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales: 4 (Down 4; 2 2D/2 3D; Average)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Baywatch, Everything Everything, and Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 are gone.

Cars 3: 9 (5 2D/4 3D; Biggest and Average)

47 Meters Down: 5 (Average)

All Eyez on Me: 5 (Average)

Rough Night: 5 (Average)

The Mummy: 9 (Up 1; 5 2D/4 3D; Average and 3rd Smallest)

Wonder Woman: 7 (Down 4; 6 2D/1 3D; 2nd Biggest and 4th Smallest)

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie: 5 (Flat and Lost 3D; Average)

It Comes at Night: 5 (Up 1; 2nd Smallest)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales: 4 (Flat; 2 2D/2 3D; Smallest)

Megan Leavey: 2 (Down 2; 4th Smallest)

Note: Summer hours have begun, so this is why some movies have an uptick of one showing.

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats