grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I'm thinking Us is looking good for $60m+...it could go nuts with walk ups and last minute buys in the last 24 hours and get an outrageous number (ie - I'm not ruling out the high numbers I'm seeing on this thread)...and it's set to go huge, with my local 12s giving it 3 and 3.5 screens (I mean, at that set, it could hit $150M with my "$50M per screen max rule" at my locals, but I'm not going that far:)...

3 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I don't want to put a ton of stock into the fact that Us isn't a sequel; Jordan Peele's name means a ton after Get Out's financial and critical success, and that's absolutely driving demand for Us in a similar way being a sequel would.

I think that Signs is a good comparison for this. That jumped about 125% from The Sixth Sense's opening, a similar jump from Get Out would put Us at $75M for the 3-day.

But Signs was not M Night Shyamalan's follow-up to The Sixth Sense. Unbreakable was.

The Conjuring, James Wan's follow-up to Insidious, is more comparable. That movie jumped 215% from Insidious' OW.

• Astonished 1

Completely useless digression, I went to look at signs and sixth sense and found an error on mojo.  They list week #5 for sixth sense as 27.8m, but it's actually 34.2m.  Edit, a lot of the numbers for sixth sense don't add up, not sure which are the correct ones

Edited by MattW
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

We could very well be getting something soon for Endgame. Looks like it's being teased a bit already. Get ready for the tracking event of the year to begin!

Pulse has had a few stray 3D tickets get sold here and there. Definitely foreboding something soon

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Pulse has had a few stray 3D tickets get sold here and there. Definitely foreboding something soon

My fantasy baseball draft finished yesterday, so...

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, YLF said:

What did 300 do?

In 2007, before cbm explosion, an R-rated new property opened to $70m. Then had good legs to reach $210m. Such a awesome run. 

Other than box office, don't see how US is similar. Did Zack had an Get Out before it? It's an opinion but I will put 300 bo run at same level as GO.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

My fantasy baseball draft finished yesterday, so...

tenor.gif

This being DST, posting Endgame results are gonna be painful for my sleep. I'll probably just do day 1 in the late night hours only and just make Marvel fans suffer until the morning.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

This being DST, posting Endgame results are gonna be painful for my sleep. I'll probably just do day 1 in the late night hours only and just make Marvel fans suffer until the morning.

CoolEric258 to Marvel fans:  I've suffered for my music tracking, now it's your turn.

(No-Prize to anyone who recognizes the reference WITHOUT looking it up ;))

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YLF said:

What did 300 do?

$70M, which was more than double even what the highest prediction was at the time. Us is already projected to do huge numbers but the scenario is similar: an R-rated movie from a genre that usually doesn't see such massive openings exploding in March thanks to the perfect storm of everything.

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

giphy.gif

On the right track, but wrong mockumentary. :)

EDIT::: Actually it wasn't from the mockumentary, but related to it. 

Edited by Porthos

20 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Wait, did the tracker not shift an hour for DST as well? I’d expect it to still be the same time relative to you, since it seems to run on US Central time.