grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 hours ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Thank you for the explanation, Barnack! Mendelson wrote an article a while back wherein he argued that domestic gross is still preferred by studios. With your explanation above, the article makes even more sense.

The WSJ did a breakdown of 2014 - so a bit out of date with DVD v digital and streaming (have basically swapped places) . As said certain blockbusters get a larger B.O. % but this is an average. Note UK has quite strong ancillaries as well though a significantly smaller cut of theatrical.

gLPcCu5.jpg

If the image doesn't embed just click the gibberish

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 mins from now will be the final update of the day, right? Shazam should about tie Dumbo, AEG might break 60, and hopefully Pet Semetary edges out CM and shows up.  

Edit: Nope, frozen already. Next update should be in 10 hours.    

Really hope Pulse is back soon :whosad:

Edited by Thanos Legion

39 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Theaters didn't know AIW was going to do $257.8m and are adjusting for AEG accordingly and then some.  These are just the starting number of screens.

I'll be very curious to see how many showings are added leading up to it. I will update my numbers every Wednesday until release week, in which I will do Wednesday and Thursday (5pm Thursday as I leave for the movie at 6pm.)

I'm hoping the theater gets to 3000 tickets sold.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

You could charge $20 more for nothing other than the 60 minute head start and they’d easily sell out XD

I have to admit I'm legit surprised there aren't any Infinity War/Endgame double bills.  With Endgame dominating, I can't call it a missed opportunity.  But at the same time, I'm sure they would have done bananas business and could have charged just about whatever they wanted for it.

(yes, I'm aware of the 22 film marathons)

Edited by Porthos

Just looked through all showings my theater has scheduled for the weekend, Thursday to Sunday we have 39 showings (Thursday probably won't get any more than the 11 it has but Fri/Sat/Sun currently only has 3 theaters playing each day which will go up) 

Thursday is at 558/763 tickets (73.1%)

Friday is at 515/812 (63.4%)

Sat is at 530/1042 (50.9%)

Sun is at 264/1042 (25.3%)

For a total of 1867/3659 (51%)

For comparison Shazam is at:

Thursday 34/327 (10.4%)

Friday 67/712 (9.4%)

Sat 52/890 (5.8%) (The 4 showings after 6 PM have sold a combined 6 tickets)

Sun (23/890) (2.6%) The 4 showings after 6 PM have sold no tickets)

For a total of 176/2819 (6.2%)

For its Thursday Endgame has 11 showings compared to Shazam's 3, however Fri/Sat/Sun both movies have a total of 28 showings, Endgame will go up, Shazam will not.

• Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I have to admit I'm legit surprised there aren't any Infinity War/Endgame double bills.  With Endgame dominating, I can't call it a missed opportunity.  But at the same time, I'm sure they would have done bananas business and could have charged just about whatever they wanted for it.

(yes, I'm aware of the 22 film marathons)

Question about that. If they did a double bill, would that money go towards Endgame or would half go to IW total?

3 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Question about that. If they did a double bill, would that money go towards Endgame or would half go to IW total?

However Disney would want to split it up, I presume.  I seem to recall hearing that before, at least.

But the point being is that on some double bills they jack up the price (with "exclusives" thrown in) so a ticket would probably be more than a two separate tickets.

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

That was the hour before, but actually the one for 80 minutes ago was the last of the night :(    

Will be interested what it has jumped to when numbers update again in 10 hours

One legit problem for Endgame: Diminishing returns.

Here in Sacramento at least, it'll be at the point where there's only so much blood can be squeezed out of the stone.  It's not so much my go-to standard of "low hanging fruit" as it more is "Showings that already have 70%+ sold find it REALLY difficult to keep selling seats".  

And before the very real fact of added shows gets put in, a bunch of theaters in the region already did that.  Not all, to be sure (already have 11 showings added today across the Sacramento area), but I think EG has reached something of a plateau in the region on screen count and will only go up in leaps in bounds closer to release.  Will probably be an increase here or there after things settle down in a couple of days, depending on when theaters decide to clear out more space.

Then there's natural drop off after initial rush. I mean, even Endgame isn't going to sell thousands of tickets here a day in the region. ;)

EDITED:::

As Ledmonkey96 reminded me below, EG is almost certainly doing brisk business for the OW and beyond.  So perhaps ignore SOME  of the points I made here. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Here in Sacramento at least, it'll be at the point where there's only so much blood can be squeezed out of the stone.  It's not so much my go-to standard of "low hanging fruit" as it more is "Showings that already have 70%+ sold find it REALLY difficult to keep selling seats".  

And before the very real fact of added shows gets put in, a bunch of theaters in the region already did that.  Not all, to be sure (already have 11 showings added today across the Sacramento area), but I think EG has reached something of a plateau in the region on screen count and will only go up in leaps in bounds closer to release.  Will probably be an increase here or there after things settle down in a couple of days, depending on when theaters decide to clear out more space.

Then there's natural drop off after initial rush. I mean, even Endgame isn't going to sell thousands of tickets here a day in the region. ;)

Depends on if they do the unthinkable for a Summer movie and start 2nd weekend pre-sales more than a few days ahead of the release.

7 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Depends on if they do the unthinkable for a Summer movie and start 2nd weekend pre-sales more than a few days ahead of the release.

KJQHP3y.png

===

Still, that does bring up a good point that EG is probably still doing very brisk business for OW, which I stupidly didn't take into account.

EDIT::::

YZV0Aru.png

No third weekend sales though (May 10). :lol:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Can’t sell any seats if there are no seats to sell. I’m mostly interested in your numbers because we are entering territory we’ve never seen before. It’s all new from here on. That comes along very rarely for us. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Can’t sell any seats if there are no seats to sell. I’m mostly interested in your numbers because we are entering territory we’ve never seen before. It’s all new from here on. That comes along very rarely for us. 

If I had the stomach for it (SPOILER: I do not :lol:), I'd be tempted to see just how far the penetration EG is reaching, both during the actual FSS OW and beyond.  But like hell am I gonna check out 1000 screenings locally. ;)

Might take a peek or three at select Century Arden showings for OW and beyond, but that's about it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Since AMC 25 and Lincoln Center are my "home theaters" for AEG OW, and since Pulse is down, I am doing a cursory seat count of both.  Here is

Lincoln Center.

84 Showings

11: Sold Out

24: Front Row

09: 75+ Full

11: 50+ Full

11: 25+ Full

12: >5+ Full

Full Breakdown:

Spoiler

Thursday   Friday Saturday Sunday
IMAX   Dolby      
6:00 PM Sold Out 2:00 AM 75+ N/A N/A
10:15 PM Sold Out 7:00 AM 50+ 75+ 25+
    11:00 AM Front Row Sold Out Front Row
Dolby   3:00 PM Front Row Front Row Front Row
6:00 PM Sold Out 7:00 PM Sold Out Front Row Front Row
10:00 PM Sold Out 11:00 PM Sold Out Front Row 50+
2:00 AM 75+ 3:00 AM 50+ >5 N/A
    IMAX      
Standard   2:30 AM Front Row 75+ 50+
6:00 PM Front Row 6:30 AM 75+ 75+ 50+
7:00 PM Front Row 10:30 AM Front Row Sold Out Front Row
7:30 PM Front Row 2:30 PM Front Row Front Row Front Row
8:00 PM Front Row 6:30 PM Sold Out Sold Out Front Row
8:30 PM Front Row 10:30 PM Sold Out Front Row 75+
9:00 PM Front 2 Rows        
9:30 PM Front 2 Rows Real D3D      
11:00 PM 75+ 7:30 AM > 5 >5 >5
11:30 PM 50+ 11:30 AM 25+ 25+ 25+
12:00 AM 25+ 3:30 PM 25+ 50+ 25+
12:30 AM 0 7:30 PM 75+ 50+ 25+
1:00 AM 0 11:30 PM 25+ >5 >5

Standard      
    8:00 AM > 5 >5 >5
    12:00 PM 25+ 50+ 25+
    4:00 PM 50+ 50+ 50+
    8:00 PM Front Row 50+ 25+
    12:00 AM > 5 >5 >5

I will retroactively go back and get theater sizes.

• Thanks 4

Here's an interesting little tidbit...

AMC Newport Centre 11 in Jersey City has 16 total showtimes for Thursday and ELEVEN are total sold out (like, total sold out, as in you can't even click on them on the AMC website!). The 5 remaining show times have sold 290 of 423 tickets (68.6%). All 5 of these showtimes are after midnight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, Porthos said:

EDITED:::

As Ledmonkey96 reminded me below, EG is almost certainly doing brisk business for the OW and beyond.  So perhaps ignore SOME  of the points I made here. :)

I strongly expect it to bump above 60 (say perhaps, to 62.5 or so) with tomorrow’s first MT update since it will flush all traces of discount Tuesday out of the system. Assume it drops pretty steadily from then until at least late Sunday night.

Updated by @akvalley: 2019-04-03 21:01:06 Central (Lock time Fridays 11:00:00)
BUY TIME	TICKETS	MOVIE TITLE
--------------------------------------------------
2019-04-03 20:00:00	1336	Avengers Endgame (2019)
2019-04-03 20:00:00	289	Shazam!
2019-04-03 20:00:00	214	Us (2019)
2019-04-03 20:00:00	199	Avengers Endgame 3D (2019)
2019-04-03 20:00:00	147	Captain Marvel (2019)

Just last two hours, probably incomplete:

Fandango Sales Past 24 Hours
Since: 2019-04-02 21:00:00 (US/Central - Chicago)

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	51.050%	2042	Avengers Endgame (2019)
2	11.725%	469	Shazam!
3	07.375%	295	Us (2019)
4	06.775%	271	Avengers Endgame  (2019)
5	05.025%	201	Pet Sematary (2019)

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 3