10:15 PM - 87/114 (76.3%)

11:30 PM - 133/167 (79.6%)

12:45 AM - 97/217 (44.7%)

Total

3163/4754 (66.5%)

Edited by FlashMaster659
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

To give BOP credit, their predictions are most of the time very grounded and realistic. They lean to conservatism though and thats what probably happened with Godzilla here. I mean nobody can accurately predict the future, maybe many of us here are wrong and the film does crash to a 45M OW. Theres just a lot of reasons that speak against that in my opinion.

Haven’t looked at the pros/cons yet, but isn’t May brutal with the release schedule?  Could be factoring in wallet fatigue.

Pikachu, John Wick 3, and Aladdin all that month.  Plus whatever is still going on with Endgame.  Even if Aladdin underperforms, and I guess the buzz has rebounded a bit, that’s still a lot of heavy hitters out then.  And, sure Wick 3 won’t be sucking a ton of dollars out of the market, but it’ll still get it’s fair share.

Maybe they’re just betting on that one to come up short, especially as they have Aladdin doing well, IIRC.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Haven’t looked at the pros/cons yet, but isn’t May brutal with the release schedule?  Could be factoring in wallet fatigue.

Pikachu, John Wick 3, and Aladdin all that month.  Plus whatever is still going on with Endgame.  Even if Aladdin underperforms, and I guess the buzz has rebounded a bit, that’s still a lot of heavy hitters out then.  And, sure Wick 3 won’t be sucking a ton of dollars out of the market, but it’ll still get it’s fair share.

Maybe they’re just betting on that one to come up short, especially as they have Aladdin doing well, IIRC.

Kong: Skull Island had this same situation in March against Logan, GiTS, BATB, and Power Rangers. Of the five Kong: Skull Island was one of the winners. I think at this point people shouldn't be counting MonsterVerse out when it's beaten OW expectations not once, but twice. 

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

With the first 1/4 of the year being lighter on the wallets anyway, perhaps people have planned ahead? :Gaga:

On 4/4/2019 at 5:11 PM, Thanos Legion said:

(What I’m pretty sure will be the) Final MT update today:

1	38.1%	Avengers: Endgame
2	20.8%	Shazam!    (33.6 adj)
3	8.8%	Pet Sematary      (14.2 adj)
4	8.6%	Dumbo (13.9 adj)
5	5.9%	Us         (9.5 adj)

And today, AEG has held onto a top 2 slot:  

17:00 Pacific Time

1	27.8%	Shazam   (33.2 adj)
2	16.2%	Avengers: Endgame  
3	13.8%	Pet Sematary     (16.5 adj)
4	11.7%	Dumbo (14.0 adj)
5	8.3%	Us         (9.9 adj)

Shazam’s % of non-Endgame tickets is actually down a bit, mostly due to Pet Sematary rising up. I’m sort of hoping to see CM hanging out at 5 again sometime Sun/Mon.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Kong: Skull Island had this same situation in March against Logan, GiTS, BATB, and Power Rangers. Of the five Kong: Skull Island was one of the winners. I think at this point people shouldn't be counting MonsterVerse out when it's beaten OW expectations not once, but twice. 

Maybe BOP is trying to do me a solid by telling me I don't need to track KotM’s pre-sales after the Endgame/Pika Pika one-two punch. ;)

(Yes, I plan on tracking Aladdin.  Probably. :ph34r:)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Maybe BOP is trying to do me a solid by telling me I don't need to track KotM’s pre-sales after the Endgame/Pika Pika one-two punch. ;)

Would you switch to KoTM for a fellow SW fan. :ph34r:

EDIT: Though Skull Island and G-2014 were walk up heavy so. 😄

Edited by Mulder

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Take a nice break before the true box office King arrives...  

🦁

38 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Haven’t looked at the pros/cons yet, but isn’t May brutal with the release schedule? Could be factoring in wallet fatigue.

Pikachu, John Wick 3, and Aladdin all that month. Plus whatever is still going on with Endgame. Even if Aladdin underperforms, and I guess the buzz has rebounded a bit, that’s still a lot of heavy hitters out then. And, sure Wick 3 won’t be sucking a ton of dollars out of the market, but it’ll still get it’s fair share.

Eh, not that brutal. A holdover will still win the month.

Edited by Thanos Legion

35 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Your post made me realize just how many movies I have to track in the coming weeks. Right now, all I have to worry about is Avengers. But after that, I'm pretty sure between Pikachu and Toy Story, I'm about to track at least one movie per weekend.

Lord give me strength.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Would you switch to KoTM for a fellow SW fan. :ph34r:

EDIT: Though Skull Island and G-2014 were walk up heavy so. 😄

I try to aim for anything that has a decent level of previews/75+ OW.  My real miss so far was FB2, and I thought I had a real reason to track that given various things.  

In retrospect, guess not. ;)

Other times I might do a last second track of a few days, like AM&tW and Venom.  Was able to catch  couple of double-digit previews that way that's been pretty helpful for lower level comps.

16 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Your post made me realize just how many movies I have to track in the coming weeks. Right now, all I have to worry about is Avengers. But after that, I'm pretty sure between Pikachu and Toy Story, I'm about to track at least one movie per weekend.

Lord give me strength.

Yep TS4 also on the horizon.  Just brutality.

13 minutes ago, Matthew said:

@Porthos How many movie will you cover? Your Data has been very good  as far as I have seen.

Detective Pikachu 

Alaadin 

Godzilla 

Toy Story 

Spiderman Far from home 

Lion King 

Anything that looks to have at least 10m in previews, really. Maaaaaaybe a little under that.  Otherwise just ain't worth all the effort.  In retrospect my kvetching notwithstanding it was worth it to track FB2.  Problem was, that over-performed locally thus what I thought might happen, didn't.  Sure the snowstorm out east didn't help, but even then it's clear that Sacto did better than many other areas, for whatever reason.

===

My complaining not withstanding, it'll be good to get some non-CBMs/SW films tracked.  Right now in that department, all I have is JW:FK and FB2.  I should have tracked Incredibles 2, but I suppose I wasn't in the best of moods post-Solo.  Can't imagine why. ;)  Don't see that really being an issue this year though. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is 100% anecdotal, but my 7:00 Thursday preview screening of Avengers has already sold out. For comparison, the 7:00 preview for Infinity War didn't sell out here until the day of.

Perhaps I'm being way too bullish, but with all the hype surrounding this one, I have to wonder whether The Force Awakens' preview record is within striking distance - even with the three-hour run time factored in. It seems like there's enough hype and enough of a rush factor for some jaw-dropping Thursday number to happen.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

This is 100% anecdotal, but my 7:00 Thursday preview screening of Avengers has already sold out. For comparison, the 7:00 preview for Infinity War didn't sell out here until the day of.

Perhaps I'm being way too bullish, but with all the hype surrounding this one, I have to wonder whether The Force Awakens' preview record is within striking distance - even with the three-hour run time factored in. It seems like there's enough hype and enough of a rush factor for some jaw-dropping Thursday number to happen.

Well, once you've decided either way: 

• Like 1

Since we're just starting to talk a bit about Pikachu, wanted to let peeps know that at Century Arden at least Endgame has the PLF screen for Pikachu's preview night. Checking some other theaters in the region, Engame still has the PLF screen that night at some of them, but others are still blank.

Did some checking on the net, and I can't see any reference to an IMAX release, so I don't know if it's getting one (haven't read the Pika Pika thread like, at all).  I did find Pikachu at a couple of Dolby Cinemas, so that's something. But having to split various PLF screens with Endgame will probably affect the preview numbers a little.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Since we're just starting to talk a bit about Pikachu, wanted to let peeps know that at Century Arden at least Endgame has the PLF screen for Pikachu's preview night. Checking some other theaters in the region, Engame still has the PLF screen that night at some of them, but others are still blank.

Did some checking on the net, and I can't see any reference to an IMAX release, so I don't know if it's getting one (haven't read the Pika Pika thread like, at all).  I did find Pikachu at a couple of Dolby Cinemas, so that's something. But having to split various PLF screens with Endgame will probably affect the preview numbers a little.

Pikachu has previews up already? 

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Pikachu has previews up already? 

On 4/4/2019 at 12:52 PM, CoolEric258 said:

btw Detective Pikachu's got showtimes up on Fandango, although you can't buy them just yet. Summer's right around the corner fam

On 4/4/2019 at 1:21 PM, Nova said:

Also Detective Pikachu showtimes are up at my theater 

:ohmygod:

Started showing up yesterday. :)   Nothing in my neck of the woods though, and it might only up at a few AMC theaters at the moment.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Pikachu doesn't have IMAX at all...at least right now. Endgame's entirely shot with IMAX cameras, so IMAX probably wanted to push that movie for a long time. I could see a scenario though where Pikachu and Endgame share on Pikachu's first week. When Grinch and Overlord came out on the same day, the former had IMAX during the day, while the latter had it during the night.

• Like 3