That One Girl

Tulip Fever | September 1, 2017 | Weinstein | Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne star

I had class today and my professor used Tulip Mania as an example of speculative financial crises.

My only takeaway was that the crash occurred because of Alicia Vikander cheating on Christoph Waltz and boning Dane DeHaan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

This will always be the funniest instance of false marketing to me. Only other moment that has come close is when Focus made those TV spots for Nocturnal Animals that made it look like the Jake Gyllenhaal character within the book was trying to get revenge against Amazing Amy.

• Like 1

Harvey Weinstein On The Challenge Of Growing ‘Tulip Fever’

(...)

But it took longer than it should have to get it all done and in our business that means, “Uh-oh! Something must be wrong with it.”

It’s easy for some writers to focus on a delay and be snarky, and that’s fine because snarky can be entertaining. But as a result, we decided to do something different — we decided to test the film with novelists who didn’t know about the post-production story of Tulip Fever, and we were more than vindicated with their positive reactions. 

(...)

Last night I attended a screening of the film (...). I spoke to the audience before the film — I was honest and let them know about the history of the movie but I asked them to have an open mind. Right after it finished, people were coming over to tell me how much they enjoyed the film. I know they meant it because believe me, I pressed them. No, they weren’t telling me that it’s Citizen Kane or Shakespeare In Love, but they loved the performances, the cinematography, the costumes, the twists and turns, and enjoyed it for the film it is. I’m sure that the critics will have their fun with it, but I’m proud of this movie, as is the rest of the team behind it. Tom Hollander wrote me an email immediately after he saw the final cut saying, “It’s great. Terrific cast, beautifully shot and great nuanced story. I realise you must have been round the houses with it all this time. But what you have now is really great. I am proud to be in it.” Alicia Vikander also reached out to tell me that her mom’s friend gave her a rare call just to tell her how much she enjoyed it.

As we near the end of the summer, after so many great films like Dunkirk, Good Time, Atomic Blonde and our own Wind River, Tulip Fever is a smart film for adults. And even if we don’t get a happy ending for the people behind it, my hope is that audiences will at least recognize the talent that went into making it and sticking with it. Justin Chadwick fluidly directed it with a wonderful cast who worked so hard and so long. Tom Stoppard and Deborah Moggach’s script is witty, ironic, and at times, deadly fun. I know this film’s not perfect, very few are, but it’s a perfectly good time in a movie theater. Writing this article is probably akin to putting a target on my back, but to paraphrase another far better writer, is it nobler to take the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune? I suppose this is my nuanced attempt to take arms against a sea of troubles.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/harvey-weinstein-on-the-challenge-of-growing-tulip-fever-guest-column-1202158947/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hahahahahah. I'm sure he's only putting it out in 600 theaters because it's such a smart film for adults and he only wants a special audience to recognize the talent and wit, too.

So smart he finally just let critics watch it after pulling it from screenings over and over.i

It's the same spiel he used about Snowpiercer -  only that never even got 600 theaters.  And his spin afterwards....

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/snowpiercer-harvey-weinstein-edits.html

I didn’t see the movie as commercial in a 2500 screen launch, which they wanted to do. I saw it as an art house film, the way he directed it. I said we should cut 20 minutes and a few other things. Major directors who I will not name said the same thing to me. Some of the biggest directors in the world said Harvey’s helping you. We came up with this idea about VOD and Snowpiercer worked great. Then I got criticized. They said, had I had the guts to go wide with such a great movie it would have done well. I owned Australia on the movie and I told them, go wide. We bombed. I wanted to see it for myself and then every other country, with the exception of France where the comic book is based and South Korea where Bong Joon-Ho is a huge hero, and the movie didn’t work anywhere except for America where we did this VOD platform and it was a spectacular hit. Nobody writes that article, one that says, that son of a bitch was right.”

His lies have lies.

The movie NEVER opened in wide in Australia.  It opened in TWO theaters- and even with that crazy PTA that's the only w/e that reported any B.O.

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank Weekend
Gross
/
% Change
Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week #
Jul. 24–27 16 $49,246 - 2 - $24,623 $90,795 1

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Just saw this. Absolutely bonkers article.

"Hey, I'm Harvey and FUCK HATERS. Look at this list of all these famous and important people I know that loves my movie."

My favourite part is this:

Alicia Vikander also reached out to tell me that her mom’s friend gave her a rare call just to tell her how much she enjoyed it.

Seriously. The main actresses mom's friend liked it... is that all he's got? I wonder what his summer holiday girlfriend in Canada thought?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, they weren’t telling me that it’s Citizen Kane or Shakespeare In Love, but they loved the performances, the cinematography, the costumes, the twists and turns, and enjoyed it for the film it is. 

Harvey acting like those two films are on the same level. yeah, ok i see you tryna sneak that in there.

• Like 1

You know all you guys ripping into this movie, why don't you see it before judging the quality? I mean it's funny that it's getting a small release and it's going to gross perhaps $2000000, but you guys have no idea if you're going to enjoy it or not. I plan on seeing it this weekend and I hope it's good. I will be sure to let you guys know one way or the other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

You know all you guys ripping into this movie, why don't you see it before judging the quality? I mean it's funny that it's getting a small release and it's going to gross perhaps $2000000, but you guys have no idea if you're going to enjoy it or not. I plan on seeing it this weekend and I hope it's good. I will be sure to let you guys know one way or the other.

It's a Weinstein "prestige" pic that was shot years ago and has been kicked all over the release date schedule since only to get dumped by Harvey on Labor Day weekend with barely a peep. Seems safe to assume that its troubled history is more entertaining than the movie itself.

9 minutes ago, Kingp0va said:

will it make a million this weekend?? 

Yes:

http://deadline.com/2017/09/labor-day-weekend-box-office-hitmans-bodyguard-close-encounters-of-third-kind-tulip-fever-marvel-inhumans-1202159557/

Tulip Fever (TWC), 765 theaters / $350k Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.2M/4-day: $1.44M/Wk 1