grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

17 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Don't really know if outpacing a three-year old movie is something to celebrate, but I'm sure the movie's pre-sales are fine either way.

We don’t know by how much CM outpace CW... probably it’s more close to BP than CW

6 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

ant man and the wasp top 5, how a 75m opening is that high in presales

Online ticketing and presales are getting more and more commonplace and has seen steady increases every year. Stuff like Avengers, IM3 and AOU opened so long ago at a time when Fandango or Atom Tickets weren't nearly as utilized or popular as they are today.

• Like 2

To be honest the only thing we can gauge is that it's outpacing Ant Man 2. It came out not long ago which rules out time argument. However since presales started so early compared to AM2's 18 days or something ridiculous then CM is probably looking to be over 80 at this point, if not close to 100. 

Or perhaps there's just an initial rush that won't be fulfilled towards the end, who knows.

These sorts of headlines are common - it feeds the buzz machine, which in turn means more sales and more money for the studio, the cinemas and the ticketing sites. Without hard figures, and closer to the date, it's difficult to contextualize what all these "better than so and so" actually means for the movie's prospects.

But I don't see how this opens under 100 million. Maybe even close to GOTG 2.

Not gonna speak on Captain Marvel's OW, but I feel safe in saying it will easily pass AM&TW's preview number.

AM&TW  three days before premiere night:   2023 tickets sold in the Greater Sacramento Region (95 showings | 20.18% of all tickets sold)

CM fifty-eight days before premiere night:  1498 tickets sold in the Greater Sacramento Region (63 showings | 17.21% of all tickets sold)

Now it still is an open question how high the preview number will go, as I don't even have Day Two of pre-sale info yet.  But I'm fairly certain that Captain Marvel will sail by that T-3 day number for Ant-Man & the Wasp within a week or so.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Not gonna speak on Captain Marvel's OW, but I feel safe in saying it will easily pass AM&TW's preview number.

AM&TW  three days before premiere night:   2023 tickets sold in the Greater Sacramento Region (95 showings | 20.18% of all tickets sold)

CM fifty-eight days before premiere night:  1498 tickets sold in the Greater Sacramento Region (63 showings | 17.21% of all tickets sold)

Now it still is an open question how high the preview number will go, as I don't even have Day Two of pre-sale info yet.  But I'm fairly certain that Captain Marvel will sail by that T-3 day number for Ant-Man & the Wasp within a week or so.

Also notice that CM has 2/3 the showings atm... Surprisingly strong actually

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

Also notice that CM has 2/3 the showings atm... Surprisingly strong actually

That's why I added that.  One theater just added its showings today and won't show up until tonight's report.  A few others have only one or two showings and haven't even approached a temp slate, never mind a final slate.

Interestingly enough two of the busier theaters in the region (Century Arden and Century Blue Oaks) expanded the number of showings already from the initial slate Monday night to the count I made yesterday.  That's more of a tell than anything, actually.  At least IMO. 

Now I don't expect other theaters in town to follow suit, for a host of reasons.  But it still was a tell, if a minor one.

27 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Thor: R, GOTG 2 & SM:HC  don't rank in the top 5 - all films that came out after CW and had higher Thur previews and o/w than AM&TW.

AM&TW acted more like a family film than a CBM in it's last week of Fandango sales

Which means it's first day of sales happening so late and close to o/w was heavily skewed.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Slightly ahead of Ant-man 2 is not very encouraging for those $1 billion predictions. This is Guardians 2 all over again, fans setting expectations too high and then having to pretend they were not disappointed.

Guardians 2 made more money than Second Act :ph34r: 

Chris Pratt is a better singer than JLo confirmed

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Slightly ahead of Ant-man 2 is not very encouraging for those $1 billion predictions. This is Guardians 2 all over again, fans setting expectations too high and then having to pretend they were not disappointed.

Or another way to put it, slightly behind the highest opening weekend of all time and another 200m opening weekend , 700m domestic performer.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Agree ☺️

12 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Or another way to put it, slightly behind the highest opening weekend of all time and another 200m opening weekend , 700m domestic performer.  

Or Another way to put it is that Black Panther a $200M opener was beaten in presales by Solo a $80M opener.:redcapes:

Edited by Manny G
  • Like 2