That One Girl

Tulip Fever | September 1, 2017 | Weinstein | Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne star

The Weinstein Company has a good-on-paper reason to make this release date change.

Will this film be the only wide release film releasing on its release date? Yes.

Will people go in droves to see this because of that?

No, probably not.

• Like 1

I just knew one of the studios would put something, anything, on September 1 last minute. Bad movie and a historically weak weekend or not, your movie's best chance of success is probably putting it on a weekend on which there are no other new releases. 

This is Weinstein just trying to squeeze whatever they can out of this movie.

• Like 3

Vulture: A Tribute to the Truly Bungled Release of Tulip Fever

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/a-tribute-to-the-truly-bungled-release-of-tulip-fever.html

So when I tell you that just this week, the Weinstein Company pushed Tulip Fever from a limited release on August 25 to a wide release on September 1, I don’t know whether that means you should reserve your ticket, laugh in my face, or both. I know I was amused to find out that after years of showing the film to journalists and then suddenly pulling it back, the Weinsteins have now set a review embargo that will elapse the afternoon of September 1, well after the movie is alleged to start playing for general audiences. But who knows if it actually will? A perverse part of me hopes the cycle will still continue, with contrite ushers entering the theater just as those initial Tulip Fever matinees begin. Why let Tulip Fever come out and be forgettable when it could slip away yet again and be the stuff of legend?

lmao

• Haha 3