aabattery

The Killing of a Sacred Deer | November 3, 2017 | A24, Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman, some others, directed by the mad Greek who did The Lobster

I think A24 might be aiming this film towards a platform-to-wide release. I am thinking this will be the case because- and, yes, this story is anecdotal- I went to my Regal-brand theater the other day and saw a poster of this film in the main lobby. The main lobby of the theater is usually only reserved for releases that are wide releases or guaranteed blockbusters! I think the distributor is looking at the recent success of offbeat horror thrillers like Split and Get Out. Do you think this means anything or is this just a coincidence?

Edited by slambros

2 minutes ago, slambros said:

I think A24 might be aiming this film towards a platform-to-wide release. I am thinking this will be the case because- and, yes, this story is anecdotal- I went to my Regal-brand theater the other day and saw a poster of this film in the main lobby. The main lobby of the theater is usually only reserved for releases that are wide releases or guaranteed blockbusters! I think the distributor is looking at the recent success of offbeat horror thrillers like Split and Get Out. Do you think this means anything or is this just a coincidence?

I hope so. This shit looks so dope

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I doubt this is going into over 1k theaters; A24 already plans to put Lady Bird wide before Thanksgiving, and this won't be GA friendly.

I'm thinking that A24 will at least give this film the Good Time treatment if you know what I mean. A semi-wide release that makes people happy, but not a release to the extent that Lady Bird and [inevitably] The Disaster Artist are going to receive.

11 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The Lobster got 560 theaters at its peak. This movie would be lucky to get the same or more considering it's a lot darker and November is much more packed with expanding arthouse releases than May/June. 

this imo, it felt much more like an other Lobster than the ultra standard and accessible/commercial Split/Get Out, would be extremely surprising if it caught among general audience anywhere like those did.

Doing 60% more than the Lobster (feel like the Lobster high concept was an much easier sales, at least really short to explain and sales) while reaching 1000 theater would be a huge accomplishment.

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Even so, Metacritic's still almost as high

Metacritic assigning their own ratings to grade less reviews after often what seems like only reading the first sentence  - and then giving different weights to different publications - is such a flawed metric.  It's usually not any better than looking at the top critics on RT where about a third of the critics don't have grades.

• Like 1