grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Does @Charlie Jatinder want to weigh in at all?

I was looking for a comp to use for giving early estimates for US. Weirdly Infinity War worked fine for Captain Marvel.

I was thinking to go with A Quiet Place, but pre-sales are much more heavier. 

How will be Kong Skull? 

• Like 1

I don't want to put a ton of stock into the fact that Us isn't a sequel; Jordan Peele's name means a ton after Get Out's financial and critical success, and that's absolutely driving demand for Us in a similar way being a sequel would.

I think that Signs is a good comparison for this. That jumped about 125% from The Sixth Sense's opening, a similar jump from Get Out would put Us at $75M for the 3-day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Litio said:

I see no reason to believe US will be more presales-heavy than Halloween. Also, Us will have Imax screens on OW. Halloween didn't.

I agree, even saying it will be in the same neighborhood is a stretch considering what halloween was last year and that it was released at the right time of year.  

At the same time when presales get this big for a completely original movie, predicting 75+ seems like a stretch as well.

Inside Out is still the biggest opening for an original movie I believe. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MattW said:

I agree, even saying it will be in the same neighborhood is a stretch considering what halloween was last year and that it was released at the right time of year.  

At the same time when presales get this big for a completely original movie, predicting 75+ seems like a stretch as well.

Inside Out is still the biggest opening for an original movie I believe. 

Nope. Secret Life of Pets it was ~105M I believe

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Us up to 2nd place for the first time on MT:

1	42.4%	Captain Marvel
2	9.1%	Us
3	8.2%	Five Feet Apart
4	7.7%	Wonder Park
5	5.8%	How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

how is captain marvel ? good so far ?

1 hour ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I don't want to put a ton of stock into the fact that Us isn't a sequel; Jordan Peele's name means a ton after Get Out's financial and critical success, and that's absolutely driving demand for Us in a similar way being a sequel would.

I think that Signs is a good comparison for this. That jumped about 125% from The Sixth Sense's opening, a similar jump from Get Out would put Us at $75M for the 3-day.

Damn, Signs is actually such a good comp for this. Get Out was Peele's Sixth Sense, this could be his signs (as long as the end doesn't suck lol). Hopefully he doesn't go in the way of Shaymalan post-Signs though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Original in that it took the screenplay from Toy Story and replaced toys with dogs. :ph34r:

Well does someone really expect truly original movie from Illumination :ph34r:

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	29.836%	18993	Us (2019)
2	28.476%	18127	Captain Marvel (2019)
3	06.021%	3833	Fandango Early Access Shazam!
4	05.310%	3380	Five Feet Apart
5	04.215%	2683	Wonder Park

Us has officially jumped ahead of Captain Marvel on the Fandango tracker

Edited by dakus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1